Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Experience in losing dogs in dog packs?
 sscressa11
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/30/2014 11:43:44 PM reply with quote send message to sscressa11 Object to Post   

So I realize this is a depressing question. My girl is getting older and hitting double digits soon. While I hope she lives to a nice old age you never know... sad :( Some of her half siblings have passed at 12. Her mom lived to 14. I have a younger boy going on 2. I was hoping to once my girl goes to the rainbow bridge of sticking to just one dog. Just curious if you have done it. What is it like? How long does it take for the other dog to adjust to being the only dog? Do they mourn? Anything you can do to help the younger dog? Haha i realize this is a really morbid questions and tbh I will be devastated when she pass. She is why I don't think I will be handle another dog for a bit.
 sscressa11
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2014 11:47:50 PM reply with quote send message to sscressa11 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

She has started slowing down a little. Having a harder time keeping up biking. Not able to catch the frisbee like she used to. She is still full of sass and has that spunk/spark. Which is why it kind of took me by surprise to realize she is getting older and that smack in the face realizing her time is limited.

Eta: my boy does adore his big sister too.

-----
Last edited by sscressa11 on 9/30/2014 11:53:01 PM
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/1/2014 6:45:56 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

My experience is a little different, but I will share.
I had 3 dogs when I lost my first one, dropping down to two. He was only 9 and in great shape when he started having seizures- he was diagnosed with an insulinoma and I lost him within 6 weeks of the first symptom.
I had him PTS at home, allowing the other two to see his body, I'm certain they knew what happened. The two dogs I had at home still definitely mourned him, Lacey, my female, would go upstairs to wake him up as usual a few times and I could just sense that they were a little 'off' for a bit. I really think having two allowed them to cope together, and my female bonded even more to my second male, they're inseparable today. I'm back up to 3 again, so I've never dropped to a single dog. I'm sure yours will mourn and be sad, but I'm also sure they will recoup and move on.
I hope you still have many years left with your girl happy :)
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/1/2014 7:35:56 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I grew up with Great Danes. We rescued our first guy at 5 months old and when he was 5 and a half, we rescued a 12 week old puppy. The only times she was without him was when she got spayed - they kept her overnight, standard practice there - and then in the end when he took a few trips to the emergency vet.

My parents put Charly to sleep at the emergency vet three and a half years ago. Yes, Lola mourned the loss of Charly, but my dad helped Lola mourn, just as she helped dad mourn, the loss of Charly. Once she was done grieving, she wasn't on edge anymore, whereas before she couldn't relax because she was always trying to make sure Charly had enough room. His back end stated going out, but mentally he was still 100% coherent.

Mom and dad did not get another dog, and after Lola, will not get another dog. I believe what helped Lola get through the mourning process was being allowed to grieve for a few days, but also sticking to the same routine.

Enjoy your girl! happy :)
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
10/1/2014 9:13:06 AM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Unfortunately I have lost a few over the years. Not only have my dogs mourned pack members, they have also mourned for the loss of some of the cats too. I too have found it helps them to see the body of the passed animal. Yes they still mourn, but I found they didn't seem to be searching or waiting for their lost pack member to come home. I learned the importance of this for them when my original breeder lost her old girl. She passed in her sleep at home, and the breeder told me about how every other dog took a turn to go over and very cautiously, respectfully if you will, check her out.

Only once have I gone down to one dog. I lost my two old girls (12 and13) 3 months apart ( mother and daughter). This left my young male ( not quit 2, Connor) alone. He was an only dog for a year before we added Kenna to the pack. Dogs do adjust, the important to be aware of is that your dog no longer has that constant company and you (and your family) are the ones who will need to fill the void. Every dog will be different, but Connor needed more time with me. We took more walks and I would sometimes sit outside while he was In the yard (as he wasn't used to being outside by himself) . I made more of an effort to play in the yard with him, as he didn't have the others to follow around, He did great and I felt the time as an only dog really helped him grow and mature.

On a side note, I had one dog mourn the loss of a friends cat (she said even her own dogs didn't mourn her). My dog used to run into her house and the first thing she would do is look for the cat to give it a kiss. After the cat had passed, we went for a visit, and my girl spent the first hour hunting for this cat. My friend even asked what my dog was doing, I told her " she is looking for you'r cat".

krisk
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/1/2014 12:31:21 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I can’t really add anything to what the others have said except my own experiences.

Yes, they do grieve whether they have been allowed to visit the body or not. My current dog, who is 15.5 now, grieved for my mother for close to a year. He was an only dog at the time from a “split pack” in that he was mine and lived separately but spent the day at “Gramma’s Doggy Daycare” with my parents and their dog while I worked. In addition we had just lost Mum’s dog a year or so earlier.

He did have a chance to see Mandy, although since Mum and Dad too now, both passed in the hospital, that was not possible. The grieving took different forms – yes, it included some looking for but also less obvious signs of distress and I mention it just so you are prepared for the possibility – he started peeing in the house during the day at “daycare” but was fine at home. He was mildly chastised and we mopped up without making too big a deal of it and over time this issue faded. I do think that when the other person/dog/cat disappears suddenly and never comes back it is harder for them to adjust, they don’t know why.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class