Search

.com Forum · Alaskan Malamute

Replies in this thread : 460
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
<< prev page next page >>

Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2015 4:20:17 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Not a problem, always happy to help. happy :) You should keep an eye out for the updated breed averages chart which I will post here in a couple of days; it has a lot to do with how dogs are evaluated based on quality against the breed rather than SOP; SOP isn't everything after all and relying on it exclusively can make some pass up some truly great dogs.

In other news:

ALNJ Save A Dance For Me is now at stud happy :) :

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14276556

96.9%/20ss, red and white, unproven stud, $100 11.85, Supreme!

Since he's not of my own breeding I can't speak to much of his linage as it's less familiar, but looking over his pedigree I'd guess that he's a mid curve that could pass on mid to long. His strengths seem to be hard strengths so have a high probability of passing on or improving though his weaknesses also seem to be hard, so picking a mate that can strengthen those weaknesses is essential. There is so much to like about this boy it's ridiculous. He hasn't shown or had any pups born yet so thus is unproven, but there is little doubt that he will do exceptionally at both. At $100 he is a steal, so send your girls over. happy :)

-----
Last edited by Drake Creek Meadows on 9/28/2015 4:25:39 AM
 Arctic Lights Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2015 7:35:58 AM reply with quote send message to Arctic Lights Kennels Object to Post

Drake, would you please evaluate Ryli?
 Arctic Lights Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2015 7:37:32 AM reply with quote send message to Arctic Lights Kennels Object to Post

Oh poo, I forgot what kennel I was in. This is HWK.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2015 9:00:08 AM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Well, would you look at what I found in the litter box this fine morning. wink ;)
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14352348

Many thanks to Drake who I bought the mother from! laugh :D
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2015 6:22:16 PM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

Well Myths, if that boy doesn't get you hooked on this breed I don't know what will! He is gorgeous!
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2015 3:29:40 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Certainly HWK; Ryli rates an 11.9, so is supreme, lots of potential to be the best dog in the ring, but you won't know until you show her. happy :)

Congrats Myths, he is gorgeous, glad my girl could produce such an awesome pup for you! ^^ Though they haven't been doing that for me. At any rate, really glad I didn't have to end up FHing her and you took a chance on her. happy :)
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2015 6:28:54 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

It's the end of the month and you guys no what that means; new averages:

Head: 9.7 +0
FQ: 9.4 +0
HQ: 9.1 +0
Gait: 10.3 +1
TNB: 9.2 +1
Coat: 9.6 +0
Size: 9.8 +0
Temp: 9.6 +1
Feet: 9.5 +0

Look peeps, real visual improvement this month and quite a bit at that happy :), this is quite a refreshing change from the three very stagnant months that came before. It seems that a breeding block had been hit, but it's been routed now. Look forward to seeing if even more improvements occur next month. happy :) Good job all.

The new ring average is 96.1% and the formulaic average increases to 10.6, adjust your dogs accordingly.
 Kianya Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/1/2015 5:09:19 PM reply with quote send message to Kianya Kennels Object to Post

Hey all,

I just got this puppy and put him up for sale, his SOP is just ok, but he has really nice stats, if anyone can use him for breeding feel free to offer $1 on him.

I unfortunately don't have room to keep him,

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14356487
 Howling Wolves Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/1/2015 5:12:51 PM reply with quote send message to Howling Wolves Kennels Object to Post

96.9's popping up everywhere:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14362190

Would you care to evaluate her, please, Drake?

Makavelis
Basic User

Basic User
10/1/2015 6:04:14 PM reply with quote send message to Makavelis Object to Post

little brag here hehe wink ;)

Finished two of my dogs last night with a Best of Winners & Winners bitch at the Mal Nationals! laugh :D
Pretty stoked happy :)

Also HWK that's a lovely girl you have there! Congrats laugh :D

Lindsey
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
10/2/2015 3:52:06 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Wow another one HWK? You are on a roll! As for her rating, she rates the same as your other fantastic girl with a chart busting 11.9. Impossible to know which is better without showing, but they are tied for best rating for a mal out in the ring, so either has the potential to be the best one out there. Huge congrats on all your breeding success. ^^

Congrats on you big wins at the national Makavelis, and too everyone else that did well there too of course. happy :)
 Arctic Lights Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/2/2015 7:12:56 AM reply with quote send message to Arctic Lights Kennels Object to Post

Thanks Drake! I thought about just breeding the second one, but I'm going to show her,too.
 SKL Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/2/2015 9:35:27 PM reply with quote send message to SKL Kennel Object to Post

How do you do your ratings Drake? I keep meaning to ask haha...
 SKL Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2015 12:21:33 AM reply with quote send message to SKL Kennel Object to Post

96.95%

So close...so close...
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14368392
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2015 6:44:16 AM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

That is a beautiful dog SKL!! Congrats!
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2015 9:59:15 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Absolutely gorgeous dog SKL, congrats! ^^ I wonder if one of Dance's offspring will be the one to break 97%, it's got me curious now. happy :) He will be the new highest rated dog in line for the ring by the way, rating 11.95! (well actually he's tied for that) as this boy I got today has the same rating: www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14372179 though quite a bit lower SOP so it will be interesting to see what he can do.

I'd like to post a little brag about this guy as well:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14372181
Don't think I will be showing him, but his rating is what's special at 12.15 he is by far the highest mal I have rated to date. Can't wait to breed him. It's a shame about his showshine, but even so, he wouldn't have had the highest SOP he would have been 96.8%.

Can't wait to see what else Dance sires, very happy with his litters so far. ^^

Oh and SKL, like I've said before I don't want to share my specific formula as I'm still tweaking it as I gather more information from rated dogs and shows.

However, as I've said previously it has a lot to do with those averages I've been posting every month. Basically you'll want to compare each of your dogs traits against those averages, the more traits above the better. You first rate them for distance above or below and then weigh the traits by importance. The higher a dog is above the average the better the dog. The exact math I use will be kept a secret, but the important thing is that number I posted; 10.6. That's the average for the breed by my formula, so for instance your new dog who rate 11.95 is an astounding 1.35 points over average which makes him a supreme grade mal; among the very most elite in the breed.

The grades are as follows:

Below Average (under 10.6), Average (10.6), Good (10.7-10.8 *+.1-.2*), Great (10.9 *+.3*), Excellent (11-11.1*+.4-.5*), Exceptional* (11.2 *+.6*), and Exceptional** AA class (11.3 *+.7*), Exceptional*** AAA class (11.4-11.6 *+.8-1*), Supreme (11.7+ *+.1.1 on)

I use this rather than SOP exclusively when judging the quality of a dog as I find it more accurate. The most important this to remember is to compare to those averages I post. Your boy is above average in 5 traits, well above average in 1 trait at average in 2 traits and below average in 1 trait you can probably develop your own system for rating, I know others in the breed have and it seems to have helped them. I don't think you need it though, looking at the way you've been breeding you've been selecting dogs for the right reasons anyway.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2015 11:42:05 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

That's a gorgeous pup SKL! Congrats! laugh :D

Also, as a heads up, I'm going to be moving my Mals into another kennel (WhiteStar Kennel). I'm not sure if it'll be temporary or more permanent but we'll see, I'm slowly starting to move the stock I have at the moment over. happy :)

I had my first litter from Save a Dance as well, from it I'm probably going to be showing a good few pups lol.

-----
Last edited by Myths on 10/6/2015 12:05:57 AM
 WhiteStar Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/6/2015 9:59:17 PM reply with quote send message to WhiteStar Kennel Object to Post

This is Myths' new Mal kennel. I've moved most things over at this point but there might be a few stragglers back in Myths lol.

Apparently the SD gods approve the change because I just got this girl:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14376397
I'd love an evaluation of her if you have the time Drake, I've been eyeballing the averages but I just got back from school so I'm brained-out for the day. XD
 SKL Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2015 2:24:11 AM reply with quote send message to SKL Kennel Object to Post

posted by WhiteStar Kennel
This is Myths' new Mal kennel. I've moved most things over at this point but there might be a few stragglers back in Myths lol.

Apparently the SD gods approve the change because I just got this girl:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14376397
I'd love an evaluation of her if you have the time Drake, I've been eyeballing the averages but I just got back from school so I'm brained-out for the day. XD

Congrats!!! The female version of my 9.5 topline male, with stronger traits. He is 3rd generation 9.5 topline... I am glad the topline is pulling through into show lines!

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14368388
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 3:34:01 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Another one? Huge congrats! Wow, this breed is on a roll lately! Awesome work all?! laugh :D As for her rating she is an absolutely outstandingly gorgeous 12.1! That's the highest rating I've seen on a dog with perfect showshine. This is a showstopper!

Replies in this thread : 460
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.