Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Breed hunting again
 Disclosure
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/27/2015 7:57:47 AM reply with quote send message to Disclosure Object to Post   

Yep, so I am lookin for another breed. I recently left Portugese Pointers due to inactivity and honestly, I got bored. So I'm looking for something kind of upbeat.

I'm open to all suggestions but please note that I am #2 kennel in Dobermans and held #1 for almost a year. I am quite competitive so I am open to really ANY suggestions. Just no breeds with handler hogging as that seriously chaps my bum.

Anyway, let 'Em flow.

-Four
 AdvoKat
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2015 9:33:35 AM reply with quote send message to AdvoKat Object to Post

I suggest Azawakhs! We could really use you happy :)

There are two major breeders right now and a few smaller ones, so there are always dogs for sale and around 15-20 studs. Studs usually run about $25-50.

I believe our highest SOP is 91.7. >91% is very finishable.

In the past we haven't been the most sociable of groups but we are starting to communicate more.

If you're interested I can give you several good bitches and maybe even a show pup. happy :)
 Sisduh
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2015 12:39:28 PM reply with quote send message to Sisduh Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by Sisduh on 1/27/2015 12:48:30 PM
 Small Dog Grove
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2015 12:49:17 PM reply with quote send message to Small Dog Grove Object to Post

Posted from wrong kennel, oops. happy :)

Come try Keeshonds! We've got probably the most active breed forum, very freindly breeders, most nights you can find at least two majors, and we're rapidly moving up in competition rankings.

King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/27/2015 12:55:09 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

American Staffordshire terriers are really on the come up lately
 Wicked Kisses
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2015 1:07:16 PM reply with quote send message to Wicked Kisses Object to Post

I would highly suggest Bearded Collie's!

We are a super friendly and tight-knit group, and we all work closely with each other. I breed and show beardies along with sibe's so I still get the competitiveness from the sibes, and the fun from the beardies.

Our numbers are growing so it's not entirely difficult to finish a dog. We occasionally have some group placings. I believe we are around #60 on the breed list at the moment? I haven't checked in a few days. We have a forum post that we keep updated with each other. As far as handler hogging, it's not really an issue. A lot of breeders owner handle all their dogs.

Feel free to contact myself or anyone else in the breed if you are interested! You can also find our thread in the breed forum if you wanted to ask specific questions and get a lot of feedback. happy :)

Taylor
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2015 1:24:59 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

I second keeshonds. Ive been in the breed on and off for about 8 years now. We have one of the few (only perhaps) most active forums. Most studs are $50 and I dont think Ive seen a dog for sale more than $100 in a long time. We are #14 on the breed list, but that seems to be because of how much the breeders there are are showing rather than having a ton of breeders. There are at least 2 majors just about every night. A breeder sponsored specialty recently had over 30 entries! While we havent cracked the BiS barrier (yet) that I know of, we have had several 2nd in show placements, and take group regularly. Come check out our thread, and Im sure we can spot you a few nice prospects to get you started.
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2015 7:07:02 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

I would suggest Alaskan Malamutes. wink ;)

There are tons of awesome dogs for sale at all times and anyone just starting off can get on the level of everyone else quickly. HWK often sales specials quality dogs.

There are also many studs to choose from, great prices even on top dogs in the breed.

Friendly community, not so active on the forum, but very much so through PMs; which is the way people have always liked to communicate in this breed for some reason.

Lots of competition (friendly competition-no cutthroats here), entries in every show of the night, big specialties, but no handler hogging that I know of.

Mals are the #8 ranked breed in the game and get lots of show/group placements as well as the odd BIS even.

You would have absolutely no trouble finding all the dogs you need to get off to the best start possible. I'm sure anyone in the breed would have ready to breed broodies available for you too if you but ask them. happy :)
 Almost Heaven
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2015 7:27:08 PM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post

I echo everything Wicked Kisses said about the Bearded Collie Community except we are NOT in the 60s on the breed list, we are actually #48 up from #88 on 12/1!
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/27/2015 11:49:10 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I am most interested in Beardies at the moment as they're a breed I haven't tried before and seem to meet the criteria I've set for myself.

King, I was once a seriously competitor on Amstaffs and would love to return back with the exception that training takes just too long for me. I was in the breed for many years. happy :)

I would also consider Mals but again, the training factor. I am entirely too impatient.

Keep the suggestions coming guys!
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2015 1:49:12 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I have to say Keeshonds! I love the breed. They are fun, fairly easy to session, there are majors nightly, plenty of dogs for sale and stud and of course the other breeders are wonderful!

I can also recommend Wolfhounds, usually majors, group and show placements, decent stud/sales.
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2015 3:09:02 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Before you decide that; have a look at this guy:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13721522

14 days old, sessioned from 0 days and will be ring ready at 19 in training in a few days. That's not too bad. Though it is true that it takes 30ish days to get them to 20. I finish a lot of dogs before they even reach 20 in training. Just food for thought. happy :)
 Topaz Fields
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2015 10:50:37 AM reply with quote send message to Topaz Fields Object to Post

Jack Russell Terriers are a fun, competitive breed as well.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2015 2:47:05 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I have Mals and love them.

If you don't want to wait too long for training, give Gordon Setters a thought! Our highest (that I know of) is a 94.8 ... No handler hogging. We have a breed thread, but it's not the most chatty. Males take BIS under Bruce Bass, but the females and males can take group placements under other judges. They hit 20 for training around 18-20 days. Everyone is friendly and helpful in the breed. happy :)

Good luck in your search!
 Blue Water
Basic User

Basic User
2/8/2015 5:34:48 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Water Object to Post

I do think the real challenge on this game has become rarer breeds that are behind in SOP. Try one of them out. All it takes is for a couple active kennels to work together to really bring back a breed. I am currently in Lhasa Apso, mini poodles, and chow chow in other kennels. In this kennel I have black russians and bichon. happy :) "I'd love to help you in any of these breeds, plus I love some competition
 Rakkaus
Basic User

Basic User
2/8/2015 6:47:56 PM reply with quote send message to Rakkaus Object to Post

You know my reply wink ;) Cardigan Welsh Corgi~
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/8/2015 8:47:13 PM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

How about Australian Cattle Dogs? I have a bitch or two I'd be willing to give up and I'm working on some source breeding as well. Other than me there are two other active ACD breeders with studs.

-----
Last edited by CountryStrong Kennels on 2/8/2015 9:57:03 PM

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.