Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Whelp all bitches?
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/27/2014 8:28:26 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post   

Do you find it better to whelp bitches all at once, or spread it out throughout the month?
I have theories about this along with kennel average, and time of the month. But sometimes I get thrown a curve.
Whelp all bitches?
Spread them out 70.45%
All at once 29.55%
36 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2014 9:05:04 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I like to breed 10 bitches at a time, and breed more as soon as they whelp. That way I get a big batch of litters to go threw at once so I don't have to do it every day and so I don't keep some pups then get better ones the next day and forget to fh the ones who are not as good.
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2014 9:30:36 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

What do you mean get better ones the next day? I'm not sure I follow you. You breed all at once so you can fh faster, or to get better dogs? I'm trying to find which is better to result in better dogs.
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2014 1:39:14 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

I usually just breed females as soon as they are ready unless I have a certain pairing I want to do.

Will
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/27/2014 2:07:37 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I prefer to spread them out so that I have something to go through more often but not necessarily every day and so that I don't have too many to go through. If there is too much to do I tend to put it off until I have more time and of course I never have enough time so kennels get neglected, fall behind and run out of money (lol).
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2014 2:57:49 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I, too, breed when they are ready. I like the staggered litters dropping, so there are more chances for sessions to be available. But, if girls are ready at the same time they are bred as I remember. laugh :D
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2014 6:40:04 PM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

no one has noticed a better or any thing different by breeding all together or not? that's weird.
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/29/2014 5:53:48 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

I used to breed all at once because I was basically addicted to the Breed button. Now, I try to breed one or two and then the next day breed more, so I can spread out the "delight" of having litters, rather than waiting days on end for the next one.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2014 10:15:09 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

posted by Studio Dogs
What do you mean get better ones the next day? I'm not sure I follow you. You breed all at once so you can fh faster, or to get better dogs? I'm trying to find which is better to result in better dogs.

I'm fussy with what I keep back, so if I had litters due over a couple of says say mon tues and wens, I would have to sort out Mondays lot then on Tuesday do it again, but I may have nicer pups on that day than the ones on Monday which would mean I then don't want some of the ones I didn't fh Monday but I would often forget to get rid of them.
So it's easyer to get it all sorted on the same day for me.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2014 10:12:01 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by Studio Dogs

There will be no difference in the quality of the dogs, each litter is produced independently of the others so having 10 whelp on one day is no different than having those litters whelp on 10 different days.

I prefer having them all at once so that I'm selecting keepers from a larger pool of pups thus it is easier to find the really best ones rather than keeping some mediocre ones just it case I don't get anything better in the next litter.

grif,
 Analeyn
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2015 1:49:59 AM reply with quote send message to Analeyn Object to Post

I spread litters out to reduce the stress upon my session/showing resources. I have found that many litters at once leads to an abundance of dogs needing to be sessioned all at once, which then reach show maturity at the same time. The all-at-once system meant that I had too many dogs to focus on at one time - then a lapse where I had to wait for the next litter drop.

Staggering litters allows me to stagger my sessions and entries, so that I don't have to buy extra sessions and only have 1-2 unfinished dogs in the ring at one time. I see no point in entering multiple young dogs at once - except to build points perhaps. Spreading out litters also means that my dogs finish their titles at a younger age.

Analeyn
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2015 1:57:39 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

Analeyn YES!

I know it comes in waves, some will whelp more then one showable pup = expensive. I just had this happen with my whelping today.

I tried both ways, now. I like spreading them out. and I believe, argue if you must, that the end of the month is when better litters are born.
maybe true to only our breed, though -Im a kennel stalker lol
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2015 8:24:03 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by Studio Dogs
I believe, argue if you must, that the end of the month is when better litters are born.
maybe true to only our breed, though -Im a kennel stalker lol

Nope! litters are created by an algorithm independent of the date. Any pattern you think you are seeing is due to the cognitive biases of the human mind : scientific studies have shown that the majority of people when watching a light randomly turn on & off will think they see a pattern in the flashing.

grif,
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2015 10:10:37 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

I also know what "if" and "elseif" statements are.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2015 10:40:03 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Then you have no reason to be upset if someone points out that a belief you claim to hold yet know to be false is indeed false.

grif,
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2015 8:16:01 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

Grif, It was a feeling, and just that. Just as yours is an opinion that I also appreciate, thank you.

This is why I asked the question.
The poll results are interesting, for me anyhow, if not the respones.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2015 11:40:38 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I have done both and I prefer to spread the out a bit.

I usually breed 3-4 litters at a time (if I have the bitches available) and they are usually all in my different breeds. So I will have one litter due of each breed, sometimes 2 of one breed if I have a pairing that I can't patiently wait to breed.

This makes it so I don't have multiple young dogs of the same breed, therefore not battling for points at the beginning of showing. While this doesn't reduce the amount of sessions I might have to use, it does open up my options. This way I can keep one or two from each litter if I get good pups, if I don't, then I have bitches to breed the same day the puppies drop. I prefer to see what I get before I breed again so rarely will I have a litter of one breed due Monday and a litter of the same breed due Tuesday. Usually if I have 3 litters due 3 days in a row, they are different breeds.

This seems to work best for me, and gives me the opportunity to keep my dog count low, my food bill low and my session sales alive (usually).

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.