Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Something to think about? Maybe?
 mournebrake
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/11/2015 4:45:51 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post   

If the players and Admin think there are too many breeds on SD then that begs the question "should we have a two-tier system with breeds that don't get a minimum entry at at least one show per day being placed on a 'rare-breed' register" and those breeds all being channelled to one show a day to compete in AVNSC Classes with all rare breeds competing against each other. Best AVNSC and reserve Best AVNSC or BOS AVNSC could be awarded and a requisite number of Best AVNSC wins (say 10) could obtain a title for example ChRB.
Your thoughts?
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2015 12:08:44 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If I'm understanding u right (as instead of a breed class there is a av class) I wouldn't like this, as some breeds would be at a big disadvantage compeating in a class with other breeds.
I know that in vallhunds if I win the breed my dog has no chance of winning group no matter if it's the best vallhund in the game the breed just isn't as high quality as some of the breeds who have been here longer.
So If my breed had to be in a class with those higer breeds no one in my breed would be able to ever win. So people would stop showing as there be no point.

We have AVNSC in UK shows and its one of the reasons I stopped doing open shows and only do champ shows. As the AVNSC was normaly being won by the GSD and Rough Collies. So u knew if those two breeds didn't have a breed class one of them were likely to win AVNSC.

You onky need to beat 2 dogs in your breed to get a point, and 4-6 to get a major in the breeds with less numbers so finishing isn't realy a problem especially now there is the log in bonus giving people more money to show more.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 1/12/2015 12:14:20 PM
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 5:06:42 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

You ONLY need to beat 2 dogs in your breed, that's correct, but what if you are the ONLY one showing in your breed? There may be a few kennels in your breed but no one but you showing and if you are a basic with more than one breed you are on a hiding to nothing, or a basic entering all the dogs of one sex that you have in every show in order to make up a champion - sort of defeats the object of fair competition doesn't it? Oh and it costs you all your hard earned loot too to enter all the dogs you need to beat just to make up that champion.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 6:02:35 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

there are breeds where players have to stack shows so they can finish dogs yes, but lumping them in with other breeds wont help them finish either. It will doom all but the higher quality ones to rarely finish.

You would either have to try to get some others showing in your breed or only work on one breed if you chose to show an unpopular breed so you can show more than one dog if you a basic.
With the log in bonus now money is easyer to save, once you long in enough u get $50 a day which is more than enough to feed dogs and entre some cheap shows.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 1/13/2015 6:03:26 PM
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 6:44:18 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

From what I understand, I'm not keen on this idea either. I think the assortment of judges we have now makes it worthwhile for breeds to show, especially now that judges are random.

Canaan Dogs, for example, there was only one kennel showing their dogs, and they have quite a few champions in their kennel. It's a bummer, but a reality. Showdog has slowed WAAAAAAAY down, from the bustling site we remember from years ago (new kennel, old player here). You have to adapt and pick a breed or two to focus on, as PPVallhunds has said.

I currently have 4 breeds in my kennel and am dabbling in a fifth. If I was in a very slow breed, I would cut back on my number of breeds, so I could have more room to keep the slow breed's dogs. It's a bummer, but it's what we have to do for the time being. Hopefully things will pick up again and we won't have to worry about not being able to get 4 dogs in a show to make a 3 point major, but for now we just work around it. happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 4:54:52 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Well personally I think stacking your dogs to make up champions is unsportmanlike - I'm in one breed where two kennels are the breed (both owned by same person) and when I bought one of the breed no-one was showing. I've entered, been on my own for every show up until yesterday when one of the above kennels entered 5 males against my bitch, stacking the points and giving them a big major. This I wouldn't mind as a one off with no other intention other than to bring the breed to the fore but the kennels in question have messaged me prior to them entering to encourage me not to use a handler as 'the breed doesn't need handlers as so few show'. My reply was as I'm the only one showing I have a handler in the vain hope I'll get a group placing, and lo and behold the kennel stacks an entry at the last minute with 4 of one sex owner handled and the dog they want pointed handled by the handler I've engaged - good luck to them I say - it just makes the game a bit sour - I wonder now if that's why I quit all those years ago.
I think if the sim wants to encourage new players (and returning players) it needs to encourage sportsmanlike behaviour - oh and if anyone reading this 'stacks' the entries to point their dogs just stand back, look at the ethics of this, and try and work with newbies to the less well supported breeds rather than alientating them.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.