Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : My very first show coming up suggestions
 bonus41
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/17/2014 9:58:26 AM reply with quote send message to bonus41 Object to Post   

So I've been mock handling and training show dogs for about a year, And last month she offered me a deal on the best puppy in the litter! I was thrilled and excited! I got my very first show dog...

Any way I'm going in my VERY first show in July now I'm getting a bit nervous, I have been working for this for a year and now its actually going to happen with my own dog!!! She is 6 months so she will be going in senior puppy I guess, I know judes dont expect much from puppies but still its scarry!

I've been working on these with her:
Heel on lead is 100%
About turns 50%
Sit 90%
down 70%
Down and back 40%
I know my L and Trigangle by heart just incase the judge asks that

She will hold a stack for maybe 10 seconds

IS there anything else I should work on with her?

PS: She's a Labrador Retriever
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/17/2014 10:30:06 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

I don't show dogs (not yet, I'm sort of learning), but good luck! I love labs wink ;)

Alexandria
 Black Rhapsody
Basic User

Basic User
4/17/2014 5:11:00 PM reply with quote send message to Black Rhapsody Object to Post

One thing to add might be having strangers go over her (pretending to be the judge for the exam) and having her bite shown. I have a puppy that's going to be hitting her first real show in a month and I definitely need to work on those two things! She doesn't like to sit still at all. happy :)

It's also important to make sure they're having fun in the ring as puppies. You want the show ring to be a happy place for them!

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.