Search

.com Forum · Non-Sporting Breeds

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Please Help! One testicle has not dropper @ 1 y.o.
 Cindy Kent
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/26/2014 8:00:35 PM reply with quote send message to Cindy Kent Object to Post   

Hi everyone! Cindy here.

I have a 1 year old American Eskimo, and am planning to show him. He has placed in several shows as a puppy, and has great potential.

Unfortunately, one of his testicles hasn't dropped, and I fear he may be monorchid.

What are the chances of correcting this issue without neutering him, or is neuter the only way to go?

Thanks everyone!

Cindy
 Lokei
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2014 12:54:01 AM reply with quote send message to Lokei Object to Post

Did you buy him with only one testicle descended?

Quileute Legends
Basic User

Basic User
3/28/2014 4:35:48 AM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post

At 1 year of age the chance of his remaining testicle descending on it's own is extremely rare.

Testes really need to be fully descended before 5 months - otherwise they generally don't descend.

It sounds as though your cryptorchid boy really needs to get castrated sooner rather than later. Retained testicles often do not develop properly and can lead to cancer much later in life if not removed.

As a vet nurse I have seen many retained cryptorchid (both unilateral and bilateral) castrates on dogs (and even one surgery on a CAT - very rare) and the retained teste is always really weird looking - it will often be the wrong shape - or be really small or really large, or have odd shaped spermatochords and other odd looking structures. When you see it in person - it's no wonder why they later cause cancers.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
3/28/2014 9:59:46 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I don't ever recall hearing of many stories of both of them dropping after a certain amount of time. more than likely it won't happen which means you can't show him which really sucks that she's good quality. I'm sorry ):
 Elixir Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/28/2014 1:59:20 PM reply with quote send message to Elixir Kennels Object to Post

i think 7 or 8 months is the latest i've ever heard of a testicle dropping, and even at that it was one that dropped, then rescinded, then dropped again.

The silver lining, if there is any, is that the breeder will likely replace him as a show puppy - if that's included in your contract.
There will be many judges that wont notice a missing testicle, but it only takes one time or one person to notice and then everyone will know.

Besides, there's really no point in finishing him since he wont be used for breeding.

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.