Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 68
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2014 5:51:48 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Oh my gosh. I don't get how people think dogs that large are ok. I wish people were like dogs ... Maya doesn't look like she cares he's horribly over weight, just wants him to play. lol

He looks like a very sweet boy!
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2014 6:09:12 PM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

He is a very sweet boy ant taking everything in stride lol it's just horrible listening to him breathe while all stretched out on floor. I would so love to strangle the people who did this to him. He's even registered I believe his name is Buckshot Bam Bam Longhunter. Or something like that lol I'd have to look to be positive. He is also up to date on all shots I have receipts from vets office and copy of rabies certificate.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2014 9:06:37 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

At least he has shots utd! happy :)
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/16/2014 10:48:02 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

How was today?
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2014 7:57:53 AM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

Zeke is doing great. Last night he was in a coma we spent most of the day outside lol. He hasn't had any accidents inside and last night woke me up with whines to go potty. He is such a good boy. Even wagged his tail when my husband got home I was starting to wonder if it worked lol. Right now we ldt him loose outside with us no worries of him running off and comes every time we call him. I'm going to miss that when he's more fit and can actually follow a trail lol.

Right now he's getting 3 cups a day of taste of the wild wetlands what do you guys think? The high protein is good but did cut the ration down almost half of what they say for his normal size due to slightly higher calories. My friend was giving him half cup a day of crappy walmart food I think that would do more harm than good... and he's getting a ton more exercise here so that also helps lol.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2014 12:06:20 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

That's so great! My boy was a Velcro dog for so long. Sometimes I miss that. laugh :D

When I took my boy's weight off, I did it slowly, per the vet's recommendation. What you're doing sounds great! I'm so happy he loves you guys already! happy :)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2014 12:26:45 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

posted by WR Kennel

Right now he's getting 3 cups a day of taste of the wild wetlands what do you guys think? The high protein is good but did cut the ration down almost half of what they say for his normal size due to slightly higher calories. My friend was giving him half cup a day of crappy walmart food I think that would do more harm than good... and he's getting a ton more exercise here so that also helps lol.

What do you estimate his "normal" (ie, skinny) weight to be? My Dad's 90lb greyhound gets 2cups/day of TOTW I think and maintains weight, but I'm unsure how big you think this boy would weigh if healthy.

I suppose the best food advice, is to find someplace with a scale that can weigh him- and then weigh him regularly to make sure he's having steady, sustained weight loss, and adjust from there. But I know that is easier said than done with a dog his size! Would it maybe be possible to swing him by the vet once a week, or twice a month just to use their scale? Having a starting weight on him would really help too.
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2014 5:32:05 PM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

I'm going according to the 100 to 110 standard I've read every where. Yes I think even trimmed up he's going to be around that large lol. I have an 80 plus pound lab that is in great condition who gets 4 cups a day and even without all the extra weight he's going to be a lot larger than her. First time I ever thought of our lab as being tiny hahaha.

Going to be calling the vet in the morning happy :) yes already planned to see about checking weight with them.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2014 7:33:56 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I'm interested to see how much he weighs!
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2014 8:54:30 PM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

Me too lol hope I can take him for a weigh in. Assuming we can get him back into suv lol he loves car rides and when we picked him up he got his front legs up on the bumper but the three of us had to boost the rest of him lol
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2014 10:05:08 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

posted by WR Kennel
Me too lol hope I can take him for a weigh in. Assuming we can get him back into suv lol he loves car rides and when we picked him up he got his front legs up on the bumper but the three of us had to boost the rest of him lol
You might need to invest in a car ramp. I think some brands aren't TOO expensive (although you should probably check the weight limits). They make them just for dogs.

I was wrong about the kibble amount- the 90lb greyhound eats 2 cup, TWICE a day, so he eats 4 cups total. Which means it sounds like 3 cups should almost certainly show some weight loss results!
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2014 8:50:16 AM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

Zeke has a 2:30 appt today to get weighed and his nails trimmed happy :) Hope it goes well lol. Can't wait to see how much he actually weighs and his nails are so bad I don't think they've ever been trimmed sad :( Not that my chihuahuas nails are the best lol but at least I try hahaha
 admin
Administrator

Administrator
8/18/2014 9:44:42 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

test
 sngpugs
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2014 1:21:35 PM reply with quote send message to sngpugs Object to Post

posted by WR Kennel
Zeke has a 2:30 appt today to get weighed and his nails trimmed happy :) Hope it goes well lol. Can't wait to see how much he actually weighs and his nails are so bad I don't think they've ever been trimmed sad :( Not that my chihuahuas nails are the best lol but at least I try hahaha
Hi.
Don't go by the 100-110 lbs limit. That will depend on his height and build and (eventually) condition.
Our Beau was at a good show weight and condition at 130 lbs while Lucy's was 90 lbs and Reba's was 110.

The best advice we ever got was from a long time BH breeder and that was to make sure their food was sloppy! Feed 2X a day and make it with lots of hot water so the kibble soaks it up before you feed and make sure it is still sloppy when ready.Never restrict water.
This will lessen the chance of bloat.
Good luck with the boy. happy :)
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2014 1:23:15 PM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

-----
Last edited by WR Kennel on 8/18/2014 1:24:12 PM
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2014 3:25:38 PM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

I haven't seen that anywhere yet about the sloppy food, thanks for the tip. We also have the lab who also have a chance to bloat and just always made sure that there wasn't any hard running after eating and we do feed two meals a day not one big one.

Yes, I even upgraded from a large size water bowl to the Xlarge lmao my lab is also a big drinker, between the two of them I have to refill that water bowl at least twice a day. Cleaning the drool out doesn't hurt either happy :) And I always keep a water dish outside too because we spend a lot of time out there.

Well he did great at the vets. They said other than his obesity he seems to be in good health and even got his nails trimmed like such a good boy. His grand total of weight... 228 lbs! wow! LOL
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2014 4:27:13 PM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

If anyone wants to track his progress better or see my other menagerie of dogs and horses feel free to shoot me an email and I'll give you my Facebook info and add you as a friend happy :)
 sngpugs
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2014 6:01:53 PM reply with quote send message to sngpugs Object to Post

posted by WR Kennel
I haven't seen that anywhere yet about the sloppy food, thanks for the tip. We also have the lab who also have a chance to bloat and just always made sure that there wasn't any hard running after eating and we do feed two meals a day not one big one.

Yes, I even upgraded from a large size water bowl to the Xlarge lmao my lab is also a big drinker, between the two of them I have to refill that water bowl at least twice a day. Cleaning the drool out doesn't hurt either happy :) And I always keep a water dish outside too because we spend a lot of time out there.

Well he did great at the vets. They said other than his obesity he seems to be in good health and even got his nails trimmed like such a good boy. His grand total of weight... 228 lbs! wow! LOL

Oh yes.... the drool!
3' string 8 feet away wink ;) It will eat the paint off your car if not wiped off immed. Also watch any paintings you have in the house. Dab it off carefully, don't wipe lol.
At least you are over the puppy stage. BH's can be very destructive pups. Had 1 pup in puppy socializing class and was asked to bring fav toy to next class. We couldn't fit the coffee table into the car.
If they weren't such sweet dogs.... LOL
228 .. wow! Any chance you can take him swimming? Keeping him on leash at all times of course. That will help drop the weight quite fast without putting to much stress on his joints.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2014 6:22:13 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Big boy! What did the vet say they wanted to see him at?

Swimming does wonders! Helps cool you down too! happy :)
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2014 6:03:43 PM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

My mom lives on a river I'll see if we can get him out there this weekend! The vet didn't give a target weight yet. I'm guessing she will wait until he's a bit smaller before we worry about that lol

Replies in this thread : 68
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.