Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Results from my first juniors show!
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/27/2014 9:32:56 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hey everyone, many of you knew that i was going out last weekend for my first AKC Junior Showmanship competition.

I had been in shows as a helper/groomer/ringside person, including a match with my puppy, but this is the first time both me and my dog have been sprayed up, dressed up and in the ring!

The first day (Thursday) was ok, I had no clue what I was doing so his hair, and I, looked horrible. I had never sprayed Coals hair up so... it was just bad

The second day was a little better. That day, Friday, I had competition, which I lost to, but the girl was very nice and we talked for a while about various things! ( I wasn't as upset since she had a CH Corgi and has been showing for 2 years ). I lost to the same girl the next day.

Today ( Sunday ) We were alone again, so we went into the final junior Ring against 6 others, again not winning best junior but I FINALLY got his free stack correct and I was proud of my boy for being so tired but putting on a great show.

Throughout the weekend I helped someone groom her Lowchens and Tibbies. They were all so sweet!

I met many handlers and people who gave me advice, including some people who offered for me to help them ringside next summer!

As for the show itself, it was huge, 1800-2200 dogs a day, both the #1 and #2 dog were at this show, both went BIS or RBIS everyday. This made the show boring, I knew the results would pan out the way they did.

I'm so excited to go out and do it again! Thank you everyone who helped me on here! Especially Fourlorn!

* Pictures below *

-----
Last edited by Beach Dunes on 7/27/2014 9:48:38 PM
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
7/27/2014 9:39:40 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

Much love from the baaby Coal and I <3

EDITS: Pictures are being stupid so I took out half of the post and their links!

-----
Last edited by Beach Dunes on 7/27/2014 9:43:40 PM
 Ambrosia_Cocker
Basic User

Basic User
7/27/2014 9:59:11 PM reply with quote send message to Ambrosia_Cocker Object to Post

Glad you had fun and met nice people.. It just takes time and patience.. I started in Juniors with cockers, learned everything myself., and eventually I started Winning.. It just takes time..
I'm guessing you were in Greenville?
 Rosepoint
Basic User

Basic User
7/27/2014 10:31:26 PM reply with quote send message to Rosepoint Object to Post

Your dog is so cute!! Showing definitely takes a little time to get used to...getting to compete against champion dogs is really good experience though!! Good luck on your future shows!!
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2014 4:43:10 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I see you remembered to breathe! laugh :D

Coal is gorgeous!

At least you learned this weekend and got that free stack down! I'd say it was a great weekend!

Congrats!!

ETA: Spelling issues - its 2:45 am for me. laugh :D

-----
Last edited by Treestand Kennel on 7/28/2014 4:44:22 AM
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2014 12:46:32 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

Love the colour of your suit! Every class is a learning experience so just move forward and take what you learned to the next show. A lot of the Juniors you are showing against have been in the ring since the were 8 years old so you have a steep learning curve ahead. When you watch Matisse and Swagger win, you need to watch their handlers and again take it as another golden learning experience ... Best of luck.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2014 4:28:39 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Thank you so much everyone! Yes we were at Greenville. I was busy with my own dogs most of the time, but when I had free time I would watch handlers for tips (:
 Lumen2
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2014 1:09:31 AM reply with quote send message to Lumen2 Object to Post

Just wanted to comment, it doesn't matter if your competition's dog is a CH or not, or if your dog is or not! I did a lot of winning in juniors, with a dog that never finished. His front tooth even went missing a few days before the Garden, and we still placed happy :)

So never let that intimidate you!
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/30/2014 8:40:53 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

OMG! I DIDNT KNOW YOU WERE AT GREENVILLE!!! I was there with the BRT crowd. I took a rotti and of course Gabby too. We did well. Got breed in BRTs and a group 3rd first day.

Finished a gch on a BRT bitch. happy :)

I am so very proud of you and cannot wait to see you again!

-Four

Btw, pretty sure I lost your number when I got a new phone PM it to me. happy :)
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2014 12:11:42 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Congrats, Hayley! Seems like you had a great time and learned bunches. Everybody's gotta start somewhere happy :)

Alexandria
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2014 8:18:55 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

Sounds like you had a fun and rewarding weekend! Coal looks like he enjoyed himself as well!
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2014 8:59:16 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Haha, Coal was tired! THe last day, Juniors was split up and the BJ was at 2:30, as we waited for the other classes, he fell asleep standing up while I was holding his face!

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.