.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 23
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : What do you feed?
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/20/2014 3:13:28 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post   

So not looking to start any arguments, just curious what everyone feeds their pups.

I feed my boys prey model raw.

It works wonders for my boys, what works for your crew? happy :)
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2014 5:19:32 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

Merricks Grain Free Pork formula ... hypoallergenic since pork is under utilized in common diets. Cooked so no salmonella, neo-ricketsia, etc. Also add a bit of home made stew as variety.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2014 5:53:46 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

Taste of the Wild- usually the bison formula.
I also rotate in raw eggs, fresh fruits and veggies. As well as some raw bones, turkey necks, livers, etc.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2014 8:54:53 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Mine didn't care for any of the Merrick I tried. Bummed me out, because I remember liking the brand when I worked in a pet store. They loved TOTW, but the store close to us stopped carrying it. Of course. lol
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2014 1:14:38 AM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice (Corn, Soy & Wheat Free), I have tried switching to higher quality but my dogs didn't do well so we stick with what works & its reasonably priced. I can't wait till I am able to feed raw though.
 GraceInGlory
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/21/2014 10:28:33 AM reply with quote send message to GraceInGlory Object to Post

Mine are raw fed too. I follow the prey model to get balanced meat/bones/offal, but I do also feed veggies, fruits and even rice, quinoa and oatmeal sometimes.

It's unbelievable the difference in health between my 7yr old boy who's been raw fed for the past 5 years and his sister who gets kibble (and a good quality kibble too)! Who knows how much can be attributed to diet, but I believe it plays a big role.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/21/2014 11:35:09 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Home made.

Hamburger,chicken including soft bits of bone, occasional liver, eggs, carrots green beens, yellow beans, broccoli, tomato, brown rice, oatmeal, bran. All cooked in a big pot and frozen in two day batches. All ingredients human grade.

I add glucosomine, Vitamin D & C, Omega-3.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 8/21/2014 11:36:30 AM
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2014 11:43:48 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

It is amazing how quickly my boys changed. It's ALL in the poop! laugh :D

We just bought 47 acres and are in the process of clearing land, but once we do, the boys will have such a variety of food. I'm excited. happy :)
 BeddiZ
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/21/2014 12:54:14 PM reply with quote send message to BeddiZ Object to Post

giving my dog acana wild prairie. thinking of switch to acana lamb and apple now when it's grain free too. since the wild prairie one almost costs as much as that one now, so why not
 Delias Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/21/2014 8:06:35 PM reply with quote send message to Delias Kennel Object to Post

My boy is currently on Natural Balance LID. Mainly the sweet potatoe and bison formula but we will switch it up to the duck and potatoe formula from time to time. He has allergies to chicken,beef and grains.

Delias Kennel
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2014 8:41:00 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

Diamond Naturals and 4Health. They do really well on it, we switch between the flavors on diamond naturals and they have no problems with any of them.

We also feed the Wolfhounds vanilla icecream mixed with oats and ground beef.
 Targaryen
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/21/2014 9:47:50 PM reply with quote send message to Targaryen Object to Post

I feed my dogs Timberwolf Organics Platinum series (a five star food on Dog Food Advisor) and the raw diet mainly from my own chickens and sheep. They all do very well. My dogs are very active with my border collies being my sheep dogs and my shepherds doing schutzhund. I like diet with a lot of high quality protein.
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2014 12:06:11 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

We feed Orijen here. Been on it I think 7 years now? Very pleased, even compared to the premium foods I used before. We switch between Fish and Adult or Puppy. Would have the Red Meat in rotation too, but it just doesn't agree with her.
 WishMaker
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/22/2014 10:46:51 AM reply with quote send message to WishMaker Object to Post

I feed a raw diet. I will never go back to kibble. My dogs are so much healthier since I switched happy :).

WishMaker
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2014 11:06:19 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Wish, which one do you follow, meat, organs, and bone only or do you add veggies and supplements in too?
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2014 5:04:10 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

ive swapped mine onto Lupo Sensitive 24/10. She was on csj no grainer and has never looked better but after getting to the end of the first 15kg she had started chewing her feet a lot so decided to swap. while waiting for the new food I gave her vets kitchin but she put on weight with that.
Not had a chance to see how she is on the lupo though as she has only been on it a week or two and has picked up a stomach bug that going around so on chicken for until better.
 WishMaker
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/24/2014 11:17:37 AM reply with quote send message to WishMaker Object to Post

I mainly follow the prey model diet. But about once a week I use a commercial raw for one of their two daily meals. I do this as some meats are harder to find like goose, venison, ostrich etc.. It's good to rotate the protein sources around.

WishMaker
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2014 11:32:42 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I haven't heard of Lupo. Sorry your girl isn't feeling well.

My boys are on a rotation of chicken, turkey, pork, beef, deer, and elk (organs from all of those sources, too). Going to add goat and guinea hen and rabbit soon. Duck season is coming up too. happy :)
 Mistys
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2014 6:47:33 PM reply with quote send message to Mistys Object to Post

Gem eats Orijen 6 fish supplemented with raw meals, she licks her feet if she eats Chicken or Beef and I can't afford to feed her all raw with no inclusion of those meats. I would rotate kibbles but she won't eat anything else, apperently Orijen 6fish never gets boring lol

Everyone else eats all raw.
 WR Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2014 7:53:18 PM reply with quote send message to WR Kennel Object to Post

Taste Of The Wild for my crew
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
9/1/2014 2:59:38 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

Evangers/Merrick for one, Nature's Variety Prairie for the other.

In the past we've fed Wellness, Natural Balance, and raw.

Replies in this thread : 23
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler