Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 25
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : What breeds are you into? ( IRL )
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/17/2014 5:06:09 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

Hey guys! There may already be a thaf like this, shop sorry if I'm making a repeat. Anyways, I thought we could all share the breeds in which we have, show, or closely know, in our real world! If someone posts a breed and someone else is interested in that breed, then the interested person can ask questions on the breed!

Example;
So, I have a Standard Poodle
I know a lot of information on Boston Terriers, Bichon Frises and Yokies

I would like to know more information on any breed in any topic! Espically Sporting, Non-Sporting and Working breeds! (:

Hope this all made sense!

- Hayley
 GraceInGlory
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/17/2014 9:51:59 AM reply with quote send message to GraceInGlory Object to Post

I have and show Cairn Terriers.
Labrador Retrievers have also been in my family a long time.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 10:41:49 AM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Well, I have a long list...lol.

I was raised with Malamutes, as my parents bred and showed them. My Mom currently owns a Standard Poodle, so I've spent alot of time with him in the last 3 years.
Two of my uncles bred English Springers when I was a child so I spent a good deal of time around them as well.
I owned and bred shelties (only bred 2 litters) mostly showed them.
I also owned but did not breed a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, a GSD (which I co-bred a litter with her breeder but only on paper) and an aussie who I showed (his breedings were handled by his breeder).
I was also a professional handler for many years, there aren't alot of breed I didn't show at one point or another, but I focused mainly on Herding, sporting and working breeds. There aren't many breeds in those groups that I didn't show and many I spent a great deal of time with and they lived with me while being shown as well.
I think the groups I spent the least amount of time with would be toys and terriers. I showed a few here and there but never really lived with or spent a great deal of time with them.
We've owned 3 boxers, currently have 2. It's a breed I can't imagine not owning. I've shown many boxers but don't currently show my 2. Our girl is a rescue and I do some performance sports with my boy.

-----
Last edited by Summerwind Kennels on 6/17/2014 5:55:35 PM
 Leotyde Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/17/2014 10:54:17 AM reply with quote send message to Leotyde Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

We recently added a Rhodesian Ridgeback to our clan. He'll be two in November, time flies.
I don't show. I'm just a long time spectator but who knows, maybe one day happy :)

eta photos

-----
Last edited by Leotyde Kennels on 6/17/2014 3:06:42 PM

-----
Last edited by Leotyde Kennels on 6/17/2014 3:08:03 PM
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 12:24:27 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I have the most experience in German Wirehaired Pointers and Dacshunds, as that's what I've owned and I have worked for breeders in each.
I also work for a professional handler and have had a bit of experience in a few hound breeds and almost all the sporting breeds- mainly GSPs, brittanys, tollers, and weims.
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 12:26:43 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

I do not show or breed, and I don't think I ever will but I do hope to get more evolved in that world just so I can learn more about it and see if its something that would interest me more.

Any ways as some of you know I have 5 dogs, all different breeds.

Meeko is a male 6 y/o American Pit Bull Terrier.

(This is the breed I have had the most experience with through out my life and this is my 3rd one owning, I have took in a lot more though and helped find them homes)

Mercy is a male 1.5 y/o Hairless Chinese Crested.

When I found this little guy available I did a decent amount of research on the breed but mostly went into it a bit blind, since then I have become a frequent member of forums, FB pages and talked to many rescues in the breed to learn a lot more about them.

Merlot is a male 2.5 y/o English Springer Spaniel (Field Bred)

He came from a bad home but know one would know that now if they met him. I have done research on this breed and have joined my share of groups/forums, but I have found that in general his personality doesn't mesh with most other springers, at least form what I have heard.

Temperance aka Temp is a female 4 y/o Vizsla

This was a last minute rescue and fairly recent so still getting to know a lot more about the breed. But form my experience and forum time I have found this breed to be great for someone who wants to be super active when out and about and a couch potato at home, because that's exactly what she is and a lot of other Vizslas have this trait.

Seeley is a male 2 y/o Weimaraner

A friend/acquaintance begged me to take this boy in once he found out he had to re-locate for his job and would no longer be able to take him to work with him and was worried he wouldn't do well alone all day. I was very skeptical at first because this breed is known to be fairly dominant, high strung and very intence...Seeley is all of these things but not to the extreme and has fit very easily into my pack.

If any one has any questions about these breeds I could do my best to help!
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 2:10:20 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

I have 3 Border Collies, a Pomeranian, and a chihuahua.

Cash is my 6 year old working bred Border Collie, we train in agility and will be beginning in weight pull once his harness arrives.

Credit is my 6 year old show bred blue boy. He has some behaviour issues so we don't do much but backyard agility.

Hatter is my 18 week old working/show lined Border Collie. Big plans for such a little man. We start handling classes soon.

Poppet is my 5 year old Pomeranian.

Beaker is my 4 year old Chihuahua

Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 3:17:58 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I have most of my experience with Irish Wolfhounds, I have grown up around them. I handle them regularly, we breed them and of course raise them. We also have experience with Shiba Inus as I have grown up around them too.

I have a bit of knowledge in a few other breeds including Briards, which I have handled before, Aussies to a point, Corgis.

I have most of my knowledge in the hound and working groups as of right now with a bit in the herding group. I am looking to broaden my knowledge into other groups as I want to handle professionally and don't want to be limited on what I can handle because I am limited on my knowledge of my breeds.

I am currently doing a ton and a half of research on Black Russian Terriers which are one of the breeds I have fallen in love with!
 Windsong Hills
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 5:51:45 PM reply with quote send message to Windsong Hills Object to Post

I've have experience with a lot of mix breeds, and have been working towards getting a dog for performance events and, eventually, the show ring. I am between three breeds (because I can't stop myself): afghan hounds, english cocker spaniels, and akitas.

We currently have an akita mix who is very akita-ish in personality, so I do have some first-hand experience of living with them. However, the rest I am doing research on.
 Leidenschaftlich
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 6:21:59 PM reply with quote send message to Leidenschaftlich Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

I have studied the Cane Corso breed for 9 years, studying history, breed standard, variation of types and temperaments. It is truly a fascinating breed. The Cane da Presa was the general term for both Cane Corso and Mastino Napoletano (Neapolitan Mastiff). Before the Neo was kennel club recognized, it appeared as a heavier, thicker version of the Corso. The Cane da Presa Meridionale is the modern-day reconstruction of the old Mastino Napoletano.

You can take a Google search of "Cane da Presa Meridionale" for the current modern-day working Neo or "Cane da Presa" which was the general name for Neo and Corso ( same "family", different "breed" ). Then "Mastino Napoletano history" and there are some really cool pics. The correct Cane Corso today is basically the smaller version of the working Neo prior to the kennel club.

The Corso was initially never a "breed" in Italy before it was recognized as one. So it varied a lot in type, i.e., some heavier, some lighter, some rougher coat, some piebald, some tan markings. While tan markings and piebald are DQ, they still pop up as recessive throwbacks. Many lines had also been crossed with Bullmastiff, Boxer, even Lab or Rottweiler, so it is imperative to understand the standard and know the correct type, if you want to get as close to original Corso as possible. You will see Corsi that look like the aforementioned breeds, but the correct, true Corso is very unique and doesn't look like a Boxer or Bullmastiff.

The above is the dog who inspired the FCI breed standard.

The above is very close to the correct, original Corso head style.

Hope you enjoyed reading. happy :)

-----
Last edited by Leidenschaftlich on 6/17/2014 6:27:09 PM because I keep misspelling ertang!!

-----
Last edited by Leidenschaftlich on 6/17/2014 6:28:25 PM

-----
Last edited by Leidenschaftlich on 6/17/2014 6:29:07 PM

Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 8:01:33 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Fun topic!

I have a Dogo Argentino (3 years old) and an American Staffordshire Terrier (1 years old). LOVE my girls.

Dogos are such an intense, loyal, devoted breed. My AST is a little spitfire! But super spunky and sweet.

Lokei
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 8:02:24 PM reply with quote send message to Lokei Object to Post

^^^^ that was me!
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 10:35:18 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

I have German Shepherds (show/breed), I have been involved with the breed for over 25 years. Currently I am owned by three of them. The first two are a brother/sister from my litter last year (13 months old today). The third is a half sister who is 2 1/2 years of age.

BOF Chilco's The Fuzz of Sunflower

RFF Chilco's Ladybug of Sunflower

GCh.Sunflower's PrettyInPink Frost

I also co-own Ch.Hausmekon's Flag of Honor and Sunflower's Express Mail Chilco.

I grew up with Siberian Huskies, my grandmother bred/raced/showed them for over 30 years. And I have experience with Karelien Bear Dogs, my grandmother helped get them recognized in Canada, and had the first Can.Champion.

krisk
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2014 11:23:27 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

Basset Hounds ... breed, Conformation, Jr. Handling and Obedience

Cairn Terriers ... breed, Conformation, Obedience, Rally, Therapy dog and Earthdog

Dandie Dinmonts ... breed, Conformation, Rally, Agility, Therapy dog and hope to try Barn Hunt

-----
Last edited by Tizzy Too on 6/17/2014 11:24:52 PM
 Cloudpointe Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/18/2014 5:08:38 PM reply with quote send message to Cloudpointe Kennels Object to Post

I've been involved with a lot of breeds over the years but I have a few main ones...

Norwegian Buhunds- My absolute heart breed. I started in them while they were in miscellaneous and now have the first AKC Best in Show winner. I know the breed more than any other and will continue in this breed for the rest of my dog show/breeding career.

Great Danes- I love this breed and co-own many with a my breeder friend. We have harlequins and mantles. I know this breed fairly well too and may have a few more as time goes on. I plan to keep a pup out of my litter coming up later this year with my GCH harl bitch.

German Shepherd Dogs- This is the breed that got me into showing dogs. I saw James "Jimmy" Moses handling CH Kismet's Sight For Sore Eyes "Dallas" on TV at the Eukanuba national championship. At that point I knew I would handle dogs in the future.
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2014 7:59:48 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

My main and heart breed is the Shiba Inu. I've been in them for 15 years, and have known since I got the first that this would be my breed for life. Seen them go through a lot of changes -- temperament improvements, breed type improvements, and oh yes, weathered the Puppy Cam and Doge fame. I've met a ton of friends and fanciers in the breed, been blessed with great mentors, and have enjoyed participating in conformation, tracking, and agility with my dogs. We also enjoy trick training!

I fell into my second breed on accident when the friend of a friend discovered he was handler-less and I just happened to be showing my Shiba bitch at a local UKC show for fun. The friend asked if I'd be up to learn how to show American Pit Bull Terriers. I said sure, why not, and ended up working with the breed for three years. I'd never had anything against APBTs before, I just didn't think about them much at all. I liked exotic breeds. I liked northern breeds. But I enjoyed handling, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to learn a different breed. Surprise, surprise, I discovered pits were ridiculously fun, and fell in love. Ended up putting multiple BISs and RBISs on my favorite dog, as well as tons of group wins, and campaigned him to #11 in the nation one year, with severely limited showing. It was a blast.

In the future, however, I'll probably get an Am. Staff to show, since my Shibas are my focus, and I prefer competing in AKC events.
 Mistys
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/18/2014 8:26:46 PM reply with quote send message to Mistys Object to Post

Tollers and working border collies, and mutts lol. I have an Aussie as well but I'm not an Aussie person(i made an exception for her lol) and I haven't even had her a year.
 Slipping Shadows
Basic User

Basic User
6/19/2014 7:15:02 PM reply with quote send message to Slipping Shadows Object to Post

I have three Papillons (show), two miniature American shepherds (show), and a rat terrier (pet).

Grew up with Aussies, BCs, and Corgis. Also had a lovely Tervuren girl for a bit before we discovered a congenital liver problem and lost her early. I loved my Aussies, but with my paps around I wanted to stay a bit smaller, and I prefer something closer to working line temperament. Alas, I have two MAS. We're currently expecting a papillon litter... any time now... so I'll post some baby pictures when they arrive!
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/19/2014 8:17:11 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Have never showed, but have owned the following breeds...

Harrier
Bluetick Coonhound
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Lab
JRT
Border Collie

And have spent a lot of time around a Beagle and a Golden mix.

My dream breed is Dachshunds. I've researched a lot about them in the past few years, and talked to a lot of people who own/breed/show them. I was hoping to get one before the year was over, but I don't know if that will happen.

Alexandria
 Shining Sun Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2014 12:38:04 PM reply with quote send message to Shining Sun Kennels Object to Post

We've owned/raised Cavalier King Charles Spaniels for 15+ years, and I've owned/been around multiple Yorkshire Terriers, Shih Tzus, Boxers, Australian Shepherds, Toy & Standard Poodles, French Bulldogs, English Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, Toy Fox Terriers, Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs, American Cocker Spaniels, and Dogue de Bordeauxs. I've also been around an Ibizan Hound, 2 Brussels Griffons, a few Doberman Pinschers, and an Irish Setter.

ETA:Spelling...

-----
Last edited by Shining Sun Kennels on 6/20/2014 12:39:27 PM
 Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2014 9:52:26 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

We own 2 labs and a shih tzu. I grew up with Saint Bernards, hubby always had labs. Our younger lab (Archie) and the Tzu (Sammy) train in agility. It's been a great confidence builder for the litte guy. The older lab (Scooby) tried agilty, wasn't a fan, so we will be trying nosework next. We are also heavily involved in lab rescue and usually have a foster or two hanging around.

-----
Last edited by Templar Knights on 6/20/2014 9:53:39 PM

Replies in this thread : 25
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.