Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Should we allow point to be awarded to dog points for their CH by winning group placements?
 Crystal Cove Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/19/2014 1:14:08 AM reply with quote send message to Crystal Cove Kennels Object to Post   

If some of the rarer breeds could earn points from placing in the group, like in real life shows, it would help displace the burden of having to have so many dogs session just to build a major. I am involved in several breeds where I am practically the only breeder so there is little chance of any competition, it's a financial strain, an issue of room in my kennel, and poor strategy to have to keep dogs in my kennel just build majors/points for competitive ones. In real life showing you can share any points earned by dogs that are beaten in the group.
For Example I have pointer who places in the group with a group 4 and is unfinished. He beats the lab who is a champion, but the lab champion lab had enough breed points to have a 3 point major in his breed for non finished labs. I would now share those points with the lab best of winners, allowing me to finish from the groups, because I beat the lab in the group.
I think I explained it right. This would be incredibly helpful in breeds w little competition but have good enough dogs to place in the groups. It would breed competition where there is little in rarer breeds and drive people (especially myself to show more often).
Should we allow point to be awarded to dog points for their CH by winning group placements?
no 28.57%
yes 71.43%
47 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 Whitegold Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/19/2014 7:04:29 AM reply with quote send message to Whitegold Kennels Object to Post

I really like this idea. I don't come from the US model of showing, but where I'm from (at least when I was showing ... other Aussie's might correct me if I'm wrong) if a dog went in group, the points available escalated.

I'm not sure how helpful this would be in my two rare breeds (Flat Coats and Sussex) as they rarely place IG, but an option to help get points on dogs would help.
 Foul Bay
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2014 1:52:20 PM reply with quote send message to Foul Bay Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

Perhaps if we did implement this, it would be easier to use the Canadian method, at least for Jeff and in coding it.
In order to for a class dog that wins breed to get points from the Group Placing, there has to be a certain amount of breeds showing in the Group. I have copied the list to show how it works. So if there were only 2 dogs showing in the breed, BOB would get 1 point, BUT the Group placing point would be ADDED to the breed point ( 1+ ? ) to a maximum of 5 point TOTAL points per show.

The point system provides for additional points if a class dog awarded Best of Breed
also places in the group as listed below;
BREEDS -GROUP -GROUP -GROUP -GROUP
COMPETING -FIRST -SECOND -THIRD -FOURTH
13 or more -- 5- 4- 3- 2
10 to 12-- 4- 3- 2- 1
6 to 9-- 3- 2- 1- 1
5-- 2- 1- 1- 1
4-- 2- 1- 1- 0
3-- 2- 1- 0- 0
2-- 1- 0- 0- 0
1-- 0- 0- 0- 0

A class dog awarded Best in Show at an all-breed Championship show will be credited with 5
points inclusive of any points earned at the breed or group level.

I had to finish my Chinese Crested from the Group back in the early 90's when they were first recognized in Canada as there were no others in BC at that time.
Anyway, just a thought for easier coding issues. happy :)

-----
Last edited by Foul Bay on 12/20/2014 1:54:57 PM

-----
Last edited by Foul Bay on 12/20/2014 1:58:49 PM
I think I finally have it semi readable. lol

-----
Last edited by Foul Bay on 12/20/2014 2:00:52 PM

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.