Search

.com Forum · Whippet

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : Whippet Disscusion forum
 Goldenrod Whippets
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/3/2014 11:01:03 AM reply with quote send message to Goldenrod Whippets Object to Post   

I think we should all perhaps talk and connect so I thought this would be a great place to do it!
 Goldenrod Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
12/5/2014 10:44:07 AM reply with quote send message to Goldenrod Whippets Object to Post

If you breed whippets comment your kennel name and if you breed other breeds!
 Chamois
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2014 11:56:54 PM reply with quote send message to Chamois Object to Post

I'm coming back to the game - just whippets for me now.
 mabuyas
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2015 10:01:16 AM reply with quote send message to mabuyas Object to Post

good decision!!! Welcome, we need much more Whippetbreeders.
 Galena Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2015 10:09:12 PM reply with quote send message to Galena Whippets Object to Post

Not sure if anyone still keeps up with, or follows, this thread, but I am a new Whippet breeder! I have been playing SD under the kennel name Keaira (Chihuahuas) for a while now, and I also played ages and ages ago as well. I finally upgraded to a family account today, so I will be breeding Whippets in this kennel. I like to do color projects for the most part, though I will be doing some showing.

Nice to *meet* you all!
 Aspenwood Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2015 10:21:50 PM reply with quote send message to Aspenwood Kennels Object to Post

I am also a new Whippet breeder. Still just trying to get my kennel established right now, but I hope to start having some litters and sessioning some dogs soon happy :)
 SKL Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/8/2015 11:17:05 PM reply with quote send message to SKL Kennel Object to Post

I have whippets in a few of my kennels...SKL, SL, or SKYY prefix. Feel free to send me a message if you need anything...working on stats, colors, n sop.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2015 7:36:12 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

SKL what colors do you have for color breeding?

I was considering color breeding particolors in one of my other kennels - but the source dogs were very pricey! Over $1000 each! That kennel is broke, so definitely can't do that.

Is there anyone else color breeding in whippets?

We need a color breeding thread - where everyone in all breeds can post their breed's missing(or not current SOP) Coats and Colors (genes).

SL Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2015 1:34:53 PM reply with quote send message to SL Whippets Object to Post

I have dabbled in a bit of everything, for many years...with various kennel names as well.

Tip - If you are breeding for color, try to use red/fawn/sable dogs as your means of raising SOP. They will not hide your color progress... If you breed to blue/blue fawn, you might get all black/blue. Black/solid blue hide brindle. Parti is recessive, and can hide for generations. If you can find a carrier among high sop stock... that is your ticket. If you have any questions let me know...

I will be breeding this bitch in a few days, any puppies out of her will be $5... and will carry parti & possibly cream.
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13936706

This Bitch potentially carries White,
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=SKYY LowFG HHQ Line

I opened a basic that I will upgrade soon, mainly for brindle, cream, and parti. Those colors and their varieties all need work. There are some dogs in abandoned kennels, but they are not for sale...
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14006240

I will put up for sale on approval everything I do not keep from this litter. Just offer $5 on any source/source bred dogs. The male is available, as I cannot put him up for stud as a basic.
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14006240
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14006237
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14006238

Two grandsons of Red Sky at night will be up soon, and could carry parti,
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13936714
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13936748

Here are some dogs you can use to find the genes for certain colors...

Red Parti stud who might carry cream (not old enough yet), www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13936709

Carries parti,
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=Skyline Red Stud

This dog is deceased, but carried parti.. any offspring have a 50/50 chance of carrying it. There are quite a few dogs with him in their pedigrees... doubling up on that would be your best chance at a 'current SOP' parti.
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=Skyline WP Red Sky at Night
 Galena Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2015 6:54:52 PM reply with quote send message to Galena Whippets Object to Post

SL, thank you for all the info! That really helps! I have a White bitch, currently, and two particolours, so I'm excited to see what they come up with. This definitely gives me a place to start.
 SKYY Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2015 10:41:26 PM reply with quote send message to SKYY Whippets Object to Post

White is not really a color, but a lack of color.

Like Irish Marked and parti, it is technically markings (we call them extreme white) It is the most recessive of the markings, and would be useful in breeding Parti
 SKYY Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
5/9/2015 10:43:59 PM reply with quote send message to SKYY Whippets Object to Post

The markings can hide any color...breed to sable, fawn, or red to see what is under the white.
 Skyline CL
Basic User

Basic User
5/14/2015 4:36:56 PM reply with quote send message to Skyline CL Object to Post

CH MABUYAS GOLDEN PLATE carries parti!!

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.