Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : F.Y.I. - Judges and Politics
 GaylanStudio4
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
11/3/2014 1:02:36 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio4 Object to Post   

There are currently 34 active judges and 5 political types
(Based on active judges as of Nov 3rd, recently retired judges excluded):

13 Not Overt (38.2%)
12 Not very political (35.3%)
05 Owner-Handler (14.7%)
03 Not political at all (8.8%)
01 Very political (2.9%)
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2014 8:40:39 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

But how many actually are what they say they are?!

Thanks for the list. the way that the overt judges is written is confusing, is it gramatacly correct? Is it just the same as not very? Or would they prefer a handler that is closer to the top of their list, by one or two points then a higher ranked handler further down the list?

Which is which?

-----
Last edited by Studio Dogs on 11/4/2014 8:41:45 AM
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2014 8:56:51 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I was always confused on this subject...
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2014 6:43:56 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

The word "overt" is an issue with me.
The definition is:done or shown openly; plainly or readily apparent. In my eyes, that means that it COULD be, but just not obvious. That's not the same as "not Political". Anyone else get that feeling?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/5/2014 11:53:55 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

The descriptions are abbreviated to fit in my spreadsheet if that's what the problem is.

Perhaps we need either an explanation in the help section or a revision in the wording.

I've had issues with these descriptions from the get-go but no one else seemed to have any issues with them (lol). 'Overt' and 'not very' have always seemed open to interpretation in my mind. They are overlapping. I've posted alternate wording before and below - probably not perfect either but I'm trying . . .

Just as a suggestion to begin:
-----------------------------------
"Judge" is very political and likes to award certain handlers.

"Judge" is somewhat political and tends to favour certain handlers.

"Judge" has a tendancy to prefer certain handlers but is not overt about it.

"Judge" is not at all political and awards highly skilled handlers with quality exhibits.

"Judge" likes to see dogs handled by their owners regardless of their skill.

-----------------------------------
Or an explanation:
------------------------
A "very political judge" requires a handler on their preferred list, the nearer to the top of that list the better.

A judge that is "not very political" will still prefer a handler on their preferred list but that handler's skill is more important than the position on the list.

A judge that is "not overt" in their politics will tend to pick handlers that are on their preferred list but . . . (what?) they are less obvious about it, very highly skilled handlers will still make an impression on this judge even if they are not on the preferred list.

A judge that is "not at all political" is not influenced by the reputation or personality of the handler but is influenced by skillfull handling. (Somewhat based on what I think it should mean although I'm not sure that is how it works. To me this should mean that the preferred list is irrelevant - if Ellen is the best handler, she is the best handler whether the judge likes her personally or not.)

--------------------------------
These are just ideas, a place to start if we want to revise this area.

(By the way, if anyone wants this spreadsheet (Excell 97-2003) I'm quite happy to send it to you. it's sortable and also includes the other various biases and the importance of traits. It's part of the revisions/updates to the Judge Evaluator that I've have been working on.)
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
11/5/2014 11:58:38 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

There wasn't a bunch of thought put into the choice of the word "overt" and if we need to change it, I'm just fine with doing it.
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2014 7:12:30 PM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

<snip>.... Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers but isn't overt in it.</snip>

I think the "but" should be removed, and replaced with "and"

so really this means

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers but isn't "shown openly" in it.

I think the "but" should be replaced with "and"

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/6/2014 11:18:06 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Ok. I've set up a poll. I've tried to put in all possible point of views. I wasn't sure if the poll would allow more than one selection and this was the best setup I could come up with at the moment.

And of course the program chose to scramble the order for some obscure reason, but anyway, there it is.

Judges and Politics - Description Changes

My thought is to first determine which descriptions are most in need of change and then to open a discussion on each.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing