Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Once a month breeding for basics?
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
2/25/2014 11:54:23 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post   

It's been suggested many times but the sites on the Third Row network have been somewhat slow as of late and I feel like making a one-breeding-monthly rule would make it more fun for those of us who aren't able to pay. I'm sure everyone will shoot the idea down though but I wanted to post it in case some of you support it.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/25/2014 1:46:54 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

I stayed on as a basic for over 1.5 years, and have only been a Premie for a year and a few days. I think it would be a nice idea, since some of us just can't pay for it.

Alexandria
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
2/25/2014 3:12:42 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I actually really like that idea! I waso only ever a basic for 2 weeks but I think it would promote play
 Kajat Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/25/2014 7:39:44 PM reply with quote send message to Kajat Kennels Object to Post

I'd support this. Breeding is the lure of this game and 1 a month is more likely to attract and keep more users. Those that can pay still will, but it should help retain more basic users, which in turn should boost the site.
 Rosemallow
Basic User

Basic User
2/26/2014 12:38:45 AM reply with quote send message to Rosemallow Object to Post

I highly support this. Right now SD simply needs more players and activity, even basic activity. More basics breeding would mean more showing which would in turn mean a greater incentive to subscribe and pay for full access to the game. So long term, I think allowing basics a breeding a month would be a great idea!
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
2/26/2014 12:06:23 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I believe that basic players should have all of the same benefits as paying players other than

1. a lower limit for number of dogs allowed. Maybe a max of 10-15 dogs as opposed to 30.

2. a limit on the number of breedings allowed each month. Maybe a limit of 1-2 litters per month.

In my opinion Showdog is THE best dog show sim on the internet. But to get the numbers (players) that we need to make this game thrive you have to have a LARGE "Free" player base.

Edited: because I had WAY to many "I personally believes" wink :)

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 2/26/2014 12:08:05 PM
 Shining Sun Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/26/2014 2:29:08 PM reply with quote send message to Shining Sun Kennels Object to Post

I completely agree with this! And love rhondacline's ideas happy :)
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/26/2014 8:49:12 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Rhondacline, your ideas are awesome! Nice way to get people to stick to SD happy :)

Alexandria
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/27/2014 8:08:59 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Oh wow! You guys support it...I suggested it once and everyone yelled at me for it xD I love SD but it is honestly a lot harder than ShowCats, my favorite of the Show-games. I think more breeding for basics would help.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2014 7:00:46 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Bump?
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
3/14/2014 2:57:39 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

I really don't see the need for this. It is hard enough to sell finishable dogs in most breeds as it is without basics being able to breed - there is no shortage of show quality dogs being produced. To make the game financially viable for Jeff to keep running there needs to be an incentive for basics to go premium. When I was starting that incentive was being able to breed, if I got 15 dogs and 2 breedings a month I might never have subscribed.

grif,
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/14/2014 12:09:00 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I would support the concept of an "improved" Basic, however I'm not sure that permanent breeding rights are the way to go.

I would support an increase in kennel size - perhaps 10 instead of 5, and perhaps an increased allowance to support that increased kennel size.

I would also strongly support a suggestion that would allow Basics to make their studs more available to the rest of us.

I would like to see the "first month open breeding" modified to a specific number (3-6) over a 3 month period with no concurrency - 1 pregnant bitch at a time.

Why?

As a paying customer, I always take the view that I am actually financially supporting a certain level of Basic participation in real dollars. I expect a degree of return for that financial support.

An active Basic with a larger kennel would potentially buy more showable puppies.

A decent allowance will allow those Basics to show more thus helping everyone by increasing entries.

NOTE: Breeders must be willing to sell decent dogs, particularly males, to those Basics who would then put those dogs at stud, for $25. There is no point in expecting Basics to stick around if they only have access to third rate dogs – they must see some success.

A regular breeding "Basic" could easily get by without ever buying more than a single pup. True, they would have to have acquired good breeding stock to begin with and make wise breeding decisions. I would not support permanent breeding rights for Basics. It should remain a learning tool with the hope that they will at some point subscribe.

The three months, non-concurrency means that they have a longer time to learn and test the game and they will not blow all their (3-5) breeding opportunities at once before learning a bit about the game. Plus, at three months they will have the opportunity to produce a second and possibly a third generation.

In order for the game to remain viable – in real terms – it requires paying customers. In order to keep a critical mass of paying customers there has to be a certain degree of dynamic change and evolution - new faces in the form of Basics to maintain a vibrant level of economic activity, and a sufficient number of these Basics signing up to maintain that critical mass.

An offshoot to this might be an improved “Obedience” competition – one which requires more than merely the dedication to come and push a button or two every day.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/15/2014 8:36:39 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

I don't think twice a month breeding would be good either. Maybe once, or once every two months. It would certainly get basics interested in subscribing, and it would keep them playing even if they can't upgrade. I know that personally it would make my game experience better because I can't upgrade right now.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/16/2014 1:43:54 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by griffin
I really don't see the need for this. It is hard enough to sell finishable dogs in most breeds as it is without basics being able to breed - there is no shortage of show quality dogs being produced. To make the game financially viable for Jeff to keep running there needs to be an incentive for basics to go premium. When I was starting that incentive was being able to breed, if I got 15 dogs and 2 breedings a month I might never have subscribed.

grif,

I agree.

Personally, 5 dogs is good enough for me. Not able to subscribe now, but showing is fine by me!

In a perfect world, more options to do things for basics would be nice, but this world relies on money to keep things going. Can't make someone want something, if they have almost all the perks that the folks who pay, do. happy :)

Just my two cents.

ETA - I used to have a family subscription many, many years ago, through different kennel names. wink ;)

-----
Last edited by Treestand Kennel on 3/16/2014 1:45:25 AM

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.