Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Sessioning Past 20
 Almost Heaven
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/20/2014 11:29:18 AM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post   

I have read a few places where people talk about sessioning a dog after they reach 20. Can someone explain this to me? Is 20 not really 20 or do we get almost to 21? Why do this? Thanks in advance for answering.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2014 3:10:09 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

The idea behind it is that like with the trait numbers they may be rounded up to what we see so a 20 May not realy be 20, it could be say a 19.7 rounded up to 20.
 K D And E Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2014 3:17:27 PM reply with quote send message to K D And E Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

So, for the dogs I am actively showing, should I keep doing ALL their stats after they reach 20 and if so for how long?

oops, that was me in a different kennel. lol

-----
Last edited by K D And E Kennels on 12/20/2014 3:18:00 PM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/20/2014 11:30:26 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

In my breeds at least, training is the last to hit 20. If I'm planning to show they are on 1777 (good food) and the food linked factors - coat and muscle - continue to rise on good food once they are sessioned (and fed) to 17 or 18. I will session these to 18 then stop. They will be 20's several days before the training. The theory is that the food will look after the decimals. That's my philosophy anyway (lol).
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2014 2:34:21 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by K D And E Kennels
So, for the dogs I am actively showing, should I keep doing ALL their stats after they reach 20 and if so for how long?
Last edited by K D And E Kennels on 12/20/2014 3:18:00 PM

A rule of thumb is to keep sessioning pass 20 half as long as it took to go from 19 to 20. It will depend on the food and the breed which stats you have to keep sessioning and for how long.

grif,
 Rosa Nera
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2014 3:33:15 PM reply with quote send message to Rosa Nera Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Do you think keeping a dog on 1666 while showing would bump those numbers up eventually on condition, muscle and coat? and that way I can just use 1 session per dog on obedience to top off the decimals?

Edit, seriously I really need to pay attention to which account I am in lol. This is Almost Heaven.

-----
Last edited by Rosa Nera on 12/21/2014 3:34:26 PM
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
12/24/2014 8:01:11 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

Rosa -

I find if leave my dogs on 1777 until they hit 20 on Obedience.... this makes sure the other traits are at 20.... Once the dogs hit Obed 20.... I switch them over to Pet House For Adult Dogs.

I keep sessioning obed until they win their GCh. After that they dont get sessioned. Sometimes I have one that stops winning as nicely, when this happens I will session obed for 3-4 days just to make sure it hasnt dropped or wasnt finished.

Usually after they get GCh they will not need another session.

Will

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.