Search

.com Forum · American Cocker Spaniel

Replies in this thread : 1

Author Topic : trait preference and breeding
 Willow Buff
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/3/2014 7:40:46 PM reply with quote send message to Willow Buff Object to Post   

In this kennel, when I choose a match for my dogs I consider color first. Then I decide what the bitch needs most before choosing a sire,although,sop seems to make a huge a difference. Say your bitch has a low gait, but the dog in your kennel with best gait has the lowest sop. Gaits definitely improve overall but sop goes down.So sometimes I just breed for sop and color, just so I can get something to show. Then after several generations, the entire kennel has low gaits. Just wondering about some of you others, will you breed down sop to improve a trait?
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2014 3:46:18 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

I have done this in some of my other kennels before. For instance in Anatolians I found a stud in an abandoned kennel and he had a great Head trait (10.0 I think it was) but low SOP, so I bred him to every single one of my bitches - and then kept the pups that had good head and worked hard to lock that 10.0H in - so now I have a whole heap of 10.2, 10.0 and 9.8 in head etc. Then you just start breeding those ones with dogs that have a high SOP and good traits across the board to join the two projects together as per say.

Replies in this thread : 1

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.