Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Talking to real breeders?
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/14/2014 12:17:15 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

Ok so Im hopefully get my first all breed ring show bitch next year and Im trying to contact people now so I can get to know them and ma g be meet up with them, research their lines, reserve a certian color or dog in a litter, try to look at averything basically. I want to do this because I did very little with Coals breeder. I really want to know my first dogs breeder for help unlike Coals breeder provides...

Anyways, Ive contacted 6 kennels, by emai, giving background and explaining my goals and experience ect. 3 Whippet kennels and 3 English Springer Spaniel kennels. Ive recieved a response from 4.

3 of which Jk have called before, they all say to just contact them when Im actually ready for the puppy, as in sometimes next year.

1 I contacted a month ago and she has not replied, ive emailed her and asked if she got my email...

Am I crazy for the idea of asking to get to know breeders this early? I really want to choose between atleast 1 2 or 3 now or within the next few months. It would be easier I think. The only reason I think they would say this is because all of the kennels had a top 3 dog of their breed including a top 10 dog over all and I think a top 5 hound? Ugh ):

Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2014 5:00:00 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

You might try haunting any shows you can get to.

Hang around the rings where your favourite breeds are being shown - it will help you learn to recognise what seems to win and to study handling techniques.

After the breeds and before the groups, there is often a slow period which is a good time to approach the owners, breeders, handlers.

With grooming, showing, and just looking after several dogs plus very likely a regular job, breeders can often be pressed for time - an extensive correspondance can be difficult for them. If you are contacting top kennels, even more so. They likely get tons of similar requests.

Just a thought - you might email these folks and ask if they are going to be at any shows in your area or that you might reasonably be able to get to. Ask if you might visit their kennel and meet the dogs. Not all will be accommodating, but some might.

Join a local club and offer to help out at the shows and/or classes. Hanging out at clubs is great for establishing your credibility and getting a feel for those who might be good mentors. These mentors can lead to introductions to the breeds/breeders that you are interested in.

Zahir
Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2014 9:54:27 PM reply with quote send message to Zahir Object to Post

I agree with the above suggestions. It can be hard to get started. And while the breeders might seem "rude" for not being more accommodating, I know many times they receive emails similar to yours, they invest time in a person, and the person just changes their mind or disappears, and the breeder sees that as wasted time. By going to shows, etc, it will show you are serious about this, and they might take a chance on you happy :) When I got my first real mentor, I already had my dog, and was starting to show her, but her breeder lived in another state and was also somewhat new to showing. Then I read an interview in my breed magazine, and I found out that there was a very successful, well-known breeder near me. I started seeing her at shows, and watched her handle, even watched her handling other breeds. I asked her to go over my dog with me, so I could learn. Because she'd seen me "stalking" her (for lack of a better word lol!), she knew I was serious about wanting to learn, and from then on, a great relationship was formed happy :) So, be persistent. Say you don't want to be a pest but really want to learn. Ask if you can watch them groom at shows, offer to help, etc.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/15/2014 12:26:36 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

It's probably too early to be talking about the specifics of your puppy- but some breeders have very few litters so it's definitely not too early to get on a litter list, especially if you're looking for a puppy out of a certain dog or breeding.
I would definitely suggest meeting them in person and letting them know you're looking for a show quality dog, hopefully, once they understand you are serious about showing and finishing it you will get a higher pick.
Understand you may not get first, second, or even third pick even if you contact them now. Are you prepared to put a deposit down on a puppy?
A lot of breeders, especially top winning ones, with hold the first two or three pick puppies for themselves, very rarely letting go of them especially if there are co-breeders. But if it's a top kennel, chances are third pick and below are still very nice puppies!!
Good luck in your search! Keep us updated.
 OmegaDanya
Basic User

Basic User
6/15/2014 9:39:52 AM reply with quote send message to OmegaDanya Object to Post

Also, if you contacted by email, sometimes emails get eaten. I know yahoo is terrible about that.
 OceaniaFoxhounds
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2014 8:32:20 AM reply with quote send message to OceaniaFoxhounds Object to Post

With my breed, Hamiltonstovare, I actually prefer people to contact me well in advance. It has taken me 5 years to finally have a litter on the ground for people to pick from. As soon as I announced the breeding, the 3 available puppies were reserved within a day and I have 4-5 waiting just in case somebody drops out.

I have found that Facebook also works wonders. I used to show Beagles and I am still in contact with several Beagle people from back in the late 90's.

Also, from my experience getting a female is a lot harder to get than a male. I only let my show females go to homes that I know are experienced show people. Sometimes, if you contact the national parent club directly, they can direct you to who has exactly what you are looking for. For example, I am always on the look-out for a nice 15-inch tricolor male Beagle with certain dogs in the pedigree, and certain dogs not in the pedigree. I know which breeders are producing that and I am still building a relationship with them in hopes that this dream puppy comes along.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.