Search

.com Forum · Jack Russell Terrier

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Russells in real life
 Ruby Bloom Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/19/2014 11:05:59 AM reply with quote send message to Ruby Bloom Kennel Object to Post   

Do you own one? Do you show or compete in another dog sport? How do feel about all of the different Russell registries?

I have a male Russell/shortie named Cooper. Unregistered, though he's built nice enough that I wonder if he wasn't bred by someone who competes in conformation shows (we are his second owners). He's one of the most fun dogs I've ever known and started me researching the breed. Honestly it seems like it's a mess with all of the registries disagreeing with one another. It has me a bit worried about the future of the breed, honestly. So, if you currently breed/show/train Russells, I'd love hear your opinion and about how you are dealing with these issues. This is one of those things where you have to pick sides, so did you go AKC, UKC, other?

KitRussell
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2014 7:42:39 AM reply with quote send message to KitRussell Object to Post

I have had JRT's for 15 years, currently have 3. I have always belonged to the JRTCA/JRTCC. I fully believe in their approach to the JRT over AKC. The JRT is a working dog first and foremost and his accomplishments in the field far outweigh any wins in the show ring. He is not registered until he is a year old and grown and able to show he follows the breed standard. We have trials throughout the year where we enjoy so many events along with showing - racing is probably the most popular, but also go-to-ground, lure coursing, agility, barn hunt, trailing and locating... the terriers go home exhausted! And if you have a Jack Russell, you know that isn't easy to do! Here is the JRTCA's website if you haven't looked yet: www.therealjackrussell.com
 KitRussell
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2014 7:57:26 AM reply with quote send message to KitRussell Object to Post

www.therealjackrussell.com/jrtca/realjack.php
This is an excellent article explaining all the "different" Jack Russells happy :)
 Ruby Bloom Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2014 11:09:56 AM reply with quote send message to Ruby Bloom Kennel Object to Post

Love it, thank you! Seems like (at least the 'feel' I get from the different websites) the JRTCA is the most passionate registry when it comes to preserving the breed. I really like that they place so much emphasis on working - and it looks like there's a local club about an hour from here. I'll have to check them out.
 KitRussell
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2014 7:17:17 AM reply with quote send message to KitRussell Object to Post

What area of the country are you in? I might know someone you can get in touch with about fun days and such.. a way you can check out the club before joining happy :)

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.