Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Looking for a second breed
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/9/2015 10:35:41 AM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I'm slowly starting to establish myself in ACDs but I was hoping to start up in a second breed as well. I looked into Collies and have a upcoming litter, but I am uncertain if I will continue with this breed after the fact.

My Requirements:
-friendly and active kennels
-preferably a herding or working group breed (just a preference)

Other than that it's up in the air, I enjoy a good challenge.

-----
Last edited by CountryStrong Kennels on 2/9/2015 10:35:59 AM
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 10:57:42 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

For a working group breed, I suggest Malamutes. We have a male that is 96, but down to 95.3 finishes pretty easily in my experience. happy :) I've had litter sizes between 8-10 consistently. Training takes about 35 days, but I enter the dog's before they hit 20. Everyone I have encountered is very friendly and helpful. We occasionally get BIS. happy :)

Great Danes are in the 98s ... Not sure how high they have gone, but litters are up to 11 pups and training time is shorter than Malamutes. BIS happens more often here. The kennels I have encountered are very helpful and nice. happy :)

Good luck in your search!
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 11:35:09 AM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

How about Portuguese Water Dogs? We are a smaller group and not active on forums, but friendly with each other! Lately, we have not been using handlers to even out the playing field for everyone, so it is a relaxed atmosphere...there are some judges that are placing Porties in groups, so we will obviously use handlers on those judges! Here are some stats:

Finishable SOP: Anything above 92.50 at the moment (I belive the highest SOP is mine, at 93.15 but she is the only one to have breaken 93 thus far)
Colors: All are present, but we have beautiful Picardy photos!
Litter Size: Around 3-7 (Typically, around 5 or 6)
Majors: Lately, we have been better but it goes through waves. With another breeder, it would definitely happen nightly!

I have more than enough brood stock/puppies to get you started, if you are interested. I have been involved in this breed for over a year in this kennel and would love to make this breed more popular!

Em
 Almost Heaven
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 11:39:05 AM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post

Have you considered Bearded Collies? We have grown a lot in the last 2-3 months. Last I checked we were #40 on the breed list.

We have an active community who is always willing to help out new breeders. Finishable pups for sale. Majors pretty much every night.

Check out our thread "Let's Talk Beardies".

(and Treestand... quit trying to poach all the new people for the Mals j/k (LMBO as this is also Rosa Nera)
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/9/2015 12:26:04 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

german shepards are fun. but kinda hard to keep up with if you only dabble in the breed like i do.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 12:36:06 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I know it's not in the herding or working group but Keeshonds are a blast! We have a very active forum, friendly breeders, group placements, our SOP just past the 95 mark, sessioning is fairly quick. I can't say enough good things about this breed! If you are interested just post on the breed community thread that you are looking for a dog to start out with and I'm sure someone can hook you up with something happy :) Oh and stud fees are usually around $50
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 3:56:10 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

posted by Almost Heaven
(and Treestand... quit trying to poach all the new people for the Mals j/k (LMBO as this is also Rosa Nera)
LOL! I really should, I'm getting left in the dust. laugh :D
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 4:25:41 PM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm having trouble deciding between Keeshonds, German Shepherds, and Norwegian Buhunds (I looked into this breed on my own because it seems to be fairly active and looks like a good challenge!)
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 4:42:22 PM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

Second malamutes! The first dog I purchased when I started ended up with show placements-the group is really friendly, tons of pups, breeders and studs available, and competitive but not cutthroat.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 4:59:30 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

If you want to give us a try I'm sure someone has a nice dog to either show or a girl to breed. If you don't like it no harm done, the dog just goes back to who it came from happy :) I might have a brood, will have to check.
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 5:27:55 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

I third malamutes happy :)

There are lots of awesome dogs for sale at all times and anyone just starting off can get on the level of everyone else quickly. HWK often sales specials quality dogs.

There are many studs to choose from with great prices even on top dogs in the breed. Mals get lots of show/group placements as well as the odd BIS even.

You would have absolutely no trouble finding all the dogs you need to get off to the best start possible. I'm sure anyone in the breed would have ready to breed broodies available for you too if you but ask them.

Can't really add to what the others have said, but rather concur that we have a very nice community. Mostly we help each other, rather then trying to push each other down for the betterment of the breed as a whole.
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 8:18:17 PM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

After a little more thinking, I've decided that Malamutes might be the best fit for me. Does anyone have a broodie that I could buy so I could get started?
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 9:16:45 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Awesome, welcome to the breed. ^^ Glad you decided to give mals a try; you won't be disappointed. happy :)

As for broodies; I currently have three ready to breed girls up for sale. They are on approval, and I will accept offers as low as $50 on them:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13601049
CH Drakes Ice Floe [95.3/20 H*fG*CS*] - currently working on GCH title
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13618757
CH Drakes Winterspell [95.35%/20 HfG*SF*]- currently working on GCH title
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13673698
Drakes Spires of Ice [94.45(95.5 H*fG*C*]- Low SS, but proven brood bitch that can and will produce well

Just throw me an offer if any of these interest you. That’s all the breedable bitches I can part with at this time. However, the others might have better dogs they can hook you up with, and I have no doubt you’ll find what you need. happy :)
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 9:27:27 PM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

Thanks Drake Creek, I really appreciate it! With the warm encouragement and welcome I've received so far, I'm sure I won't regret it!
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
2/10/2015 5:28:35 PM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

Awesome! Welcome (says the newcomer!) I'll have some broods up for sale within a week as well, but I don't have many homebreds yet-still working on getting them old enough to show! I did finish a lovely bitch I purchased from Drake today at 29 days of age/19 training. It does take a while to get to 20, but doesn't seem to hold them back! Good luck!
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/10/2015 6:32:12 PM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

Congrats on finishing her! I promised to not buy anymore until I sell some. I need to work on my budgeting but I'm way too excited to be back on SD. Lol. We should get the Malamute forum back up and running!
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
2/11/2015 2:41:09 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

No problem, just remember not to be a stranger. happy :)

Also, getting the forum going again sounds like a great idea, back before my extend hiatus it was one of the most lively communities. It'd be great to see if it could return to it's former glory. happy :)
 Crystal Cove Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2015 8:48:47 AM reply with quote send message to Crystal Cove Kennels Object to Post

Come join us in Black Russian Terriers. They would make a perfect second breed. They fit the bill of being in the working group. There are some active players currently breeding and showing, so there is competition happy :)
Blue Water

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class