.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 28
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Shiba Brag
 ShoStopper
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/18/2014 1:57:41 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post   

Maybe a few of you know/remember Ringo, the newest member of my show family.

Ringo is co-owned by my sister, my brother-in-law, and I. He's a Shiba Inu, a little over a year old, and the son of a multiple BISS winner.

We were so pleased when he took his first major, a weekend or so after he also took his first BOB.

He's completely out of coat, but we're still pretty pleased with how the photo came out. He's been owner-handled by my sister to all of his points so far, and that's how we intend to keep it. It's been very gratifying to see the judges recognize him.

Thanks for letting me brag a little!

Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2014 4:56:13 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

That's great! My Poodles breeder is in Shibas as well. How many shows have you been to with him?
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2014 6:12:03 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Big congratulations!

krisk
 Windsong Hills
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2014 6:17:34 PM reply with quote send message to Windsong Hills Object to Post

He looks lovely! Congratulations. laugh :D
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2014 7:26:55 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

Lovely!! And a Red Sesame! haven't seen many of them lately. We took my veteran Shiba to the show last weekend and she was the only red sesame entered all weekend
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2014 8:14:51 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm pleased as punch with him, and especially excited to see how he matures. We're hoping he'll be a dog we want to special.

All told, he's been in six shows so far; we're a busy little group of owners, so we don't get to as many shows as we'd like with him. We're hoping to get to more this summer.

Haha, I will say I don't consider him red sesame, but rather, sashige (red dog with scattered black tips over back and tail - red dog with "black inserts"wink ;). To be a true sesame, I would need to see the black hair evenly distributed throughout the coat, down the legs and coming up onto his head. The true sesame is hard to come by even in Japan; I think I've only seen two or three in person in the fifteen years I've kept the breed! Spyte, I'm not surprised your girl was the only one that weekend! It must have been a bit of a kick though - they do seem to get a lot of attention when they show up. A while back there was one that took an AOM at the Garden; lots of people were hanging around asking questions.

I would LOVE to have one though; fingers crossed that someday I do. That said, Ringo's sashige doesn't bother me. A lot of folks figured out that trying to eliminate any sashige in their programs resulted in yellow/soft coats down the road; definitely not what we want!

(If anyone is curious about the kind of sesame I'm talking about, the NSCA has a picture of a sesame dog on its Judge Study Guide. Hubba hubba, lol.
www.shibas.org/newstand/judge.html

It is really nice to see other Shiba fanciers on this thread! Maybe we'll meet up at a show someday!

-----
Last edited by ShoStopper on 6/18/2014 8:21:04 PM
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
6/19/2014 8:52:15 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

Would love to meet up at show sometime! My veteran girl doesn't go with often, she loves to go but it wears her out so we limit her going. But would love to meet your boy either way!
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
6/21/2014 1:44:15 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

I'm pretty sure our upcoming national is in Florida. I'm not sure if we'll make out there, especially since it's so far and our boy is so young, but I imagine you guys will be going? I'll let you know if we go!
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
6/21/2014 2:03:15 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

It is down here this year in December right before Eukanuba. We might go just as spectators. It will be a busy week because I will hopefully have 1-2 dogs in Eukanuba so my week will be revolved around getting them groomed and ready for the ring.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2014 4:20:45 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Congrats.
Can I ask how tall he is?
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2014 7:42:05 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

You may ask.

He is 16", near the top of our standard. He also photographs as large because my sister and I are "fun size."

He is comfortably within standard.
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2014 9:36:49 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

Thought I would also add some fun photos from a little shoot that was done for Christmas last year, courtesy of our wonderful friends at Shibaguyz photography.
This is Ringo and sis, having a lot of fun together. He is a bit of a character.

-----
Last edited by ShoStopper on 7/1/2014 9:38:49 PM
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/3/2014 1:44:50 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Congratulations! Love the fun photos!

Shibas always look so happy (like they're smiling) in their pictures!

-----
Last edited by Super Uber Kennels on 7/3/2014 1:45:16 AM
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/3/2014 8:43:19 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

posted by Super Uber Kennels
Shibas always look so happy (like they're smiling) in their pictures!
I agree, always smiling dogs! He looks like he enjoys having fun wink ;)

Alexandria
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2014 11:56:10 AM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

Thanks guys!

The smiling thing is definitely part of the Shiba charm. It was one of the first things I noticed about the breed. Even when they look "serious" they tend to have this smug little, "yeah, but really, I don't take anything this seriously" look on their faces. It can be slightly maddening when you're trying to have an important discussion to them about "rules," and "behavior," and "expectations."

Ringo absolutely does love having fun -- he has a whole bunch of ideas about what "fun" means. Some of these we agree with, and some of these...maybe not so much. Including:

Taking selfies with Mom 1.

Ruining selfies with Mom 1.

Playing with his "doggy genius" toys.

Waking up Mom 2 by dropping dog toys on her head.

Shoving his cold nose into the back of Mom 2's head if she steals all of his dog toys so she can have five more d@mn minutes.

Chasing his home-made flirt-pole (flirt-poles are a God-send for high drive dogs)!

Running in his breeder's backyard.

Learning new tricks (he picked up "sit pretty" really quickly, and now also helps around the house when asked to shut doors).

Going to dog shows and wagging his tail at the judge, because obviously, everyone is there to see and admire him.

Playing with "Auntie Kimi," Mom 1 and 2's first show dog. Auntie Kimi is not always convinced that this is fun, but he's winning her over. What's really funny is watching her pretend she doesn't like him when there are eyes on her...and then scooting closer to him when she thinks no one is looking. Shibas are 100% this devious. They absolutely know how to fake you out and could win Oscars for their performances.

Pushing his dog toys off of the couch and then barking and growling to see if he convince Mom or Dad to get the toy, when it's totally closer to him than it is to them. He will have long, drawn out "conversations" about this, and probably wants to grow up to be a lawyer. Sorry buddy, you're in the family business.

We love him to pieces. You will never be bored if you own a Shiba.

But.

You may be crazy.
 House of Wolves Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2014 7:49:21 PM reply with quote send message to House of Wolves Kennel Object to Post

He is lovely! There is something about Shibas that is just stunning. Congratulations on your wins!
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2014 4:09:11 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

posted by ShoStopper
Thanks guys!

The smiling thing is definitely part of the Shiba charm. It was one of the first things I noticed about the breed. Even when they look "serious" they tend to have this smug little, "yeah, but really, I don't take anything this seriously" look on their faces. It can be slightly maddening when you're trying to have an important discussion to them about "rules," and "behavior," and "expectations."

Ringo absolutely does love having fun -- he has a whole bunch of ideas about what "fun" means. Some of these we agree with, and some of these...maybe not so much. Including:

Taking selfies with Mom 1.

Ruining selfies with Mom 1.

Playing with his "doggy genius" toys.

Waking up Mom 2 by dropping dog toys on her head.

Shoving his cold nose into the back of Mom 2's head if she steals all of his dog toys so she can have five more d@mn minutes.

Chasing his home-made flirt-pole (flirt-poles are a God-send for high drive dogs)!

Running in his breeder's backyard.

Learning new tricks (he picked up "sit pretty" really quickly, and now also helps around the house when asked to shut doors).

Going to dog shows and wagging his tail at the judge, because obviously, everyone is there to see and admire him.

Playing with "Auntie Kimi," Mom 1 and 2's first show dog. Auntie Kimi is not always convinced that this is fun, but he's winning her over. What's really funny is watching her pretend she doesn't like him when there are eyes on her...and then scooting closer to him when she thinks no one is looking. Shibas are 100% this devious. They absolutely know how to fake you out and could win Oscars for their performances.

Pushing his dog toys off of the couch and then barking and growling to see if he convince Mom or Dad to get the toy, when it's totally closer to him than it is to them. He will have long, drawn out "conversations" about this, and probably wants to grow up to be a lawyer. Sorry buddy, you're in the family business.

We love him to pieces. You will never be bored if you own a Shiba.

But.

You may be crazy.

Definitely crazy! After almost 13 years, we are completely bonkers! Honey Bear will tell us when she disagrees with what we are saying or telling her. She disciplines the other dogs, even though we have it completely under control. She chases the cat and then snuggles up with him. She wakes you up at ungodly hours, usually if she needs a drink or if she has to go outside but there are time she wakes you up because she wants a piece of the licorice she knows you have stashed in that walmart bag by your bed. Spunky. That is the only word I can possibly think of to partly describe her! Nugget and Kiku aren't much better, their food brings out the wild side in them and even when their two separate dishes are down, Kiku won't let Nugget eat until she is done. They 'talk' to you....even if you really don't want to hear it. They take after their mother I guess. LOL

Definitely a devious breed but a very happy one. Wouldn't trade the last 12 years for anything!
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2014 10:16:36 AM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Thanks so much, Wolves! It's so funny--the first time I saw a Shiba I actually wasn't sure *what* to think. I was definitely struck by them, but I wasn't positive what it was that was striking me. This was sixteen or so years ago, so they were nowhere near as popular as they are today. I thought, "what an unusual looking animal." No matter what other breeds I looked at, I'd keep coming back to look at Shibas, puzzling over them. When I read up on them I realized they were pretty much *exactly* what I was looking for in a dog, which seemed a miracle, because my requirements were pretty stringent. We went to meet some dogs and breeders, and were hooked after that. We got our first pup fifteen years ago, and that initial impression grew to an appreciation beyond measure. Now, of course, I think Shibas are the most beautiful breed on planet Earth. I should have known, because this is usually how I gauge movies I end up loving. If, upon the first viewing, I leave thinking, "Hmmmm," it will probably end up being on my favorites list within a few months.

Spyte, you know how it is! What I really love is that, while we have the general breed traits that hold true, every single dog ends up being a surprise in some way. There is never a dull moment living with them, and the things they will come up with to entertain themselves, to mess with me, to make me laugh, or to get what they want are always new, clever, and either delightful or just horrifyingly intelligent. My first Shiba, Tai, taught US to open the door to a rung bell. All of our friends and neighbors would come by, see him ring the bell to go outside, and remark on our training chops; kind of embarrassing to explain that in fact, HE came up with it, and we all picked up what he was trying to show us within a day or so!

-----
Last edited by ShoStopper on 7/6/2014 10:16:53 AM
Edited for missing word.

-----
Last edited by ShoStopper on 7/6/2014 10:19:43 AM
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2014 4:19:05 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

They are almost too smart for their own good sometimes! I would love to see pictures of your first shiba!!!
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2014 7:46:36 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

I'll see if I can find a few of him. He was a pet, not a show dog, but I loved the crud out of him and at the time I'd just wanted a pet and wasn't yet into showing. This was back before most of us had digital cameras, so I have a ton of actual snapshots, but not a ton of digital stuff. I have a lot more of Kimi, since her middle aged years coincide with the popularization of the digital camera.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2014 8:52:30 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I want to see pics of all your Shibas! I will have to dig up some of my girl and the pups.

Replies in this thread : 28
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing