Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : Adding AKC FSS Breeds and other missing AKC Breeds
 OceaniaFoxhounds
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/6/2014 8:24:55 AM reply with quote send message to OceaniaFoxhounds Object to Post   

Hello,
It has been a while since I played this game and I have noticed some new breeds have been added, which is great. I have noticed that there are some breeds that are included in the AKC FSS (Foundation Stock Service) on here but not all of them. I think it would be great if all of the FSS breeds were added. The following FSS breeds are missing from SD:
American Hairless Terrier (AKC Misc breed)
American Leopard Hound
Barbet
Berger Picard (AKC Misc breed moving to full status in 2015)
Biewer Terrier
Bolognese
Bracco Italiano
Braque du Bourbonnais
Broholmer
Catahoula Leopard Dog
Caucasian Ovcharka
Central Asian Shepherd Dog
Cirneco dell’Etna (AKC Misc breed)
Czechoslovakian Vlcak
Danish-Swedish Farmdog
Deutscher Wachtelhund
Drentsche Patrijshond
Dutch Shepherd
Eurasier
French Spaniel
German Longhaired Pointer
Hamiltonstovare (my breed in RL and no game has them)
Hovawart
Jagdterrier
Jindo
Kai Ken
Karelian Bear Dog
Kishu Ken
Kromfohrlander
Lancashire Heeler
Miniature American Shepherd (AKC Misc breed)
Norrbottenspets (AKC Misc breed)
Perro de Presa Canario
Peruvian Inca Orchid (AKC Misc breed)
Portuguese Sheepdog
Pyrenean Mastiff
Rafeiro do Alentejo
Russian Toy
Schapendoes
Slovensky Cuvac
Sloughi (AKC Misc breed)
Small Munsterlander Pointer
Spanish Mastiff
Stabyhoun
Swedish Lapphund
Tornjak
Tosa
Treeing Tennessee Brindle

I also noticed that there are some AKC fully recognized breeds missing as well. I remember when I played years ago that a new breed was added when it was fully recognized by the AKC. It doesn't seem to be that way anymore.
Fully Recognized AKC Breeds Missing
Bluetick Coonhound
Treeing Walker Coonhound
American English Coonhound
Coton de Tulear
Norwegian Ludenhund
Boykin Spaniel
Cesky Terrier
Chinook
Finnish Lapphund
Icelandic Sheepdog
Xoloitzcuintli
 Leotyde Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/6/2014 9:57:06 AM reply with quote send message to Leotyde Kennels Object to Post

There are many breeds that don't get attention on this site as it is. I doubt any of these will be added any time soon.
 OceaniaFoxhounds
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2014 10:27:02 AM reply with quote send message to OceaniaFoxhounds Object to Post

I wish they would because there are some FSS breeds included but others excluded. It just doesn't seem fair. It really doesn't seem right for the breeds left out that are fully recognized by the AKC.
 Leotyde Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/6/2014 11:13:48 AM reply with quote send message to Leotyde Kennels Object to Post

This game is based on RL. It doesn't even seen feasible to add this many breeds to have them 'dead', not to mention the color coding work that would be involved, and the pictures that must be drawn at some point.

Again, there are 188 breeds to choose from, many of which have little to no active participants.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2014 7:04:54 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I agree with the ones that have gained full akc recognition. But like the user above said, there are already a ton of dogs that are not shown or bred, so I don't know about the rest of the breeds. I have thought of this though. I'd love to do Cotons personally.
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2014 1:50:48 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Except Showdog is not based solely on the AKC and never has been. We have a diverse membership that includes players worldwide. There are NUMEROUS other kennel clubs and breed standards than just the AKC, all of which have slightly different approaches.

Last time breeds were added, it was based on what users wanted, not strictly following the AKC. So we ended up with some neat rare breeds that aren't AKC and some that are.

The last time we overhauled the Breed Standards and the color genetics, breeds got to help and choose. In all the breeds was in, standards from around the world were consulted and incorporated, not just AKC.

ETA- Jeff has also said that no new breeds will be added for some time, as the player base is stretched to thinly over the breeds we do have.

-----
Last edited by Lilliput on 7/7/2014 1:51:52 PM
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
1/11/2015 10:47:32 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Any news on adding some new breeds - AKC and UK KC recognised breeds differ quite a bit. I'm sure there are players on here that come from a lot of different countries with breeds recognised there that aren't recognised within AKC, but they should be included on here.

Just for my info - which ARBA breeds are included on this site?

Almost Heaven
Basic User

Basic User
1/11/2015 1:57:14 PM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post

I think we have so many abandoned breeds now that we really don't need to add new ones. Just because the AKC recognizes the breed doesn't mean it HAS to be on Showdog.com

I have the utmost respect for those who struggle day in and day out as the only breeder in a breed they love. But actually FEWER BREEDS would be belter in the long run. New members would be funneled in to fewer existing breeds and increase the breeder pool as opposed to being spread out over 188 (or more ) choices.

I think we should not mess with the breed list at this time. my 2cents.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
1/11/2015 4:41:39 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I just think that it would be nice if those who show particular breeds in RL could have those breeds on SD. I'm currently devoting myself on SD to a breed with just 2 active kennels (same family) and 2 owners with 1 or 2 dogs (me). I show daily knowing there isn't any chance of another in my breed being shown but I live in hope. In the past I had premium kennels but haven't been playing for 9 years, and then I religiously logged in daily to SD, as I do now.

If the players and Admin think there are too many breeds then that begs the question "should we have a two-tier system with breeds that don't get a minimum entry at at least one show per day being placed on a 'rare-breed' register and those breeds all being channelled to one show a day to compete in AVNSC Classes with all rare breeds competing against each other. Best AVNSC and reserve Best AVNSC or BOS AVNSC could be awarded and a requisite number of Best AVNSC wins (say 10) could obtain a title for example ChRB.
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2015 9:11:45 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

Personally, I do not think the game needs new breeds. But I do think it would be cool to add a couple breeds every year on the anniversary of the game.

Maybe turn it into a new yearly event. Jeff posts a list of 5 breeds... Members vote for a month or so. Then on the anniversary... Jeff releases one or two new breeds based on the highest vote getters.

Will
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/13/2015 11:16:46 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I agree that it is nice for folks to be able to play with their RL breeds but as it has been pointed out, we already have large numbers of abandoned breeds and breeds with very small numbers, including a number of fairly popular RL breeds.

I would support additional breeds but I just don't think it is practical at this time.

Perhaps there is some merit to setting up a 'Rare Breed' show. I could see it being done as a show sponsor choice along with the [All Breed/Specialty] option. I believe that there was a discussion some time ago about adding the option to create Group Specialties - perhaps that could be revived too. In fact I rather like this idea.

Another Poll? How would we phrase the questions for it?

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/13/2015 11:19:39 AM
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 2:02:26 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Maybe if Jeff agrees we could ask for nominations from the members (basics and premiums) for 'new' breeds to be added. All the suggested breeds nominated within say a one week period (lets be honest if you don't log on at least once a week just how serious about looking after your SD dogs can you be?)go to a poll and we have a week to vote on our 1 favourite from the list.
If Jeff can implement it easily enough, and he obviously feels we warrant it, maybe the 2 top breeds could be introduced into the sim. Perhaps we could have 2 new breeds every 6 months or so.

Going back to my 'rare breed' idea - what do people feel about 'unsupported' breeds ie those that aren't shown (after all the name of the sim is ShowDog not Breed-a-Dog or Fill-a-Kennel-a-Dog) being 'de-classified' to a RB (rare-breed) or UB (unsupported breed) status and until particular breed numbers being shown increase to a designated level those breeds have to compete in mixed breed show classes.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
1/17/2015 3:05:16 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by mournebrake
Going back to my 'rare breed' idea - what do people feel about 'unsupported' breeds ie those that aren't shown being 'de-classified' to a RB (rare-breed) or UB (unsupported breed) status and until particular breed numbers being shown increase to a designated level those breeds have to compete in mixed breed show classes.
That is an interesting idea (although probably hard to implement). Since many people in rare breeds are discouraged by the need to session multiple dogs to show at once just so they can build majors to finish their dogs.

grif,

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.