Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Breeding Starter Dogs
 Midway Mutts
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/1/2014 8:43:47 AM reply with quote send message to Midway Mutts Object to Post   

I don't have show dogs irl but always wanted to own a Saluki so I think I'll love this game. The problem is there were no Breeders offering Saluki's so I got starter dogs. Their quality is low so I bred to them to the best studs I could find. If I'm careful raising the pups and breed the females to more great studs can my starter line eventually be of any decent quality?
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/1/2014 11:00:35 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

First off, welcome!

Source dogs will take a while to get show quality pups. If you want to start showing now, I would go through the list of top kennels and let them know you are just starting in the game and would like to have Salukis, and see if they will sell you pups or older dogs. happy :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/1/2014 11:29:33 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Yes, I second Treestand's comments.

Sales in some breeds are dismal so often breeders will just ForeverHome (FH) all their surplus so there are rarely any officially for sale. Most breeders are quite happy to get someone new started.

Welcome and good luck.

By the way, I have some books I bought for naming Arabian horses for ShowHorse, if you want some ideas for really cool names.

"Boukra" is tomorrow, perfect for a source project - maybe not much to look at today but, tomorrow . . .

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 10/1/2014 11:34:43 AM
 Midway Mutts
Basic User

Basic User
10/1/2014 1:29:46 PM reply with quote send message to Midway Mutts Object to Post

Thank you for the name suggestions, I would appreciate any of them you have to offer! I'm usually very creative with names but Arabian names sound very elegant for an elegant dog.
I will petition the established breeders, have already begun, just no replies so far.
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/2/2014 11:58:50 AM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

Yes, it will take a while, but its still definitely possible. And I agree with the others here. If someone new is starting my breed, I bend over backwards to give them nice dogs so they do well off the bat and keep interest.
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
10/2/2014 12:27:03 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Breeding up to showable from starter stock can take a year to a few years or longer depending on the breed and your breeding strategy. Particularly if you are new, I'd recommend trying to find some current stock, or it will be quite some time before you have something show.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/2/2014 3:42:25 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Here's a resource for Arabian names you might find useful:

www.pyramidarabians.com/names/a-h.html

Midway Mutts
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2014 8:46:18 AM reply with quote send message to Midway Mutts Object to Post

I have messaged every Saluki breeder with studs available and after a week no response. This doesn't bother me so much, just tells me there is need on the game for a new, very active, Saluki enthusiast!
Even though my dogs are not "quality" I am entering the highest ones in some shows and getting a couple points here and there. Does this mess up the other players showing or is it ok to enter inferior dogs a lot for points and experience?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/4/2014 11:25:35 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I wouldn't worry about "messing" up other players by winning points. Yes the goal is to breed better dogs but you work with what you have. If there is little competition, and you get the points, you're the best one that day.

(A hint - the Scott Person show - you might add handlers and maybe pick up more points . . .)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2014 2:43:25 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

posted by Midway Mutts
Even though my dogs are not "quality" I am entering the highest ones in some shows and getting a couple points here and there. Does this mess up the other players showing or is it ok to enter inferior dogs a lot for points and experience?
So glad to hear you''re not discouraged!

It shouldn't effect other breeders at all, unless you're entering SO many that you drastically alter next month's point schedule- the quality of your dogs is so low that they may even be thankful, as it's easy for them to use your dogs for easy points for themselves.

A tip for your starter breeding- if it's not on, turn on "old ratings" under Account Settings. Current gen dogs are so good that current ratings are sort of zoomed in to view their stats under a microscope- which means starter dogs look uniformly bad when viewed this way. "Old Stats" zooms you back out so you can see the nuances in your starter dogs- their traits should have a bit more variety under that lens than is visible to you now. happy :)
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2014 3:16:24 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

posted by Midway Mutts
I have messaged every Saluki breeder with studs available and after a week no response. This doesn't bother me so much, just tells me there is need on the game for a new, very active, Saluki enthusiast!

If people aren't reading their messages, which is also a possibility, you can also make an offer on any dog that hasnt specifically had offers turned off. If it was me, I would go through my breed directory for a day or two, look for someone who was logging on regularly and make an higher-than-the-usual-offer (which for most breeds seems to be $100) on a mid-level bitch - not their best, but not their worst, unsessioned, unshown and maybe another week or two until ready to breed. I'd offer like $300 if you can afford it. I know that if someone offered me $300 for a random, middle of the pack breeding bitch too young to breed anyway, I'd jump on that. Or at least message back and offer another one in it's place. Putting your money where your mouth is shows you're serious. I dont know how active their forum is, but you can also try posting there. I know my breed's forum is pretty active and thats the best way to get most of our attention's. Good luck!
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2014 3:17:30 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

posted by Gypsy Wind Kennels
posted by Midway Mutts

If people aren't reading their messages, which is also a possibility, you can also make an offer on any dog that hasnt specifically had offers turned off. If it was me, I would go through my breed directory for a day or two, look for someone who was logging on regularly and make an higher-than-the-usual-offer (which for most breeds seems to be $100) on a mid-level bitch - not their best, but not their worst, unsessioned, unshown and maybe another week or two until ready to breed. I'd offer like $300 if you can afford it. I know that if someone offered me $300 for a random, middle of the pack breeding bitch too young to breed anyway, I'd jump on that. Or at least message back and offer another one in it's place. Putting your money where your mouth is shows you're serious. I dont know how active their forum is, but you can also try posting there. I know my breed's forum is pretty active and thats the best way to get most of our attention's. Good luck!

Especially look for someone logging on actively who is at, or over, the 30 dog limit. Theyd probably rather make some $$ then go over limit and risk the dog crawler.
 Midway Mutts
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2014 5:03:21 PM reply with quote send message to Midway Mutts Object to Post

You guys are awesome! So much good information and it will take me some poking around. I didn't know about the breed forums, was afraid to send offers on un-advertised dogs as I know that is considered rude on some games. I am shocked at the low pricing, I certainly would have gone closer to real life in expectation of what to offer and it sounds like that would have been a huge waste of funds! I will find this forum for Saluki people get busy with it!
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2014 10:31:59 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

www.showdog.com/forum/forum.aspx?forumid=203

Looks kinda deadish, but someone posted on it in August and got a reply. And to find it in the future, on the left hand side, go to forums and just scroll down until you get to the "hound" group, and the Saluki forum is under that category
 Midway Mutts
Basic User

Basic User
10/6/2014 3:58:45 PM reply with quote send message to Midway Mutts Object to Post

I have the worst luck. I had success and found some breeders but one that I put offers on 2 dogs turned me down flat, even though they had offers turned on. When I apologized for my unwelcome offers they really snapped, said they were going to report me for making unwanted offers on dogs that aren't for sale! It's water off a ducks wing to me but it made me grin that as usual people get awfully passionate about their games!
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/6/2014 8:22:05 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

posted by Midway Mutts
I have the worst luck. I had success and found some breeders but one that I put offers on 2 dogs turned me down flat, even though they had offers turned on. When I apologized for my unwelcome offers they really snapped, said they were going to report me for making unwanted offers on dogs that aren't for sale! It's water off a ducks wing to me but it made me grin that as usual people get awfully passionate about their games!
Given how hard it is to sell dogs in most of the breeds these days, they should be flattered. You dont want offers, turn em off. I dont understand that attitude at all. Like I said, when someone new joins my breed, I bend over backwards to try to help them stay, generally the more people actively breeding and showing, the healthier the breed is. I know you really wanna be running with Salukis, but if you get desperate, come on over to Keeshonds. We're a friendly bunch with an active forum, our dogs are taking BiGs and I can speak for all of us when I say we would help you get started.
 Midway Mutts
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2014 9:21:00 AM reply with quote send message to Midway Mutts Object to Post

Thank you so much Gypsy Wind Kennels for all your advice and the idea of taking on Keeshonds. I'm a bit OCD, I have to MASTER the Saluki market first, then if I go to another breed I will have to focus in 120% on that one. I already have my desk filled with paperwork on Salukis, real and virtual and had to get up at 3am to check up on some coloration information that I was unsure of. I also have learned of the need for source dogs and new bloodlines and it looks like Saluki's really need it so I'm going to make a mountain out of this molehill then go attack my next windmill!
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2014 9:59:00 AM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

Good for you. happy :) Let me know if you need any further help, no matter what breed.

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.