Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Need Help With Ideas
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/6/2014 7:15:02 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Okay so right now I'm trying to consider the next breed I want to get for my full showing and not just Junior Showmanship and also breeds that I want to consider it to show and or breed for the rest of my life. ( keep in mind my next door won't be for another 2 to 3 years and I plan to go into dog grooming and/or boarding as a career, I hope to be able to handle myself and maybe for other people )

It's coming down to three breeds. all three breeds are very similar but at the same time have different attributes that I enjoy and dislike in them. I'm talking about hours of researching all 3 breeds I have multiple specialty books on 2 of the breeds... I know that a lot of people don't appreciate people who have more than one breed since out would be seen as a person not dedicated.

I see some kennels who have 2 - 3 main breeds that have shown many dogs successfully. Mostly I think about afterglow they have ACS's, Toy Poodles, Standard Poodles as their main breeds and some Pekingese and other various dogs on the side. In regards to those breeds, all of their dogs have won multiple BIS, GRP, and BOB placements at Crufts, Westminster, National Specialities and other large shows....so is it possible that I can do that?

That is, own more than one breed actively?

Ive talked to multiple people about all 3 breeds, met people at shows, talked to handlers, groomers, ect. Making it harder to narrow it down.

What I'm thinking now is to have One MAIN breed, with another breed close to it, so basically 2 main breeds, and then have a couple of the 3rd breed. Since 2 of the breeds are high in grooming.

-----
Last edited by Beach Dunes on 5/6/2014 7:44:42 AM
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2014 8:05:24 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Ideally, my perfect dog would be one that is;

Playful - Im talking Fetch, Frisbee .5 - 1.5 hours
Friendly with people / children
Super affectionate, I prefer dogs IN my face
Grooming is...iffy. I love it but at the same time it would be nice to have a very low keepup coat
Medium to large, 20-40 pounds preferably
Training - Easy to semi-challenging

Right now the 3 breeds are - ACS (Not sure which variety yet, I know partis tend to me more playful and solids tend to be more laid back). Standard Poodles, and Whippets.... I know I know, classic breeds, stereotypical...

ACS's

Pros: Very Afecctionate, PERFECT size, Tests my grooming skills, Playful, easy to train, wonderful color options, energdtic but not demanding
Cons: If owning many grooming may be too much, many health issues ( Can be avoided but still ),

Spood's

Pros: I prefer bigger dogs, nice size, coat color options, MANY grooming options, can get creative in styling, very playful, well in active sports, friendly, super easy to train, energetic but not demanding
Cons: Again if too many grooming would be super hard (My main concern), not super affectionate

Whippets:

Pros: Perfect size, many colors, active but quiet in the house, easy grooming (Also a con), healthy, affectionate, friendly, VERY agile and versatile
Cons: Can be shy, Prefer to stay away from the hound group

So I would say the main pro and con for each breed would be:

Cocker:
Pro- Size/Affection
Con-Excessive grooming if owning multiple show dogs

Spoo's:
Pro- Wondedrful grooming opps
Con- Too much grooming to own multiple show dogs

Whippets:
Pro- Versatile in competition/ affectionate
Con- REALLY want to stay out of the hound group

I feel that if I had poodles at all, I would only want 2 or 3, just to try different cuts, I would probably never breed them.

Whippets I feel would be the best as retirement dogs because grooming will eventually give back and pain issues, so low grooming is a plus. Personally I think the Whippets would be my best choice for a main breed, but I don't want to let go of the grooming of my choice on a personal dog.....

Gosh im sorry for rambling.
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2014 9:44:39 AM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

Have your considred English Cocker Spaniel? Their grooming is not that excessive like their littermates ACS.Plus I heard the competition in that breed is very hard and a lot of health problems in lines. ECS are my dream breed and I plan on getting one when I graduate from high school and get into showing and from there start the art of breeding. ECS are very affectionate, friendly, easy to train, can have energy but they is willing to sit with you because THEY want to be with you. Medium size (ACS is a little to small for me), grooming is fairly easy compared to ACS (but my old pup was a pet not show) and overall they are just beaituful! One con I will say (this applies to ACS and ECS, as they have been cases with both) is seperation anxiety. This is a con for me that has set me back because of fear. But I'm willing to overcome it with training and if my job (for example) is a lot of hours, have someone come in to check in on them.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE ECS. You should check them out?

Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2014 2:18:46 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

Have you thought about Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers? they're basically everything you've described.

Have coat, yet minimal grooming (they are to be shown natural), mid size - about 40 pounds, VERY affectionate and outgoing, love outdoor activities - running, swimming, fetch, etc. but also make great indoor pets. I've shown a handful and could put you in touch with and AWESOME breeder.
I'm also a bit biased towards German Wirehaired Pointers, but they would also fit what you're looking for. it's like living with a clown! haha

I love Whippets, would love to have one some day, but I do think it is a competitive breed to get in to, much as with Standard Poodles. I'm sure you'll be able to make the decision when the time comes, you'll find a breed that just "feels" right.

As far as having multiple breeds - it's totally acceptable in my book. You may not be able to have as many litters in each breed (since you'll have 2 breeds) but many people do it. and in my opinion, it's more about quality and not quantity of litters anyways.

I would just make sure your two breeds are compatible, I know some people have totally incompatible breeds - but personally, dog fights are something I try to avoid.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2014 3:54:56 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Thanks guys! In response to Shawdowstorm Kennels:

Yes I have looked at them! I actually dislike their grooming, only because its more just work on scissoring, not much coat. Also, it sounds crazy but I love competition in the ring, makes winning mean something a little more major. I have thought about them though, I just can't seem to connect to them, I've met a couple, talked to some breeders who have ACSs and ECSs. I've heard that separation anxiety is a huge problem, that's something I hope to work on and avoid, I enjoy challenges. I'll defiantly look at them again!

In response to Astoria:

I actually did look at them for a while. My main concern is that they can be demanding for exercise at some points. As far as I know, they are playful and energetic but a little too energetic for me. That's a reason I like the 3 breeds I stated, they are all playful but not demanding in exercise needs. I also have noticed they aren't very competitive. I've met some nice GSPs not any GWPs, again, very active but maybe a little too active? Grooming is also in that in between point that I want to avoid. They have nice size though. I do like that.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2014 6:15:47 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

GSPs and GWPs are definitely very energetic. More so than the tollers for sure.
I would say that if you're interested in showing, standard poodles are probably going to be the hardest breed to break in to. There's nothing wrong with having a few for other things though if that's a breed you want! I just know the ring can be quite cut throat. I'm not too sure about the cocker ring, but I do enjoy handling whippets, why did you mention you want to stay away from the hound group?
I think if your interested in having multiple breeds- maybe one coated and one not coated would be easiest for grooming down the line.
Maybe see if you can spend some time with a breeder away from shows to get a feel for different breeds personalities.
Personally, I think at some point you'll meet a breed that you 'click' with, and that's the breed meant for you.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2014 6:47:49 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

They're not quite what you asked for, but my personal favorite breed is the Cavalier KCS (I really want to own one someday!).

Generally, they are very adaptable as far as energy level goes. Although a fetch drive isn't something the breed is known for,

They're some of the friendliest and most affectionate dogs you'll ever meet (socialized properly, of course).

Grooming: While they aren't as time consuming to groom as, say, a poodle, they do require regular grooming.

They are small dogs, so they're below your ideal size range.

Cavaliers are people pleasers and are generally easy to train.

There are a lot of health issues in the breed, but genetic screening, as far as I know, makes it much easier for good breeders to avoid these issues. They're also prone to separation anxiety, but this is largely due to their extremely affectionate nature.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
 Ambrosia_Cocker
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2014 8:35:38 PM reply with quote send message to Ambrosia_Cocker Object to Post

Well since one of your choices is ACS let me say that they are great dogs.. There is a lot of maintenance grooming but if you keep that up the actual show grooming is fairly easy. I have 3 dogs in full coat and as long as I bathe them weekly and do trims every two - three weeks my show week is not stressful. As the varieties go partis tend to be more energetic but I have browns and I have had some that were too active for me..
I've had the breed for over 15 years, and I've only had two that had a touch of separation anxiety. They are what I call Velcro dogs which means if u go anywhere they are right there with you, I have one that is so close he actually runs into my legs at times.
Health problems are not as bad as they used to be you just have to be extra careful in choosing a great foundation. With the DNA test for PRA and the ASC now funding the cataract research program I am very optimistic that we will find the marker for cataracts very soon..
I'm not sure where you live but your welcome to message me and Ill be more than willing to help you with any questions you have.
Amber

Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2014 11:12:14 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by Beach Dunes
Thanks guys! In response to Shawdowstorm Kennels:

Yes I have looked at them! I actually dislike their grooming, only because its more just work on scissoring, not much coat. Also, it sounds crazy but I love competition in the ring, makes winning mean something a little more major. I have thought about them though, I just can't seem to connect to them, I've met a couple, talked to some breeders who have ACSs and ECSs. I've heard that separation anxiety is a huge problem, that's something I hope to work on and avoid, I enjoy challenges. I'll defiantly look at them again!

It's completely fine! My favorite movie was Lady and the Tramp and for years (as a child) I went looking for a breed that looked like Lady, when I found out, Lady was based on a ACS. I was sorta disappointed. I wasn't really connecting either, until I flipped a page over and I saw ECS. Head over heels! So I understand. I like competion too, but I guess I'm more humble about it. I definitely want to avoid seperation anxiety at all cost. Is it hereditary? I haven't done much research on that. But I like the challange of over coming it, I think another challenge (for my own breeding program) is to breed more of a crocker, some dogs I see in the ring, just look so setter-y, long and leaner, and it's not exactly the style I want. Of course I'll be breeding with the standard, but I dislike it when a trend hits over.

And the scissoring is true, there is a lot of it. But more of trying to make it look natural and easier for the hunt. We don't do excessive styling on the coat, but I understand the pleasure out of it. Like my mother says, it's in the eye of the beholder!

Good luck choosing your breed!
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2014 11:13:45 PM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

That's me, I timed out
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/6/2014 11:57:42 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

We got our first American Cocker in 1973 – 40+ years. My current guy just had his 15th birthday and we had one fellow who got to be just a few weeks short of 18, so they can be long lived. Tyler, present guy is number 5. Prior to 1973 we had a number of assorted mixes.

I don’t know about this separation anxiety – never heard of it or experienced it in the breed but we’ve always had solid colours – red, black, black and tan.

Grooming, yes it can be a chore but if you thoroughly brush out each dog once a week it takes about half an hour to an hour. If you do it every day maybe 15 minutes. If you are actively showing you probably want to do it a little more intensively. Although there is certainly significant skill to show grooming, I don’t believe it is quite as complex as a Poodle.

As for affection – I’ve had some real cuddlebugs, others more independent, it varies a lot but they are quite universally very loyal, devoted and playful. At 15 Tyler still goes rattling through any bags, boxes, or buckets left around – he gets bored but once they get past the terrible two’s (yes, they grow up mentally at about 2 years) we have never had an issue with misbehaving when left at home unconfined. They are smart though some are perhaps a bit stubborn, and they’ll do just about anything for a cookie, or two.

Yes, they have some health issues as most breeds do. Although we have had loss of eyesight, never in a really young dog. Tyler is deaf (sometimes it seems to be selective) but his eyes are still good. If I were to pick a health problem with the most impact, it would be skin issues in later years. Every one of our 5 cockers has had problems with sebaceous cysts.

While I was showing I was good friends with a couple whose primary breed was the English Cocker – I almost got one as my 2nd cocker but got Radar (1976) instead. The EC definitely has a grooming advantage. I didn’t see a big difference in character – the EC were perhaps a bit more “sophisticated”, the AC a bit more “goofball”, but of course I never actually lived with an EC.
 KPOPK
Basic User

Basic User
5/7/2014 3:12:27 PM reply with quote send message to KPOPK Object to Post

In response to linlin:

Cavaliers made it to my final 5! My final 5 included English Springer Spaniels, Cavaliers, American Cockers, Poodles and Whippers.

In response to Ambrosia:

That's awesome! How often do you show? I will defiantly keep in contact with you!

In response to gaylan:

Thanks for the information! As far as English Cockers I feel that they are very close to English Springers and if I had to chose one I would defiantly go for the springers.

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing