Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : BRAG
 House of Wolves Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/1/2014 1:28:12 PM reply with quote send message to House of Wolves Kennel Object to Post   

So, I know I haven't posted on here much lately but I did back in the beginning with this boy so I figured I might give those of you who aren't on FB the good news.

I finished Baron, Ruff-Cut Baron A Black Tie Affair, my first champion Shar-Pei the weekend of the 16th. It was a fabulous win, going over specials to take two points (which is what he needed) and winning under a judge that doesn't tend to prefer color. So I am still on cloud nine, especially since AKC made it official today.

Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2014 1:36:42 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I remember when he was a baby! He's looking gorgeous! Congrats on finishing him.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2014 3:09:06 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Congrats! I love the photo with the bowtie...he looks rather smug wink ;)

Alexandria
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2014 2:33:56 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Congratulations on your new champion! You must be so proud of him!! laugh :D
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2014 2:33:59 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Congratulations on your new champion! You must be so proud of him!! laugh :D

ETA: Ooops! Double post. ...but it's worth repeating again anyways! laugh :D

-----
Last edited by Super Uber Kennels on 7/2/2014 2:35:33 AM
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2014 12:00:45 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

Congratulations! What a very special win.

I recognized your kennel name, and I remembered you have Shar Pei, but somehow I didn't recall this fellow! I've never seen them in that color before -- it is very striking.

House of Wolves Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2014 4:53:41 PM reply with quote send message to House of Wolves Kennel Object to Post

posted by ShoStopper
Congratulations! What a very special win.

I recognized your kennel name, and I remembered you have Shar Pei, but somehow I didn't recall this fellow! I've never seen them in that color before -- it is very striking.

Baron joined my household a year ago this weekend. happy :) He's only a year and a half old and has been an awesome addition to the house.

His color is quite striking, he can appear an almost sable color or even very dark blue, but genetically is a black.
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2014 5:21:05 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

That makes him only a little younger than my newest boy happy :).

Very cool - color genetics always fascinate me - I'm always stunned by how much I think I know about a breed, only to turn around and see something new! Sable is one of my favorite coat colors in pretty much any animal where it is accepted.

Also, I love the bowtie pic - such a gentleman. Living up to his name!

Do you plan to special him, grow him out and see, or seek out some other titles? I imagine specialing an unusual color is difficult, but can always be worth it if you can find judges that recognize what you have.
 House of Wolves Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2014 7:43:19 PM reply with quote send message to House of Wolves Kennel Object to Post

happy :) His show lead has a bowtie on it too. It's been his "thing" since he was a pup.

We will be specialing for sure, while it isn't widely seen this color is one of the original five colors in Shar-Pei and is genetically dominate. Since he is a little young we won't be diving straight into his specials career, but taking it slowly and picking and choosing. At the same time he'll be working on other titles.

First up we will be working on Barn Hunt, which we start training for Monday night!
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2014 10:00:37 AM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

Oh wow! I had no idea it was one of the first colors! In fact, here's where I confess my ignorance and say that I wasn't even aware that there *were* five original colors in Shar Pei (let alone *more* than five), despire liking them very much, and having a a very close friend that has an extraordinarily lovely Shar Pei bitch of her own. I was aware of the fawn (is it called fawn in your breed?) and the blue, and that's about where my knowledge calls it quits.

Barn Hunt! Awesome! We are hoping to do the same with Ringo soon. He has some "cousins" (dogs coming down from the same lines) that were the first Shibas titled in barn hunt. I'm sure he would love it. I'm still mad at myself that I didn't take Kimi to the barn hunt demonstration I saw a few years ago. At the time, I had *no* idea what it was, other than it seemed like people were having a ton of fun, but I was running back and forth between show rings, and figured I'd never make it. Now I'm pretty determined to get involved soon.

You'll have to do an update about how class 1 goes with Baron on Monday!
 House of Wolves Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2014 11:07:57 PM reply with quote send message to House of Wolves Kennel Object to Post

happy :) We have as many colors as you can think of, including variations. Fawn is pretty dominate in the rings these days, but we also have:
Black, Cream, Red, Blue, Brown, Cream Dilute, Five Point Red Dilute, Blue Dilute, Chocolate Dilute, Isabella, Lilac Dilute, and then our patterns which can be varied as well.

The five original were black, red, deep fawn (shade), light fawn (shade), and cream. Blue didn't develop until much later, when one of our breeders stumbled upon a pup later known as Blue Genes in a litter from a black x black breeding in 1985. From him and another blue that popped up around the same time (can't remember his name!) come all of our blues.

Color can be very contentious in Shar-Pei, but it's very interesting!

There has been a lot of success in Pei lately in Barn Hunt, it's one of their breed instincts so it'll be exciting to see his aptitude in it. These classes just sprung up and a friend of mine with ratties suggested it. happy :) I will definitely have to give an update, it just sounds like so much fun!

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.