Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Custom Rations
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/8/2015 11:54:10 AM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post   

What do you guys set your custom rations to? Low meds, rest high? Or is there a more complex system?
 Wicked Kisses
Basic User

Basic User
2/8/2015 12:57:40 PM reply with quote send message to Wicked Kisses Object to Post

I have been using the same custom rations for years and have always had success with them. The numbers are based off of the low-high scale you'll see when you go to create a ration.

1777 - my adult ration that I put any pup that I am sessioning on as soon as they turn 14 days old and can go off puppy ration. Basically this means that every ingredient is on high except for medicines/vaccines.

1474 - my puppy ration that is default for any of my litters. They stay on this until they are 14. I believe you could also make this an adult ration to save some money if you didn't want to do the full 1777.

1171 - this is the adult ration that I put on my broods that need their condition raised to 20.

A basic rule of thumb is to always make sure fat is on the highest portion.

I put any dog that has reached 20 condition on Pet House for Adult dogs to save money. After that they really don't need a custom ration, especially if they are already fully sessioned.

Hope this helps! happy :)
Taylor

CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/8/2015 1:13:25 PM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

Wicked Kisses, that was extremely helpful thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it!
 Wicked Kisses
Basic User

Basic User
2/8/2015 9:03:17 PM reply with quote send message to Wicked Kisses Object to Post

No problem! Glad I could help happy :)

Taylor
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 2:09:05 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I don't do the numbers ... Can't remember what they correspond to. laugh :D

But for puppies I am sessioning, they get everything high except for meds. Then there is a broodie food (high condition, everything else is as low as it can go). I like to have the food help with sessioning, so I have a muscle (high for the muscle ingredient, medium for condition and coat, and low meds) then a condition booster for my adults (if needed) and that is high fat, medium coat and muscle, and low meds. They are on custom rations until muscle and coat hit 20 ... For my Malamutes, they take 35ish days to get to 20 for training, so I don't pay the extra to raise their condition crazy fast.

Also, for my brood pups, I put them on the high fat custom ration, but once their condition hits 18.5-18.8, I put them on pet house for puppies and then pet hous for adults, as these slowly raise the condition and by the time they drop their litter, they have 20 in condition.

When making a custom ration, be sure to check the correct box, for puppy or adult food. Even the best food will do nothing, if it is formulated for an adult, but is fed to a puppy. wink ;)

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.