Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Source Breeding
 Southern Royalty
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/30/2014 2:05:27 AM reply with quote send message to Southern Royalty Object to Post   

So, I'm a returning member. It's been several years since I've been on the site, but I returned out of curiosity. I really want to source breed my own line, and given the fact that we can now buy our own source dogs, I'm even more in love with the idea. I began this account with Rottweilers, because I'm absolutely in love with the breed in real life. I have source Rottweilers that I've begun breeding, one older dog that I've been showing, and a pup that I planned on showing later. Just so I could have dog(s) to show and make a mark in the breed and to begin my own line at the same time, but not allow the two to cross. I've very quickly realized that Rottweilers are a very competitive breed on the site, and not that I'm not up to the challenge, I'd just prefer to not start off with something more difficult. So to get to the point(s),

1. What are some other breeds that aren't as competitive on the site? I've looked at Kelpies and Tervurens. I want something that a source dog wouldn't be too expensive on.
2. Is my idea that I'm having for the account a good one? I mean to have a source line being started and to have a few show dogs as well?
3. Does any one have any advice or experiences they'd like to share on source breeding? I've actually never dabbled in it before on here so anything would be of help. Thank you! happy :)
 Southern Royalty
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2014 2:30:45 AM reply with quote send message to Southern Royalty Object to Post

Just some ideas on breeds. If anyone has experiences or opinions please share. happy :)

1. Miniature Pinscher: Ranked #128, average $201 per starter, 9 breeders
2. Smooth Fox Terrier: Ranked #85, average $120 per starter, 12 breeders
3. Italian Greyhound: Ranked #118, average $306 per starter, 11 breeders
4. Belgian Tervuren: Ranked #25, average $40 per starter, 17 breeders
5. Australian Kelpie: Ranked #77, average $20 per starter, 18 breeders
6. Swedish Vallhund: Ranked #91, average $112 per starter, 9 breeders
 Sombra Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2014 4:52:35 AM reply with quote send message to Sombra Kennels Object to Post

The breed is entirely up to you! The cost of the source dogs can fluctuate every 24 hours depending on the number of dogs currently listed for sale.
You can also pay double to pick your own color.
I have been working on a show and color breeding project in this kennel with Briards for the last three months or so.
My color/source lines are currently at 50ish SOP while my show lines are at 90 SOP.
Depending on how true you want to be to just using source dogs it can take a long time. I do breed up for SOP, mixing my color and show lines, breeding only source to source will take quite a bit longer to increase SOP I believe.
Feel free to post or message any questions!!
 Southern Royalty
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2014 10:42:22 AM reply with quote send message to Southern Royalty Object to Post

I've also looked at Samoyeds and Border Terriers.

And I'd like to stick to just source dogs, because I want to completely breed my own line. However, I'm not sure if using a stud dog really affects if the line is mine or not. Genetic wise of course. But, I guess I'll get there when I get there. Haha happy :)

Thank you! happy :)
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2014 10:59:16 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I'm working on getting traits on the opposite end, for Gordon Setters (all show quality coats are above 10, so I'm breeding for coats below 10, etc). I, too,am breeding to current show quality dogs, just to get up to show quality faster. I definitely commend you for have the patience to breed from source dogs. laugh :D
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2014 2:25:11 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have a color scource project for Corgis in my other kennel. Picked them, because they were cheap ($40 each, choosing wjat colors I wanted), there were a lot of colors, and I just thought they were cute. And, because I was bored of all the colors in other breeds…needed a new challenge, you could say.

ETA: They're Cardigan Welsh Corgis and I believe only one person is showing.

Alexandria

-----
Last edited by Laffy-Taffy Kennels on 7/30/2014 2:26:41 PM
 ruthlessHavoc
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/1/2014 11:11:12 AM reply with quote send message to ruthlessHavoc Object to Post

In my other kennel, I'm on generation 12 (about to break 70% SOP, old ratings) in Finnish Spitz without using any outside dogs or show lines. They are ranked #155 and cost $32 for a source dog. Although I do not currently show this breed, the show quality dogs are in the 87,88,89 SOP range. I would enjoy friendly competition with another source breeder and would not mind sharing my boys or sending a female your way. A breeder has two show quality females for sale right now. There are usually a small handful of dogs for sale, enough to get you started.

I have found it extremely useful, in the beginning, to get the best possible quality starters you can and as many as you can handle. Since you will be tempted to breed everything in your kennel to that one high quality starter male, you will probably want to have other good quality options to keep COI at a reasonable percentage. At least in my experience. This meant I was forever homing many of the starters I bought and replacing them with better ones before I even started breeding. In my opinion, this helped. But who knows laugh :D

Good luck!!
 Southern Royalty
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2014 12:15:16 PM reply with quote send message to Southern Royalty Object to Post

I'm still searching around. Thank you all for sharing and for all of the advice! happy :)
 WishMaker
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/26/2014 10:28:41 PM reply with quote send message to WishMaker Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I've been color/source breeding Samoyeds since 2006. I'm now just breaking into the 87's for SOP. When I first started my kennel back in late 2005, Samoyeds were very popular. Now there are only a few of us left and they have dropped near the bottom of the breed listsad :(. It would be nice if there were more people in my breed color/source breeding as it would be nice if I wasn't the only one doing it. It's a long road though, but it will be rewarding when my very own line of dogs are winning in the show ringhappy :)

When I first started my source kennel, we could still use dogs that started the game if they were up for stud, even if the person hasn't logged on in years. It was nice as dogs weren't dying then and it didn't matter if you bred brother and sister. I don't remember how many outside stud dogs I used, but I do know it was only a few. I also made sure they were pretty close to the same generation I was on. Now I usually only keep about 4 studs and 12 bitches. That way I always have room for the new puppies.

I'm hoping to be caught up to the current SOP by the end of next yearhappy :) I've worked very hard to get this far so before you ask, I'm not planning on selling any of my dogs until I reach my goal sad sad :(

WishMaker

P.S I also posted this on another source breeding post, but thought it might be helpful here too happy :)

-----
Last edited by WishMaker on 8/26/2014 10:30:19 PM

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.