Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : adware/malware
 Soundtrack
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/13/2015 9:05:03 PM reply with quote send message to Soundtrack Object to Post   

I believe there is adware/malware coming from this site. This afternoon I clicked on the box to enter my username and immediately started getting popups like crazy. I had to use the task manager to shut down my Chrome and switched to IE, which performed fine until I came to the showdog site when the popups started happening again. I downloaded an anti-malware program which seemed to fix the problem. My husband spent most of the evening on the net with no issues. When I went online I first went to some other sites, the when I came here the popups started again. This is not an issue on my mobile device (Blackberry) only on my laptop.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
1/13/2015 9:19:10 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Has anybody else had similar issues?

Was something triggered as a warning (more detailed report) by the anti-virus software you installed?
 Soundtrack
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 9:27:15 PM reply with quote send message to Soundtrack Object to Post

My anti-virus had just expired. We now have a new one but it doesn't seem to have stopped the second infestation. The main issue popping up seems to have been something called Norton Fix, but other things were popping up as well, including two "coupon" sites.

My hubby just came in to tell me he checked the browser history and all the problems started immediately after me coming here. I had not told him that I thought this was the problem.

It's possible that anyone else having problems may not be able to log on - it renders the browser pretty much useless as you can't shut the popups down and I had to use the task manager to close the browser. I used my Blackberry to research solutions. I was actually surprised that I was able to download the anti-malware.
 Soundtrack
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 9:34:06 PM reply with quote send message to Soundtrack Object to Post

The MacAfee did find "something", but wouldn't tell me what it was without me renewing the subscription, which I was reluctant to do with the malware running.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
1/13/2015 10:09:49 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I've tried loading the site on four different computers (one of them a server, another a remote computer) with IE/FF/Chrome and haven't been able to duplicate any issues. No pop ups on any of them. No warnings on the computer running Kaspersky, the one running MalwareBytes, or a friend's running McAfee.

Regarding not being able to login, nobody has reported anything via e-mail or phone calls which would typically be the case.

I don't want to sound like I'm ignoring the issue, I'm not. I just haven't been able to find anything resembling it after about a dozen tries. If you get any more details that might help me put a finger on it, please let me know.

-----
Last edited by admin on 1/13/2015 10:13:38 PM
 Soundtrack
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 10:34:02 PM reply with quote send message to Soundtrack Object to Post

Will do, although I admit I'm sort of afraid to log in from the laptop now.

Hubby thinks that the MalwareBytes didn't get it all the first time, as some of the suspect files were still there after the first scan/removal, which may be why the new A/V didn't stop the second round? He reset all the settings on both browsers, hopefully the problem is fixed. I'm not sure, I admit I'm not a computer geek.

-----
Last edited by Soundtrack on 1/13/2015 10:37:55 PM
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 2:01:09 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

No problems on my end.

Best of luck figuring out what happened! happy :)

-----
Last edited by Treestand Kennel on 1/14/2015 2:01:21 AM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/14/2015 10:22:47 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Everything ok here too.

I run an XP desktop with McAfee, Malwarebytes(free), and Spybot(free).

I run Vista on a laptop with AVG(Paid), Malwarebytes, and Spybot.

Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 12:27:27 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I'm ok too. I have a brand new laptop with Windows 8 OP system and Norton Antivirus.

Hope it gets sorted out Soundtrack.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 3:00:24 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

OK here - laptop entering site via Firefox, running Kaspersky on windows 7
 BlackFrost
Basic User

Basic User
1/18/2015 5:49:18 PM reply with quote send message to BlackFrost Object to Post

Soundtrack, if I might offer a QA hand?

Given that no other ShowDog users are reporting this issue, and Jeff can't duplicate it on 4 different systems, standard methodology would suggest the problem originates in your system or has come from another source that has attached itself to frequently visited urls in your browser history, specifically some kind of worm virus that's attached itself to a particular set of browser behaviors on that computer.

I might be able to help, if you bear with me and forgive any questions that seem blatantly obvious. If I can start with a few basics?

1 - what is your operating system
2 - what are your firewall settings
3 - what browser(s) and version(s)
4 - what addons are installed in your browser
5 - if you're running windows, what is your last security pack update
6 - what were your last java and adobe flash updates?

7 - have you recently (just before this started) installed any other software or clicked any download links on the web? if so - did they have auto installers? did you use custom option or let it self configure?

That might help lead to determining the root problem.

Obviously feel free to ignore this if you don't want me poking my nose in happy :)

- Jet

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.