Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 24
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2014 7:19:08 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

So I talked with my family.... They WANT me to leave Coal with them. They want me to be able to do what I want to do and have fun.... I know they'll take good care of them and they said he behaves well when I'm not home ( Go figure xD ). I'm pretty sure my boss would let them get him groomed for free. That makes me feel a lot better. We just officially decided on the next show we are going to in Sept.
Gives me a chance to help more people there, get my name out more

-----
Last edited by Beach Dunes on 8/24/2014 8:07:30 PM
 .envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2014 9:54:48 AM reply with quote send message to .envoy. Object to Post

I wouldn't bring a dog if you're not going to show in juniors, it's just not fair to the dog. Dogs practically live in crates when they're on the road. Pottied in the morning, afternoon, then probably before you eat dinner and then once more before bed. That's it. When they get out to be shown, that's really the only extended (sometimes not so much) period of time they have out of their crates so a dog that isn't being shown just has that much more time spent sitting in a crate. It's just not a fair life.

And honestly if I were a handler I'd be even more skeptical of letting an assistant bring a dog if they weren't showing it. As said before, your dog will be taking up a potential client dog spot - so basically the handler could be losing money by allowing you to bring a dog. It's one thing if you're going to show your dog but it's probably really not worth it for the handler if you're just going to bring a dog to sit in a crate. If you're so set on having your dog with you, maybe this isn't the career you really want.

Again, I'm not trying to me mean or crush your spirits, but it is what it is. I've done this for years and it takes so much time to work your way up. As Lumen said, she met handlers at the shows, or gas stations and honestly that's what most handlers try to do with brand new assistants. They usually try to get a feel for how they're going to work out before they start travelling with them. This was at least my experience. However if you have lasting good first impressions, that period should move along quickly.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/25/2014 10:23:50 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I agree with many of the recent comments.

I would feel much better with your plans if they did not include a live-in situation however you arranged it - at least until you have had a chance to get to know this person WELL.

Leave your dogs at home where they are in a familiar, comfortable situation if they are not going to be shown.

The idea of getting a job in a kennel or grooming establishment instead of McDonalds sounds excellent although I'm not sure of the relative pay rates.

Best wishes and good luck with your career goals.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2014 5:14:00 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I see what you're saying. The 2 ladies I talked to said they don't have a problem with it. The only reason I want to take her is because I know she if I left her and would not be happy. Last time I left her for 4 days she starved herself and layed on my bed all day under my pillows.

Also, one lady said I should stop worrying about everything so much and just see how things go at the show if I meet her. I can tell all these handlers are getting annoyed by me so Im just going to lay in the cracks for now.

Replies in this thread : 24
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.