.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Rehoming Pitbull
 Spyte
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/25/2014 11:41:46 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post   

Hi everyone,

I am at a total loss right now. I have had a pitbull for almost a year now, however he has to be kenneled most of the time because one of my family members is afraid of him. Well about a month ago we had a fluke and he got out of his kennel. He was fine until we got home and the rest of the dogs got overly excited. At this point one of our other dogs jumped on him and the Pit took it as aggression. It turned into a full out fight. Well tonight, we got home, I pulled him out of his kennel and had him in the kitchen with me, my aunt told me to let him go. So I did, and the dogs got too excited again and he got our Greyhound. Now our male IW wants to kill him and so on.

Of course we have to rehome him, but I have no idea where to find the right home for him. I really do not want to take him to the shelter as ours is a kill shelter. There is a no kill rescue but I don't want to put him in it. I would rather find him a home where I can interview the prospective family, do a home visit etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to advertise him? Or where to look for a new home for him? I am totally at a loss. I have never had to rehome an aggressive dog, let alone an aggressive Pit.

Thanks in advance!
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2014 12:47:29 AM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Spyte I know someone else will post whom has more experience, but to me it doesn't sound like the Pitbull is aggressor, it sounds more like he has been isolated , with lack of exercise, then accidentally he was out when several others were suddenly around and another one of your dogs got on him, in excitement? Aggression?? I dont know but lack of socialization wise or out of fear he defended himself.

Then a similar thing happened and maybe he jumped to defend before another dog got him?

With pits be really careful labeling the dog as aggressive, as once labeled it has very bad connotations.

If he is DA And not just DR you might be better not finding a home as if something happens you can be held liable.

Are you sure he is aggressive is what I am trying to ask, or just not socialized and not exercised

Edited for typo of autos name sorry!

-----
Last edited by Purrs_Port on 3/26/2014 12:48:12 AM
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2014 4:07:53 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

He has been socialized heavily, and he is exercised daily.

I wouldn't say he is 'aggressive' I would say he has aggressive tendencies, which in our house could turn into a recipe for disaster.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2014 9:37:49 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by Spyte
I have had a pitbull for almost a year now, however he has to be kenneled most of the time because one of my family members is afraid of him.
I'm confused why did you get a pitbull if a family member is afraid of them? Or was he living with you somewhere else originally? Also did you get him as a puppy or was he a rescue/shelter dog?

Also you say you exercise him daily but how much exercise is that? Pits can easily do 2-3 hours of exercise a day. They also need regular training and mental stimulation (play) not just walks.

It is important because rehoming a dog you know is aggressive is unethical (given the number of non-aggressive dogs put-down everyday in shelters) and can have legal implications.

Unless you have friends who want him it will be hard to find a responsible family for him on your own (responsible people won't be looking in classifieds to find a dog), all shelters & rescues do interviews and many rescues also do home visits.

grif,
 Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2014 2:39:20 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

As griffin mentioned, alot of rescues will not take on a dog with known aggression issues. Our rescue specifically mentions that in the internal intake policy.

Have you tried working with a trainer to help identify the issue? What has changed now that makes it a different dynamic? It does sound like the pittie is isolated a bit from everyone else?

Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2014 2:45:31 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Okay, first thing to realize is that the APBT is a Terrier. They're very high energy and normal exercising isn't enough, these dogs were bred to do things and require a job with physical and mental challenges.

I didn't witness the events, so this is only my opinion, but this doesn't sound like aggression to me. A TRULY dog aggressive APBT requires extremely little reason to go for another dog, sometimes they don't even give cues. The way I interpreted this situation is that you had an abundance of uncontrolled energy. It's very easy for a pack to get out of control very quickly under the right circumstances.

You mention you've had him almost a year, does that mean he's about to be 1 year old? If so, is he neutered?

If he's just hitting a year old, his hormones could be a contributing factor.

APBT will stand their ground, and if he felt threatened by another dog on top of him while there was so much excitement, I'd expect nothing less than for him to "defend" himself.

Grif already mentioned the questions I had, but it doesn't seem like you or your family were truly prepared for an APBT, especially if a family member is afraid of them... Dogs sense these things, and it certainly doesn't make for a harmonious home and pack.

Many things could be triggering this behavior, but all I see is too much excitement... excitement means fights, fights mean adrenaline and that makes for one fun thrill ride for a high energy breed, especially a bored one.

Most situations can be managed, but they'll require individual obedience work as well as group exercises to control all of that unbound energy, or...crate and rotate...If you choose to rehome him, you should know that most shelters won't adopt out DA dogs, especially not an APBT... a Rescue may be a good choice, but finding one with room will be difficult... and if you place him directly in a new home, you need to be responsible and tell them that you've had some scuffles and that he may not be dog friendly.

Rehoming an APBT is hard enough, let alone one that has already shown breed tendencies, but it seems like you've already made up your mind and it's probably what's best for him. I wish I had more resources to offer you, but there aren't many I'm afraid.

Spirit Of The Arctic Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2014 2:46:07 PM reply with quote send message to Spirit Of The Arctic Kennel Object to Post

Sorry, above post was me.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2014 2:46:31 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

He is in the room (living room/dining room) with the rest of the dogs, he is just kenneled because of a few different reasons.

He gets out regularly, gets one on one time with me and other family. Plays daily, does commands daily, get to just be a dog. He is isolated to a point, but at this time, that is the best thing for him and the rest of our pack.

I would say he has aggressive tendencies, I think he would do fine in a home with no young children and no other dogs. He wants to do good, he wants to bond with people and spend time with them. I think he could do very well being someone's pet. I think I am going to close this post only because I don't want the controversy or the extra stress right now.

If anyone would like more details and might be able to help please PM me. Thank you
 Spirit Of The Arctic Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2014 2:58:23 PM reply with quote send message to Spirit Of The Arctic Kennel Object to Post

I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed by everyone's posts, and I'm sorry you have had to go through this as dog fights aren't fun.

It sounds like he's just being an APBT, but if you feel he truly has aggressive tendencies then you need to do what needs to be done... If it cannot be controlled, or if he's not safe around children then the answer is simple, but please don't try and label an APBT puppy as aggressive if he's not, it just makes my breed look bad. I have 9 dogs on my couch right now, Amstaff & APBT alike from 10 years to 10 months old... ONE of them is animal tolerant outside of my pack, but I can still have all of my dogs together.

I wish you the very best, please do the right thing.

Amplitude
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2014 7:30:50 AM reply with quote send message to Amplitude Object to Post

o-o. Well...I have several APBTs of my own and they're all tolerant of other dogs outside of my pack. It's the Beaucerons you have to watch.

APBTs can be socialized quite well to not be animal aggressive, period. I have never had one that I could not take to a friend's house and let it around other dogs. I have never had one that I couldn't bring other animals into my home and it be accepted. However, I am the one doing the training and socialization. I know my dogs, and I trust them. I also know how to read them. When is enough enough? When do they need a break? When are they stressing or uncomfortable? So, it's not at all uncommon for APBTs to coexist harmoniously into a pack with proper training and socialization. Just my two cents.

Emma,
If I lived closer, I could easily help you with this! I don't know where you stand at this point. If you definitely want to rehome him or if you think, with proper instruction, you would put forth the time to help him overcome. I am a bit worried in your advertising him as "no small children, no other dogs". The media will feed off those sorts of things and then of course, it's all nero connected to the public's mind. I have a friend in Florida who could very possibly help you if you're willing. She wouldn't charge a thing. She's savvy with bully breeds, as I am. OR...make a trip to Georgia and bring the guy with you. I could lay down some basic "how tos" to give you an idea. I think I missed it, how old is the APBT? I know you texted me about him a few days back.

I do run a small, non profit rescue here for Bully breeds, but until I could evaluate, I can't promise we have a spot. I've worked with human and dog aggressive APBTs alike and although they are not all "YAY MY NEW DOG IS COMING HOME!" success stories, those we could not rehabilitate enough that we felt safe adopting out, stay with us. I'd very much rather that then putting him on craigslist, as I saw someone mention on facebook. Craigslist is a horrible place and I will NEVER advertise a dog on there. I've witnessed way too many bad things.

Let me know, maybe we can work something out.

Four
 Amplitude
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2014 7:37:43 AM reply with quote send message to Amplitude Object to Post

This doesn't sound like aggressive tendancies to me either. Sounds to me like you've got too much excitment going on in your house. The only time you have an issue is when everyone gets excited. There is no order there. The APBT was attacked first, therefore now...at his (assuming) young age, excitement = attack as that's how it happened to him. So, it's get or be got right now. He is definitely being defensive at this point. Same thing happened to one of mine and he had a mindset like that, but once I got my house under control and calmed down the overexcitement, things were fine again. happy :) Again, just ext me!

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.