Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : How soon after training did you first start showing?!
 legacys krasota
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/26/2014 12:39:04 PM reply with quote send message to legacys krasota Object to Post   

Hi everyone! I am currently taking confirmation class for our Borzoi Mishka and I was curious... His soon after confirmation training did you go to your first dog show?
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
10/26/2014 2:04:51 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

It's not about the training ... that helps but it's about the maturity and conformation of the dog. Some breeds don't even look like good dogs until they are 2 or 3. It's very individual ... no two dogs are alike.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
10/26/2014 6:31:57 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

it depends on your dogs age and if you feel you and your dog are ready.

I started ringcraft classes when my girl was a puppy at 12 weeks. we went most weeks and she had her first show at 6 months as this is the youngest you can entre in uk

if you dog is old enough to show and you know what your doing in the ring and your dog will stand to be gone over and walk properly (any dog should be able to do that even pets) you don't need to go to any special training before you entre shows realy. the training classes are more to teach you how to show your dog and to get it use to being gone over.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 10/26/2014 6:35:07 PM
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/27/2014 2:43:57 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

Just depends... in AKC you can enter as soon as 6 months. Once you feel your dog will behave well in the ring and you're confident in the ring procedures - give it a shot. Use that first show to see how well she does and what you need to work on. just make sure you HAVE FUN!!!

-----
Last edited by Astoria Kennel on 10/27/2014 2:44:04 PM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/27/2014 7:29:09 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

In my opinion, training is an on-going thing. You will both continue to learn long after being to your first show.

Once you have the basic skills and your dog is manageable and comfortable with the experience I'd start with matches (unofficial practise shows) and then try one or two smaller local shows if you have any. Once you both have more experience (I'm assuming you and the dog are both novices) you can look at bigger farther away (more expensive) shows.

Good luck.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 10/27/2014 7:33:56 PM
 CashmereKnl
Basic User

Basic User
11/1/2014 7:47:22 AM reply with quote send message to CashmereKnl Object to Post

Maturity is very important in Borzoi. (They are my heart breed). Do you mind me asking where you got your dog/post pictures?
 Falastin
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2015 10:45:39 AM reply with quote send message to Falastin Object to Post

I started taking my puppy to conformation classes when he was 4 months old, we did our first show at 6 months old, but he didn't really start winning until much later due to maturity. He finished around 3.5 years of age, in some ways I wished I had saved my money and waited to show him so much until he was 2!

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.