Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Buying an Un-named pup - Which Kennel Name?
 Happy Leos
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
12/29/2014 11:28:42 PM reply with quote send message to Happy Leos Object to Post   

Hi I've just bought a 1 day old un-named pup. can I or should I use the breeders Kennel name?
I would rather use the breeders Kennel name just so I know where he came from and who bred him etc.. but is that considered rude?
Seems a bit rude to stamp my own kennels name on him as I didn't breed him..
Thanks.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2014 11:32:27 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I would just send a note to the breeder if you're worried about it. As for myself, if I sell an unnamed puppy I don't care what you name it, if I cared I'd name it before I sold it.but that's just me.
 Happy Leos
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/29/2014 11:42:45 PM reply with quote send message to Happy Leos Object to Post

Hi I've sent off a note to the breeder but they have not answered any of my messages before, so not holding my breath..
I'll give them a few days and then just name him. just thought I would see if there were any rules about it.
Thanks for your help
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2014 11:52:26 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

I name all my dogs with a name based on some variation of sire and/OR dam (example, I had a bitch born tonight to a sire named Slenderman and a dam named Overly Logical, I named the puppy Overly Slender). When I buy an unnamed puppy, I keep that convention but use the original breeder's kennel prefix. I've also seen it done as "[Original Breeders prefix] at [buyers kennel name]" (ie- Anaelyn at Gypsy Wind) or "[Buyers kennel name] from [original breender's kennel name]"(ie Gypsy Winds from Analeyn) or some variation of. I.E- "Gypsy Winds Rose of Analeyn" or "Analeyns Rose of Gypsy Wind" for examples. (Im sure Analeyn wont mind me using them as an example. happy :) )
 Happy Leos
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/30/2014 12:15:04 AM reply with quote send message to Happy Leos Object to Post

Thats perfect. thanks so much for the help.
I mostly was not sure if I was allowed to name the pup using there Kennel name.
Thank you
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2014 12:24:20 AM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

Well, i dont think theres a hard and fast, admin mandated rule against it. Every other breeder Ive seen has been flattered by it. I know technically you're not supposed to use other kennel's prefixes for your own dogs, but I think thats to keep people from stealing them to be confusing. If someone complained, Jeff might make you rename it. But I think its really highly unlikely that someone will complain. If the name mattered to them, theyd name it before it sold.
 Perdix
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2014 1:49:49 AM reply with quote send message to Perdix Object to Post

It would be really poor form to name a dog of your OWN breeding or some random source with another kennels name. ie, I buy a source dog and then name it "Gypsy Rose's Fido" I'm not Gypsy Rose, and that's NOT a dog of Gypsy Rose's breeding. Or, I buy a pup and the sire is Gypsy Rose's Ruff and the dam is Analeyn's Miss pickles, and it's bred by "ticklemeelmo3"- it's not appropriate to use either Gypsy Rose OR Analeyn's kennels prefixes on that dog because the pup, while it's pedigree contains dogs of their breeding, is NOT bred by either of them.

However, if the dog comes from their breeding program and they ARE the original breeder, it is in keeping with naming conventions to use their kennel name on that dog. Indeed, while it isn't the ONLY way to do it, I'd say it is the most common and most respectful way to.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2014 10:41:40 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I message the breeder to see their wishes. I normally get to choose if I name it with my prefix or not, but I used my prefix once when I first started and I felt like I took something from the breeder (silly, I know because the breeder said it was fine). I think it's between you and the breeder. If they don't reply, they don't mind what you do (in my mind, anyways.) laugh :D
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/30/2014 12:31:39 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Like many others, I would ask first and even tell them what you had in mind if you have something.

Very few object but you should ask before using another's kennel name.
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/31/2014 3:52:11 PM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

If I don't care about having my kennel name on the puppy, I sell it without approval. If I want my kennel name on it, I sell it with approval and name it after I have gotten an offer. I don't name them unless they are sold because I don't want to waste names. Sometimes I will ask an established kennel buyer if they have a preference and I will put both kennel names on it.
 Analeyn
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2015 12:20:35 AM reply with quote send message to Analeyn Object to Post

I would tend to say that it is a nice gesture to name a puppy using the breeder's prefix, either at the beginning or in the other ways that Gypsy Wind explained happy :) I always put the breeder's prefix first, such as a dog currently in my kennel - "Winterhearts Rose Of Analeyn"

The breeder may not mind either way, but I have always done so as a courtesy.

Analeyn
 Brizingr
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2015 3:59:21 AM reply with quote send message to Brizingr Object to Post

i just brought an un-named pup and wasnt allowed to use the other breeders prefix! i wanted to do (breeder) ....name at (my prefix) but it wuldnt accept it because it included the name of another kennel
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2015 1:24:51 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Hmm, that's odd. I was recently able to name a dog with another's prefix and then at my prefix. Was the name too long?
 Brizingr
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2015 3:19:17 PM reply with quote send message to Brizingr Object to Post

It actually never came up with a reason it was accepted? As I was typing it in it said (raratsrarrras) is available, so I hit the go button and nothing! Tried a few times and shortened it a bit but nothing went through until I dropped the other prefix, one of the first rules is that u cannot use another persons prefix in the name so I assumed this is why, interesting to read that others could!!
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2015 6:15:47 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

I think I may know why it sometimes lets you use another prefix and other times it doesn't:

There is a page in your 'My Account' section where you can 'set' your own prefix. (This also lets you know if a prefix has already been taken etc).

If a kennel hasn't actually 'set' their own prefix using this feature and are just typing it in when naming all of their dogs then another user who purchases a dog off that person can then include it in their name to honor the breeder etc.
  Absolut
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2015 6:49:02 PM reply with quote send message to  Absolut Object to Post

I've always used the breeder's prefix and then tack mine on, usually right after or at the end. I do it because I did not breed the dog.

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler