.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 59
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

.envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
7/9/2014 8:44:45 PM reply with quote send message to .envoy. Object to Post

No worries - that was my biggest concern too. The vet that did the bandage and cast (Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital) estimated the cost of the surgery to be between $3,000-4,000 and the orthopedic surgeon had an opening either today or next Tuesday. We simply didn't have the funds to do the surgery today. Yesterday a great friend I've met through showing (he's a vet) told me that the board certified orthopedic surgeon who comes into his clinic could do the surgery for about half of CSUVTHs estimated price but we would have to do it next Thursday as that is his surgeons next opening. We were already going to wait until Tuesday and both vets told us that typically, you don't have the quite the number of concerns in dogs as you do in humans. So we're not too concerned right now. I also set up a donations page and have been beyond blessed by the generosity of family and friends and we've raised just over 50% of the funds needed for her surgery. happy :)
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/10/2014 1:07:23 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

I wish I could contribute money, but all I have is prayers, pretty much!

Alexandria
 .envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
7/10/2014 1:33:25 PM reply with quote send message to .envoy. Object to Post

I'm not asking for money here by any means - I'm just overjoyed at the generosity of everyone who has helped me out. The worst feeling in the world was when they said it couldn't be splinted and she needed surgery and all I could worry about was money. Call me crazy but this dog is like my child and like parents say, they only want the best for their kids. Now that I almost have all the money raised for her surgery I can completely focus on getting her the best care and not worrying too much about money.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/11/2014 12:01:32 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I do hope this all works out. As a dog owner I dread having to make life decisions based on money. I recently spent $3000 for gastric torsion surgery on my 15 year old. There was no time to line up the funding. I just said do it and damn the cost. It went on my credit card (maxed it out), and I paid it off from my “driveway paving fund”. I’d have gone into debt if I had to but fortunately I just have to wait another year or so to get rid of that gravel.

My best to Olive.
 .envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2014 12:09:46 PM reply with quote send message to .envoy. Object to Post

Thank you - I'd go into debt over and over again if I had to with my dogs, especially Olive. She's my life!
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2014 11:56:41 AM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

I know what you mean ... I've been paying off my baby's vet bill from contracting Salmon Poisoning Disease since March ($4500) and I don't regret a penny of it! I have cut back on everything to make it work and have actually learned that it is possible to go 3 months without attending a dog show, only take 1 dog to performance classes and only do Rally and Agility, not all the sports. It really can be done happy :)
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2014 5:13:35 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

So glad she's going to be ok! She looks like she's handling things really well--what a tough little cookie.

And agreed--bitch fights are pretty intense!
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2014 1:21:35 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

How is she doing?
 .envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2014 10:05:14 AM reply with quote send message to .envoy. Object to Post

She's getting along ok, thanks for asking. Unfortunately she's starting to realize that she can move around pretty well so instead of sleeping on the couch she wants to get up and chase cats. This results in a lot more crate time but it's better for her so she can rest. Surgery in two days!
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2014 8:16:47 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Lol, chasing cats, eh? Glad to hear she is doing better and praying about her surgery!

Alexandria
 .envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2014 10:06:49 AM reply with quote send message to .envoy. Object to Post

Olive update!

She had a successful surgery on Thursday and the surgeon said her prognosis to return to normal function is good. I got to watch the whole thing, it was pretty interesting to see him work with the fracture until it was just right and he put the plate on. The fracture on her ulna was left alone as the wrist was very stable and the muscles will pull the bone back in place. She has a soft sided bandage for a few days (along with the cone of shame because she decided she wanted to eat the bandage). Then her staples come out in 2 weeks, and she has x-rays at 4 weeks and 8 weeks to make sure everything is good. The plate can come out once she's healed, but he said we could also leave it in as long as she won't be swimming in cold water as that can cause pain so I think that's what we will do.

GraceInGlory
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/19/2014 10:14:07 AM reply with quote send message to GraceInGlory Object to Post

So glad to hear the surgery went smoothly! She's going to be feeling back to normal in no time!
 GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/19/2014 12:11:31 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

Glad to hear things went well. Hoping for a speedy recovery so she can chase those dang cats.

Hate those cones - they catch on everything. I saw some advertised somewhere that were like blowup beach toy that looked much mor comfy.

.envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2014 12:24:53 PM reply with quote send message to .envoy. Object to Post

Yeah they're a pain. We've actually tried a couple of different things but this is the only one that really works with her. At night she sleeps with me so she doesn't have to have the cone but it is annoying during the day
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2014 11:06:53 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

So happy for y'all!
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2014 12:31:29 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Yay Olive!

My hound got a random infection in his eyebrow a few years ago, and we ended up using cardboard and made a small tunnel type thing. It kept him calm, since he couldn't see too much. Looked crazy tacky, with the duct tape holding it together, but it did its duty! happy :)
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2014 9:49:32 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

I'm glad to hear she is doing better and is on the road to recovery.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2014 10:23:02 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

How is Olive getting along?
 Simply Sporting Ltd
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/4/2014 1:42:01 PM reply with quote send message to Simply Sporting Ltd Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

May we have another "pupdate" when you have a chance?

Prayers and best wishes going up for a speedy recovery.
Olive Get Well Soon!!!
Happy and Healthy are of course the main priorities, BUT... Has the vet said anything about how this will affect her movement? After its healed will Olive still be able to get her GCH? I know she was over 1/2 way after the Cali shows.

Linda

-----
Last edited by Simply Sporting Ltd on 8/4/2014 1:48:25 PM
 .envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2014 10:17:02 PM reply with quote send message to .envoy. Object to Post

Sorry guys! Olive is healing very well - she got her staples out today and the ortho vet said the incision looks fantastic.

We aren't sure if she'll be able to be shown again, she might always walk with a slight limp. The vet today said with the way she's recovering, she might not limp at all in which case she'll be able to be shown. Only time will tell!

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow happy :)

Replies in this thread : 59
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.