Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Source Breeding Any Pointers??
 Wind Walkers Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/16/2015 3:25:18 PM reply with quote send message to Wind Walkers Kennels Object to Post   

I have been dabbling in Showdog for a few years and have decided that I am going to become a premium member and start source breeding Bouviers. I noticed that almost all of the current winning Bouvs are Fawn and are from the same line. So my questions are as follows.

1. Is there any suggestions as to how many source dogs I should start out with?
2. Is it best to go with just source dogs (I know this will take a long time to bring my lines up) or should I breed out occasionally to the one other remaining line?
3. I want to focus on SOP and color there are no brindles that I have found, and very few grey, salt and pepper, and black is that ok too?

Any pointers would be great thanks in advance!
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/16/2015 3:43:53 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I like having 10 females on a rotating schedule so I have pups more often.

Breeding to non source studs will improve the traits slightly faster in my experience. I've done source to source though as well, in the end my dogs ended up about 50/50 source and non source bred.

-----
Last edited by Silk N Denim Terriers on 1/16/2015 3:45:37 PM
 Brittree
Basic User

Basic User
3/4/2015 2:44:38 PM reply with quote send message to Brittree Object to Post

I am doing a source bred line too, just started but I am going to try and make it truly source bred, no outside stud if possible

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.