Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Advice for adding a 2nd dog to the family? :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/7/2014 5:28:57 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post   

For those who don't know me I've been playing SD for nearly 8 years (mainly from my Rijbakluva and Dalkeith kennels).

I currently share my life with a gorgeous 13 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback, Tonks. I researched the breed for 8 years before getting my first RR happy :)

I have been thinking of getting him a brother recently and I just got word from his breeder that they have done a repeat mating with Tonks' parents and the litter will be born late November and will be 8 weeks in late January 2015.

All my life I have only ever had 1 dog at a time (growing up at my parents place). So it's a relatively new experience for me (although my housemates do have a Heeler so I'm used to having 2 dogs in the house, just never owned 2 dogs at the same time myself).

Tonks is crate trained and sleeps in there every night which he has done since 8 weeks old and loves his big bed. He is also used to sharing his crate with other dogs during the day as he seems to seek out my housemates dog to sleep with during the day if there isn't anything else interesting to do.

I'll be purchasing a second crate for the new pup to sleep in. I will also be walking the two dogs separately for the first few months to allow me to train the new pup in leash etiquette and manners.

I'm aware that I'll need to ensure that Tonks still gets his 'alone' time with me so he doesn't feel 'put out' by the attention the new pup is getting. I also know that I'll need to get both dogs used to having some 'quiet' time on their own so they don't get too attached (which I fear will lead to separation anxiety).

Tonks comes to work with me once a week (vet nurse) and is very well-behaved and sleeps the whole day on his luxurious dog bed, so I plan on doing this with the new pup on a separate day to get him used to it as well.

With the addition of the new pup it will mean we will have 3 dogs in the yard when we're out so I understand the dynamics of that.

is there anything else that I haven't mentioned that might be useful to know when adding another pup to the family or any tid-bits of advice you can give me?

Muchly appreciated happy :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2014 5:33:14 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

And just for the cuteness measure - here is Tonks at 8 weeks old:

And at 12 months old:

Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2014 6:43:10 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

What a handsome boy happy :)
Adding a second dog is relatively easy, at least it has been for me each time I've added a new dog. The older ones help to teach them the rules but will also teach them bad habits!
How/where do you currently feed Tonks? Personally, I feed all my dogs in their crates - no issues of aggression can ever happen and I can guarantee who is eating and how much. I know several people feed their dogs loose, I just feel that method is not for me.
Will you put the crates side by side? across from each other? Be careful putting them exactly side by side, especially when the pup is young - more reasons for them to stick their paws, jaws, etc through the bars to try and reach the other dog (and his food or blanket!)
It would be exciting to have siblings from a repeat breeding happy :) Will you be getting another male or a female?
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2014 6:20:15 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

(Posting from one of my other accounts)

At the moment Tonks gets fed in his crate as we do have my housemates dog in the house too. (And Tonks is a big foodie!)

So feeding in crates will be an easy thing for us happy :)

The crates (due to space available) will probably be placed at opposite ends of the dining room with the kitchen table in between them as that's the only space we will have available for it.

Yeah I'm really excited that they will be litter brothers spaced apart. It means that I will have a pretty good idea on the new pups temperament and build etc.

I will be getting another male - as I have only ever owned male dogs before, and I personally prefer the boys temperaments over the girls. Male RR's tend to be very goofy, friendly, social, chilled, laid back etc. Female RR's seem to be a lot more reserved and quiet and shy and don't take to strangers as well as what the boys do. Tonks LOVES everybody even people he's never met before and is the most laid back dog I've met happy :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/9/2014 11:53:04 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

We had a male cocker I was showing and we added a second male, 8 weeks when #1 was about 3 years.

Joey (#1) was known to be generally a fantastic uncle dog to puppies and all went well until junior (Radar, #2) got to be about 6 months and decided he would challenge Joey for the #1 spot. He was always the instigator! It usually started with a “she’s my human” situation or over a toy, chewie etc. Anyway, we spent several months with both dragging leads around the house for easier and safer intervention.

After a while I got to the point where I just shooed them outside – you wanna fight, do it outside.

Strangly, or maybe not, no one ever actually got bit, except us, and one other occasion when Radar caught the edge of Joey’s ear. Bled like the dickens and of course he shook his head and it was spattered all over the place. Joey always had this odd little flap of skin on his ear from then on.

In spite of the battles, they were very close. Joey was Radar’s “muscle”. Radar was quite refined and lightly built, while Joey was of a sturdier physique and very laid back personality.

Here they are. Joey is the red, Radar the black & tan. The black puppy is Lisa who I got after we lost Joey.

While we crated puppies at night and Radar until the hostilities eased our dogs have generally not been confined in the house.

Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
10/10/2014 7:32:17 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

Thank you for sharing your story happy :)

Were both of your boys intact/entire? (I'm assuming they were if they were show dogs).

Testosterone certainly has a big impact on social structure and compatibility

My current boy Tonks is castrated and the new pup will also be castrated at the appropriate age

Basic User

Basic User
10/10/2014 10:38:01 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Even if all the dogs are altered the "pack" mentality will still be there. The new puppy coming in will be "low man on the pole". To maintain stability in the "pack" (which includes all humans) he should be fed last , including treats, greeted last, etc. If he is bugging the older dogs they will probably let him know but you may also have to back them up.
Some dogs can be incredibly patient with pups and let them get away with everything.
I gave a puppy to a friend and she introduced Lucy to her Am Staff as told her she was a "baby". Well Taz took her literally and decided Lucy was "her" baby and doG help the other dogs if they looked cross ways at the bratty pug puppy. Lucy would steal their food, hang on the Border Collies tail and chase the Rottie and if they tried to discipline her Taz would get up and stare at them. Lucy would even take food right out of Taz's mouth. This went on for over 8 years. I think Taz was waiting for the "baby to grow up. lol
 sngpugs
Basic User

Basic User
10/10/2014 10:40:24 AM reply with quote send message to sngpugs Object to Post

posted by
Even if all the dogs are altered the "pack" mentality will still be there. The new puppy coming in will be "low man on the pole". To maintain stability in the "pack" (which includes all humans) he should be fed last , including treats, greeted last, etc. If he is bugging the older dogs they will probably let him know but you may also have to back them up.
Some dogs can be incredibly patient with pups and let them get away with everything.
I gave a puppy to a friend and she introduced Lucy to her Am Staff as told her she was a "baby". Well Taz took her literally and decided Lucy was "her" baby and doG help the other dogs if they looked cross ways at the bratty pug puppy. Lucy would steal their food, hang on the Border Collies tail and chase the Rottie and if they tried to discipline her Taz would get up and stare at them. Lucy would even take food right out of Taz's mouth. This went on for over 8 years. I think Taz was waiting for the "baby to grow up. lol

sigh. I timed out.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/11/2014 10:57:59 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Yep, both intact in the photo. Both completed their CKC Championships. Joey was my first showdog.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.