Basic User

Basic User
3/17/2014 1:20:02 PM reply with quote send message to Fault Line Object to Post

Support.
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
3/21/2014 11:01:38 AM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

Just store your extra males in spare kennels like some of the super kennels do... Problem solved.

But quality moves forward so quickly, older males really wouldnt provide much value for show performance.

I do see this usefully for folks wanted to hold onto color genes or 10 traits.

Will
 Leidenschaftlich
Basic User

Basic User
3/31/2014 9:03:04 PM reply with quote send message to Leidenschaftlich Object to Post

You're not allowed to use other kennels as overflow, that I know of.

Basic User

Basic User
4/1/2014 11:27:00 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I have not supported this idea in the past. The reason for AI in real life is mostly about disease and distance, which are irrelevant here.

Life spans are generally not an issue. As has been said, by the time a dog gets "old" it is no longer relevant to the breed anyway. There are no limits to the number of breedings a stud can have.

The only legitimate reason for AI might be some colour projects but even there I'm not sure. It might be useful if we could go back in time and collect from some old dogs.

That said, I would not oppose "frozen" semen but I will not support it, nor do I anticipate using it. If it is added, I would expect the costs associated with collection, storage, and insemination to be comparable to the cost of maintaining a stud. There are many other things that need doing that are more critical (not just on SD).

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/1/2014 11:28:21 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Sigh, timed out - that was me.

Replies in this thread : 25
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class