Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 35
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : I need some help....dog breeds...
 Nephesh
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/11/2014 6:12:23 PM reply with quote send message to Nephesh Object to Post   

Hey guys!!

I find myself in need of some help. I'm thinking about adding a big dog to my family of fur, but I'm having trouble deciding what breed.

Here are my requirements:

1) must be large enough to run...I'm not talking marathon length, but several miles a week (think 2-3 miles every other day)

2) MUST be trustworthy with small(like 10-15lbs) dogs. Not meaning being left alone all the time with them, but can hang around the house with small furry dogs without having to worry about prey drive kicking in and chomp...

3) Must be decent with kids...and kids' friends...while my kids know dogs, their friends don't always. While their friends are monitored while they're at our house, I still don't want anything that can be "snappy"

4) Coat: Couldn't care less. I have shih-tzus that I show and keep in full coat, so I can handle hair

5)Happy!! I like happy dogs. I don't want a stand-offish dog, I don't want a shy dog. I want a dog that is okay to cuddle. At that same time, I want a dog who isn't needy, and could handle being in a good size indoor/outdoor kennel run a decent amount of time.

So far I'm looking at Springers, Goldens, and Std Poodles...any other suggestions?
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
10/11/2014 9:00:04 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

yellow or black lab
 Sun Dale
Basic User

Basic User
10/11/2014 9:39:33 PM reply with quote send message to Sun Dale Object to Post

A boxer would be good.

You wouldn't need a very big dog. My dog is 35 pounds and when she was younger, I used to take her for run almost every day. Sometimes twice a day. We usually did 2-3 miles in one day. Sometimes we did 4 miles. One day we ended up doing 6 miles and she still wasn't tired. Usually we would be going about 10-12 mph, with a few spurts of up to 16. I was on a bike and she ran besides.
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
10/11/2014 10:04:29 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

I think so many different breeds fit the criteria here- do you have more criteria to throw at us and narrow it down?

I think JRTs are Rat Terriers or ACDs could easily keep up with you running, or do you not want smaller dogs?

Most of the sporting or working or herding groups would seem to be possibilities as well... even a hound or two, what do you want trainability wise etc etc?

posted by Tizzy Too
yellow or black lab
I think any color Labrador would work...
 Wild Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/12/2014 12:50:07 AM reply with quote send message to Wild Wind Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I would be careful in considering a Boxer with how active you are. They are awesome, fun dogs, who need quite a bit of exercise, but with high amounts of exercise you run the risk of exacerbating cardiomyopathy (a genetic defect that can lead to fainting or sudden cardiac death) in a boxer that has the condition.

However, there are health issues in all breeds. Goldens and labs you may have hip/joint issues, etc. Good luck!

-----
Last edited by Wild Wind Kennels on 10/12/2014 12:51:03 AM
 Whovian Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/12/2014 9:53:42 AM reply with quote send message to Whovian Kennels Object to Post

Thanks for the replies guys!!

I guess if i want to narrow it down a bit more:

I do want to show the dog. I may have some interest in attempting to learn about a second breed as my kids are getting older and I have a little more free time on my hands.

My hubby likes big dogs, he's put up with my small fluff balls for long enough, so I'm thinking border collie size or bigger.

Ideally the dog would also be able to excell at Agility (but NO BORDER COLLIES, they are great dogs, but not for my house hold!!) This is why Goldens and Springers fit the bill

I'm not really crazy about any of the hound breeds, at least not for what we're looking for. The exception being Rhodesians, but I worry a bit about the prey drive there with my small fluff balls.

I guess my next solid criterion should be:

6) BC size or bigger
7) "easily" trainable by the whole family
8) I like flashy dogs... meaning, if I were to choose between a Golden or a Toller, I would choose Golden...because they're flashier to me
9) I want to be able to show it (so, labs are off the list because I would worry about running a show lab 2-3 miles a day)
 GraceInGlory
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/12/2014 10:31:50 AM reply with quote send message to GraceInGlory Object to Post

I agree with you on Goldens and Springers, but since you're looking for other suggestions...

How about a Rough Collie? They are large sized, very flashy, and all the ones I've known are excellent (playful but gentle) with kids and other dogs.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/12/2014 12:07:49 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

Aussies might be a good fit.
My boxers are not hyperactive either, they enjoy running and playing but are happy to hang around the house most of the day. Some boxers do have a higher prey drive though.
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/12/2014 1:33:18 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

A pointer might be a good fit. Mine has run up to 10 miles with me (the exceptional long run that he's run with me), but my average runs with him are 3 miles/day. He's grown up as an only dog, but he gets along great with my parents' dogs (a rat terrier, dachshund, and a terrier mix). He's a big goofball...a very lighthearted dog. I do not have kids, but he has been around them with me supervising. Generally, he's less interested in the kid than he is in his surroundings.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/12/2014 1:35:22 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

Brittanys might be a good choice for you, active but not over the top. In most areas of the country you can find points.
I would also think of springers. I think tollers would be a great choice!
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2014 8:06:09 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Any retriever would work: Golden, Lab, Toller, Poodle, PWD, etc...

But if you want to show, you might want to veer towards the less common ones (Goldens, Labs & Poodles tend to be extremely competitive), also depending on the venue you show in Goldens & Labs may both be typically shown in morbidly obese condition which is bad for the dog and very bad for agility & jogging.

The calmer herding dogs would fit as well: Collies, OES, Belgian Tervuren, even an Aussie Shepherd.

I would also suggest a Dalmatian, they are happy runners and reasonably trainable. Plus not much prey drive since they have be working around horses for the most of their history. All the ones I have met were good with kids too (went to an agility competition hosted by the local Dalmatian club).

Of the working group most either are often too boistrous for small dogs or are too big and heavy to excel at agility. My little papillon has had to dodge a few Boxers galloping straight at her to play.

grif,

-----
Last edited by griffin on 10/13/2014 8:12:16 AM

-----
Last edited by griffin on 10/13/2014 8:12:41 AM
 sngpugs
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2014 9:45:59 AM reply with quote send message to sngpugs Object to Post

I would have to second GraceinGlory.
A Rough Collie fits your criteria perfectly.
Mine was brought up with Pugs and cats and herded my daughter and her friends whenever she got the chance. She was the gentlest, sweetest dog who was used shamelessly by the Pugs as their "fall guy", picked on and abused by the cats, and sat for hours to be dressed up.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/13/2014 11:54:58 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

posted by Whovian Kennels
Thanks for the replies guys!!

I guess if i want to narrow it down a bit more:

I do want to show the dog. I may have some interest in attempting to learn about a second breed as my kids are getting older and I have a little more free time on my hands.

My hubby likes big dogs, he's put up with my small fluff balls for long enough, so I'm thinking border collie size or bigger.

Ideally the dog would also be able to excell at Agility (but NO BORDER COLLIES, they are great dogs, but not for my house hold!!) This is why Goldens and Springers fit the bill

I'm not really crazy about any of the hound breeds, at least not for what we're looking for. The exception being Rhodesians, but I worry a bit about the prey drive there with my small fluff balls.

I guess my next solid criterion should be:

6) BC size or bigger
7) "easily" trainable by the whole family
8) I like flashy dogs... meaning, if I were to choose between a Golden or a Toller, I would choose Golden...because they're flashier to me
9) I want to be able to show it (so, labs are off the list because I would worry about running a show lab 2-3 miles a day)

I was really shocked that anyone should say that about a labrador!! I know I am in a different country, and perhaps your labs are different (the American version of a German Shepherd certainly is!!) but my lab (and she is a well bred show dog) has amazed me with her stamina and agility. She is extremely sound and can keep up no problem with working line German Shepherds, in fact can occasionally out jump them!
Are labs over there really at a stage where they can't run 3 miles???

-----
Last edited by chocolateteapot on 10/13/2014 11:59:26 AM
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2014 2:54:05 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

agree with chocolate teapot!!
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2014 3:21:26 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Here are some European Lab/Golden breeders so you can judge for yourself (note: I did not pick these out deliberately I just googled "UK/EU show labradors" and took the top results)

www.labradorgolden.gr/en/labrador-females
www.oakhouselabradors.co.uk/index.php/labrador-show-dogs
www.llanstinanlabradors.co.uk/the-girls
www.amazingfaithful-labradors.at/retired-luna-wave-lab-eternal-flame/
www.ofbrownbankcottage.be/

more breeders can be found here: www.europeanlabradorbreeders.com/?page_id=406

grif,
 Slipping Shadows
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2014 5:09:06 PM reply with quote send message to Slipping Shadows Object to Post

As an owner and exhibitor, I'm not sure I'd put Belgian Tervurens on a "calmer herding breed" list happy :) Plus they are supposed to be suspicious of strangers. I'm sure some show lines of any breed with this trait are different, but...
(Of my two Mini American Shepherds, which are too small for what you're looking for anyway,one is reserved with strangers at home (not scared or shy, think suspicious) but does excellent at shows or on walks. She just won't run up and merrily greet a stranger. She IS very happy, affectionate, and devoted however. The other is over the top friendly and happy. Very bubbly. Actually too bubbly for MY tastes lol)

Back on topic, I think many sporting breeds would be more up your ally, like the springers or the Brittany.
 Lucifurz
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2014 1:32:54 AM reply with quote send message to Lucifurz Object to Post

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

I wanted to point out that IMO chocolate labs are more...neurotic than blacks/yellows.

That's just based on my personal experience, but they are also harder to finish in the show ring.

Aaaaaand not all labs have a hard time running a marathon, they're not all piggadors (they should be able to effectively retrieve game in a timely manner)

An example of my girl below.

-----
Last edited by Lucifurz on 10/14/2014 1:38:55 AM
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2014 4:11:56 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

I've heard the theories on color and temperament- and don't believe it. Seems color/temperament theories run in a lot of breeds. I've met plenty of laid back chocolates and plenty of neurotic yellows and blacks- more so actually. it really comes down to the lines behind the dog over anything to do with it's color.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/14/2014 1:18:00 PM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

Lilliput is exactly right. I could generalise that most of the black labs I met when I was researching the breed were far too nervous to have anywhere near the correct lab temperament - but on looking at the pedigrees it was obvious what lines that was coming from - and no connection with the colour black in itself.
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2014 9:45:06 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Soo....if you're looking to be able to show it, do you care if you show/finish the dog yourself or would be okay with a pro handler showing/finishing it for you?

I'm not sure, but wouldn't a golden require a professional handler (or a possibly a bigger time commitment i.e. need to attend more shows to finish yourself?) to finish the dog? They seem very competitive based on the numbers entered in my area, but I have no personal experience with showing in the breed ring. Someone on here would surely know this answer though! happy :)

-----
Last edited by Super Uber Kennels on 10/14/2014 9:45:58 PM

Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2014 10:54:11 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

You are right, there is no direct correlation between the color and temperament, but as I said it is my opinion. My family has been in the breed for 35 years and in that time breeding dual purpose (bred for show and field) I have seen an 80% rise in the neurotic behavior of chocolates vs. blacks/yellows.

That is not to say that a chocolate bench dog won't be more calm than a strictly field bred black or yellow dog.

I feel like color does impact temperament and their was a recent study performed on the health and temperaments of silver labs based on their color, for example higher instances of alopecia, more allergy issues, and greater temperament issues are all related to color and color dilution.

So who's to say that color isn't directly related to temperament.

Replies in this thread : 35
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.