Search

.com Forum · Newfoundland

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Might rejoin the breed, what's good now?
 linlin23
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/2/2015 1:28:20 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post   

Can anybody give me an idea of how high traits/SOP need to be to be considered good? I expect it's changed quite a bit, and I'd rather not but probably will have to get rid of a lot of my stock as it's no longer competitive.
 Camp Run-Amok
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2015 3:18:15 PM reply with quote send message to Camp Run-Amok Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have a few newfies in my kennel. A GCH who was showing last month and taking group placements (and a group 1st) is 95.90. I would say anything over 96.00 could be shown. Any bitch around 96.50 with good individual stats, I would keep for breeding.

Your pup is definitely a good show prospect and most of your bitches will be good for breeding up to show quality. Studs are running around 96.4 or 96.3 so maybe have to start over on your boys.

Hope this helps, and welcome back to Newfoundlands, I keep a few in my kennel just cause I love the breed.

EDIT: Looking over your girls more closely, I see that you have already bred exactly the ones I would have recommended you keep and breed LOL The rest probably could go to loving families, save you on feed bill and make room for the wonderful pups you are going to have in about 5 days happy :)

-----
Last edited by Camp Run-Amok on 1/2/2015 3:30:02 PM
 Sun Dale
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2015 4:25:15 PM reply with quote send message to Sun Dale Object to Post

All of my dogs mostly range from 96.25-96.60. I FH any that are below 96.10. I keep them if they are at least 96.25.

I think I am ahead everyone else. So, you can probably get away with lower.

-----
Last edited by Sun Dale on 1/2/2015 4:26:43 PM
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2015 5:46:42 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

posted by Camp Run-Amok
I have a few newfies in my kennel. A GCH who was showing last month and taking group placements (and a group 1st) is 95.90. I would say anything over 96.00 could be shown. Any bitch around 96.50 with good individual stats, I would keep for breeding.

Your pup is definitely a good show prospect and most of your bitches will be good for breeding up to show quality. Studs are running around 96.4 or 96.3 so maybe have to start over on your boys.

Hope this helps, and welcome back to Newfoundlands, I keep a few in my kennel just cause I love the breed.

EDIT: Looking over your girls more closely, I see that you have already bred exactly the ones I would have recommended you keep and breed LOL The rest probably could go to loving families, save you on feed bill and make room for the wonderful pups you are going to have in about 5 days happy :)

-----
Last edited by Camp Run-Amok on 1/2/2015 3:30:02 PM

Thank you! Yeah, I wanted to keep some bitches to breed up to show quality so I don't lose the "line" (not from source but several generations) I have, although I tried to breed them to a variety of studs so I won't have inbreeding issues. I probably will forever home most, if not all, of my boys, but if I have some boys that are great matches for my bitches then I might hang on to them.

posted by Sun Dale
All of my dogs mostly range from 96.25-96.60. I FH any that are below 96.10. I keep them if they are at least 96.25.

I think I am ahead everyone else. So, you can probably get away with lower.

-----
Last edited by Sun Dale on 1/2/2015 4:26:43 PM

Thanks, the SOP has come so far since then!
 Rosa Nera
Basic User

Basic User
1/4/2015 1:57:34 AM reply with quote send message to Rosa Nera Object to Post

Any bitch around 96.50 with good individual stats, I would keep for breeding.

oops, that really should have said 95.50 lol but I think you knew what I meant.

oops again, that was me, Camp Run-Amok. I really need to pay attention to who I am logged in as.

-----
Last edited by Rosa Nera on 1/4/2015 1:58:48 AM
 Sun Dale
Basic User

Basic User
1/4/2015 11:57:14 AM reply with quote send message to Sun Dale Object to Post

posted by Rosa Nera

oops again, that was me, Camp Run-Amok. I really need to pay attention to who I am logged in as.

-----

I had wondered.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
1/4/2015 8:53:37 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

posted by Sun Dale
posted by Rosa Nera

-----

I had wondered.

Yeah, haha, I figured that was what you meant since 96.5 seemed awfully high.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
1/7/2015 10:32:17 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Can somebody give me an idea of what's good trait wise? I know that anything 9.7/9.8 is nice obviously but what about things like size and temperament? I'm FH'ing the ones that are obviously not worth keeping around but I'm going to swallow the huge food bill so I have more time to evaluate my "first" litter…any info is appreciated!
 Sun Dale
Basic User

Basic User
1/8/2015 12:00:34 AM reply with quote send message to Sun Dale Object to Post

Head-10.4 and below
Forequarter-9.0 and up
Hindquarter-9.4 and up
Gait-9.4 and up
TN&B-10.0
Coat-9.6 and up
Size-9.0 and up
Temperament-9.5 and up
Feet-10.9 and below
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
1/8/2015 8:02:02 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

posted by Sun Dale
Head-10.4 and below
Forequarter-9.0 and up
Hindquarter-9.4 and up
Gait-9.4 and up
TN&B-10.0
Coat-9.6 and up
Size-9.0 and up
Temperament-9.5 and up
Feet-10.9 and below

Thanks! I'm particularly excited about this girl www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13707105 because although her traits overall aren't particularly special, she has 9.7 hindquarters and 9.6 gait! I was also pleased to find a girl with a 9.4 forequarter www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13706923
I'm still trailing behind SOP wise but I'm very pleased with these traits!

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.