.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 35
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2014 10:54:52 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

I like the idea of a Brittany, they can run, do well in agility, are trainable and good with kids and other dogs, very friendly, and competition is not too stiff in the ring. They're the right size, and I think brittanys are plenty flashy.
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2014 11:01:02 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

posted by
You are right, there is no direct correlation between the color and temperament, but as I said it is my opinion. My family has been in the breed for 35 years and in that time breeding dual purpose (bred for show and field) I have seen an 80% rise in the neurotic behavior of chocolates vs. blacks/yellows.

That is not to say that a chocolate bench dog won't be more calm than a strictly field bred black or yellow dog.

I feel like color does impact temperament and their was a recent study performed on the health and temperaments of silver labs based on their color, for example higher instances of alopecia, more allergy issues, and greater temperament issues are all related to color and color dilution.

So who's to say that color isn't directly related to temperament.

I'm not sure a study of silver labs is really convincing, given that no reputable breeder deals with them, they're left to backyard breeders, who are notorious for breeding dogs with issues and poor temperaments.

Color in a sense IS related to temperament- the Belyaev foxes changed colors, gained white spotting etc as they because more domesticated, even though they were bred SOLELY on the basis of temperament. I do not, however, think it's as simple X color in the breed is crazy/hyper etc while Y color is docile- it's much more complex than that and there are a lot of old wive's tales out there too. A well-bred litter should produce dogs of relatively similar/stable temperament regardless of color.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2014 11:07:45 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

I have to agree with Lillput. Colour is vaguely related to temperament (some pigment molecules are produced in the brain but no-one know what they are doing there). But any effect is going to be small compared to other genes whose main function is in the brain as well as environmental factors.

In animals bred for speed typically neuroticism comes from excessive/easily triggered adrenaline which as far as we know has nothing to do with colour (not even produced in the brain). Other kinds of neuroticism have been partially explained by other genes (can't remember which off the top of my head) but none so far are pigment-related genes.

grif,
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/15/2014 11:25:49 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

get a pitbull.
 Lucifurz
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2014 1:30:07 PM reply with quote send message to Lucifurz Object to Post

The study of silver labs is reputable in and of itself, while the breeders may or may not be, but you are generalizing all silver lab breeders... There are those looking for an easy paycheck and those who genuinely love the color and want to see it in the standard, the latter actually do breed for health and temperament.

While currently there are no studies that directly link a specific chocolate locus to neuroses doesn't mean it's not possible, it just means no one has gone so far in Labrador retrievers to confirm it.

Either way this has turned into banter about labs when the OP has just asked about breeds, all I wanted to point out was that I, myself have seen a correlation between temperaments in chocolates vs black/yellow, when you are in specific breed divisions (field, dual, bench) in labs. Since let's face it field bred labs are about as different from bench dog as labs are from weimaraners. And it is true that chocolates are much more difficult to finish in a show

Good luck OP
 Briarmoore
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2014 1:40:38 PM reply with quote send message to Briarmoore Object to Post

Have you considered a Flatcoated Retriever? I've been showing them for a few years now and they definitely meet your criteria. I currently handle two bitches and the older one gets run up to 10 miles a week so they can definitely handle a good run. Her mother was successful in agility and working trials, and the younger one is just being started in agility as well. In terms of the show ring, they can be a very flashy breed... similar to the Golden but I would say that they're more commonly owner-handled in the States which can be a bonus. They are very trainable, great with other dogs and kids and easily one of the happiest breeds out there.
 Briarmoore
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2014 1:40:40 PM reply with quote send message to Briarmoore Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Whoops, double post!

-----
Last edited by Briarmoore on 10/16/2014 1:41:17 PM
 Cymry
Basic User

Basic User
10/28/2014 11:00:59 PM reply with quote send message to Cymry Object to Post

We have recently just added a Pembroke Welsh Corgi to our home.

1) must be large enough to run...I'm not talking marathon length, but several miles a week (think 2-3 miles every other day)

-she is about 24 pounds at 14 months. We walk about 2 miles every day (once in the morning, once at night). If she had her way, she would do it 4 times a day

2) MUST be trustworthy with small(like 10-15lbs) dogs. Not meaning being left alone all the time with them, but can hang around the house with small furry dogs without having to worry about prey drive kicking in and chomp...

-She is amazing with other dog. She loves to run and play and just wants to be friends with everyone, and has never showed a single sign of dog aggression, even when other dogs have snapped at her.

3) Must be decent with kids...and kids' friends...while my kids know dogs, their friends don't always. While their friends are monitored while they're at our house, I still don't want anything that can be "snappy"

- She is great with the children in my family. She loves to run and play fetch and tug. Since they are a herding dog, they do have the instinct, but can easily be trained to control themselves so no one gets nipped. Although she is small, she does not have the typical small dog mentality, since they are technically a medium sized dog with short legs.

4) Coat: Couldn't care less. I have shih-tzus that I show and keep in full coat, so I can handle hair

-She sheds a couple times a year, full coat. We brush her weekly, and bath her twice a month unless she is going to a show and then it is more.It is a double layered coat meant to keep of rain and snow and protect from the elements.

5)Happy!! I like happy dogs. I don't want a stand-offish dog, I don't want a shy dog. I want a dog that is okay to cuddle. At that same time, I want a dog who isn't needy, and could handle being in a good size indoor/outdoor kennel run a decent amount of time.

-She is probably the happiest dog that I have ever owned. She always wants to make you smile. She approaches every person we meet on our walks, and has never been intimidated. Right from the beginning she has been great with cars, bikes, wheelchairs, strollers, walkers etc. When we are watching tv she will climb up on the couch and fall asleep on your chest, but it also quite happy to take her toys and go entertain herself. During the nicer weather we have a large run in the backyard, as well as the yard being fully fenced, and she spends a lot of time outside. Her coat is thick enough that she can handle the cold (I live in Canada, and winter is her favourite season)
 Big Sky Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/12/2014 8:44:49 PM reply with quote send message to Big Sky Dogs Object to Post

I would highly recommend a collie, either rough or smooth. I have collies in real life, and they're gentle and patient with kids and other dogs. I'd be more worried that they are *too* tolerant and would suffer manhandling more than they should. My little shih tzu mix jumps all over my current collie and growls and gnaws on her legs and she just looks at me pleadingly. They are very versatile, and can spend the day on the couch one day and go hiking with you the next. They are good at almost everything, in my opinion! happy :)

One thing to keep in mind, is collies are very soft dogs and don't do well with harsh corrections. Their feelings are hurt quite easily, so do best using positive methods and no more than one or two repetitions because they get bored.
 Featherrun
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2014 7:59:49 PM reply with quote send message to Featherrun Object to Post

My vote,would be for you to consider a Dalmatian. They meet all of your requirements, just go through a really good breeder.
 ZooDogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2014 10:59:59 AM reply with quote send message to ZooDogs Object to Post

Have you considered a Setter? The ones I know meet your requirements, and they come in lots of flavors that would let you find something you considered flashy. English is my favorite, red belton specifically but you also have Irish, Gordon, Irish Red and White, etc..
 ZooDogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2014 11:00:05 AM reply with quote send message to ZooDogs Object to Post

Have you considered a Setter? The ones I know meet your requirements, and they come in lots of flavors that would let you find something you considered flashy. English is my favorite, red belton specifically but you also have Irish, Gordon, Irish Red and White, etc..
 ZooDogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2014 11:00:10 AM reply with quote send message to ZooDogs Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Sorry! Computer hiccupped!

-----
Last edited by ZooDogs on 12/28/2014 11:01:42 AM
 Braemor
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2014 5:00:13 AM reply with quote send message to Braemor Object to Post

I would say a collie would suit you perfectly

I live in England and I have an american type collie, he is now 18 months old

I use him for working my sheep, plus he does up to 3 hours running/walking a day

He is very calm in the house and loves to snuggle, he is fantastic with children and the breeder I got him from had two young babies who would go outside and ride the dad around and sit with him.

He is very intelligent and very flashy, I dont know how he manages to look so good even after working a day with the sheep, I would never get an english type collie, they are fat and small and have horrific amounts of useless coats and are not as strong and confident as the ones from Swiss/austrian/usa lines

I also would say to keep away from inbreeding or even line breeding, by getting a puppy wich is actually an outcross within the breed

The collies from the Wicani kennels in the UK are pretty much perfect IMO, they combine USA lines with UK and European lines and breed very much for health and strength in the dogs

This is my dog Tully, taken yesterday whilst unloading some hay from a trailer

Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/8/2015 11:57:06 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

We haven't seen much of Tully lately! Are you gonna make a post about how the little boy's doing?

Replies in this thread : 35
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.