.com Forum · Alaskan Malamute

Replies in this thread : 460
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
<< prev page next page >>

Xi-Chi
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2016 8:39:16 AM reply with quote send message to Xi-Chi Object to Post

Hi everyone *waves*. I took the liberty of updating the Top SOP List for our breed. So far we have:
Top Male - HWK Arctic Myth (97.15)
Top Female - HWK Zumba (97.30)

Congrats HWK! Your program is really outstanding.

Congrats on becoming a member of the 97 club, CS and Drake! I was jumping around all day when I did it, it's exciting.

Welcome back to the breed, Melanie. I believe I missed this when I was skimming through the thread before. I apologize for being late. It looks like you have acquired some really nice dogs to start with happy :)

I appreciate you guys taking the time to explain trait breeding to me. Many years ago when I first joined the SD community, I was breeding based on SOP only. I didn't realize how in depth breeding could be until after I'd been around awhile.

Holy cats! That is a really high Temp, CS. I've never seen them that high before. As far as when to breed in opposite numbers. I read somewhere that it takes 3 generations to get a trait to stick. My guess on that would be breed high to low, then 3 generations of same to same and then switch to high to low again, maybe? I suppose the challenge would be to look at the weaker traits in the other areas in those same to same pairs to avoid setting weak traits.

I know this is getting rather long, but I had a rather interesting thing occur in my kennel this month. I usually train 4 dogs at a time to show the following month. Last month I chose 4 to train. Their SOP's are as follows: 96.85, 96.80, 96.90 and 96.75. That last dog I almost didn't train, but figured his traits looked good so I chose to train him in spite of the lower SOP. At the beginning of this month I entered them all into shows. To my total shock, that 96.75 dog earned his championship title in 3 shows. The other 3 can't seem to earn points to save their lives. I'm almost positive that I've gotten rid of other dogs that may have done really well. I really just don't understand this, not that I'm complaining. I'm really proud of my boy. He won 2 show wins, which is a first for me. He took 3rd in Show and 2nd in Show. I've never seen my dog's name show up on the main show results page before so that was exciting. lol

I'm really glad Mals are thriving and wish you all lots of wins in the ring happy :)

-Serenity
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2016 1:50:14 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

I concur; whatever HWK is doing its working wonders. happy :)

It’s no problem, I’m always happy to help if I can. There are always things to learn once you start delving even deeper you start to realize that you will never stop learning new things, and that’s part of the fun. I’m glad you stopped letting SOP alone blind you to the true quality of a dog, so many breeders on this game do that and so many awesome dogs slip silently below the radar never to shine.

Also yep that’s exactly right; three generations is the magic number, which is why I said in an earlier post it always pays to be future minded and thing three generations ahead at any given time so you can construct pedigrees carefully.

This game works on a variable conditions system, which means that decimals for the pup are selected randomly from its parents, grandparents, and great grandparents. The coveted perfect roll happens 1 in 100 times, that is when the pup inherits the best decimals it can possibly inherit from three generations. Man it fills good when you land a pup with that roll. It’s been a long time since I’ve had that happen. You can use the skipwall formula to find out the best hypothetical pup from a litter ahead of time, so you will know if you get it, and even then it’s not 100% because you can’t see the decimals. Although if you get all the best possible traits from a litter on a single pup then more than likely you rolled the best hidden decimals also.

It’s not that unusual for a lower SOP dog to actually be the best on a show force, because like you said a lot of people overlook the higher quality lower SOP dogs for the shiner higher SOP ones. What happened is you showed a supreme quality dog without even realizing what you had. Remember, a dog is much more than it’s SOP. The formula I use all the time around here is based on making it easier to identify such dogs, by scoping out their ‘true’ quality. So if one purposely breeds for those ratings they find best pup and highest SOP lining up together a lot more frequently. Not only does your 96.75% boy have a very high rating, but that is also paired with most likely a short curve. These two things working together are why he has done so well and finished so fast. Congrats on him by the way, he is outstanding! ^^ Congrats on your wins as well, always feels great to pick up those big wins. happy :)
Thanks Serenity, I wish you lots more wins also, and I too am glad mals are thriving. happy :)

Anyway, I Just got another 97%er last night:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14648843
With a rating of 12.15 he is definitely a contender, but also not the best by any means.

The real star of last night’s litters is this superstar:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14648827
Her Sop may be lower but with a rating of 12.35, she is the highest ranked mal I’ve ever rated in my kennel! laugh :D Though I think I rated another dog slightly higher at one point with 12.4, maybe it was HWKs girl Zumba; don’t remember, but I’m stoked to get her into the ring! ^^ Kind of a bummer that she is female though as that makes it more difficult to show her to her full potential. Too many of our judges have gender biases -.-‘. Still with numbers like that I can’t complain. happy :)

Have this lovely lady for sale from the same litter:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14648832
96.85%/20ss, red and white, 12.1 Supreme $100 on approval
She is almost solid dark blue, and only tnb holds her back. I want her to go to a show home, or at least somewhere she will be used. Would be a shame to FH her, she’s way to nice.

Also check out the other pups I have for sale, had a lot of exceptional ones drop in my latest litters. happy :)
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
1/31/2016 11:23:39 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

It's the end of the month and you know what that means... yep updated breed averages:

Head: 9.8 +0
FQ: 9.5 +0
HQ: 9.3 +1
Gait: 10.3 +0
Tnb: 9.3 +0
Coat: 9.6 +0
Size: 9.8 +0
Temp: 9.6 +0
Feet: 9.6 +0

This time hindquarter increased just a little, but enough to round up to a tangible difference. Any increase is a good increase, it means we as a breed haven't hit that dreaded high SOP breeding wall just yet. Congrats on all your hard work trait breeders ^^, all traits have come up, none have gone down, that's victory in my book. happy :)

That said; he ring average has increased by to 96.65% and the formulaic average is now 10.9, adjust accordingly. happy :)

Here is the updated Grade chart since I haven't posted one in a long time:

Below Average (under 10.9), Average (10.9), Good (11-11.1 *+.1-.2*), Great (11.2*+.3*), Excellent (11.3-11.4*+.4-.5*), Exceptional* (11.5 *+.6*), and Exceptional** AA class (11.6 *+.7*), Exceptional*** AAA class (11.7-11.9 *+.8-1*), Supreme (12+ *+.1.1 on)

-----
Last edited by Drake Creek Meadows on 1/31/2016 11:29:45 PM
 BlackDahlia82
Basic User

Basic User
2/1/2016 11:29:39 AM reply with quote send message to BlackDahlia82 Object to Post

If anyone is interested, this girl is for sale www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14659232 her Sop is lower at 94.85 with 18.8ss but 10.2 temperment. happy :)
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
2/1/2016 2:22:32 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Thanks, I bought her. happy :) I don't really have the space at all, but when I saw that high range temp I just couldn't resist; reminds me of my old trait breeding attempts. Eh, I wanted to do a little trait breeding in the side anyway, should be a good experiment to see if I can get that to stick. happy :)
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
2/3/2016 1:28:44 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

I have some new stud up:

Drakes Dancing on the Horizon:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14542742

96.1%/96.85% adjusted SOP 18.5ss, red and white, 12.25 Supreme, unproven stud $50

Boasts a nice high rating, good overall balance, high decimal strength in temperament by his line, guaranteed to pass on a long curve with any mate, available only for a limited time

Drakes Electrified:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14591715

96.65%/96.9% adjusted SOP 19.5ss, sable and white, 11.95 Supreme, unproven stud $100

Strong overall balance present on him and by linage, has high range HQ which makes him good for pulling up HQ, has the possibility of passing along variables that are present in his linage

Drakes Prism Of Life:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14591777

96.85%/20ss, blue and white, 12.15 supreme, unproven stud $100

Exceedingly well balanced, nearly all darker blue traits, lacking a bit in HQ, but this stat can easily come up with the right pairing. Should pass along his strengths well, boasts a very strong, carefully constructed linage, will most likely pass along a long curve
 Xi-Chi
Basic User

Basic User
2/8/2016 3:50:48 PM reply with quote send message to Xi-Chi Object to Post

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm having a kennel clear out. I'm not leaving or anything. I just have too many dogs and not enough space lol

I also had another 97.00 born and 2 almost 97's (low show shine).
97.00 girl
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14659088

Almost 97 boy
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14664952

Almost 97 girl
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14672475

I put a boy that I bought from Howling Wolves up for stud as well. He sired some of my 97's and figured since he produced so well that I'd share him happy :)
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14518590

He's a red and white 96.95 boy with a nice Temp & low Gait.
-Serenity
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2016 8:15:46 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Hope found homes for at least some of your dogs Xi-Chi, I've been away for a few days so I missed somethings. Would have a look, but I don't have space for more dogs; I need less dogs. -.-' Congrats on your gorgeous new 97% girl!

I don't have much to report in my kennel, but I do have a few new studs up:

Drakes Teumessian Fox:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14612440

96.75%/20ss, red and white, 12.0 Supreme, unproven stud $100

hails from the temperament branch of my line boasts strong temp decimals, also has 9.5hq, will most likely pass along a long curve

Drakes Laelaps:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14612437

96.4%/96.9% adjusted SOP 19ss, red and white, 12.15 supreme, unproven stud $100

Full brother to the boy above, the fact that both have the 9.7temp and 9.5hq is a testament to their strengths in those areas, he will most likely pass along a long curve. He is only available for a limited time.

Drakes Royal Phenomenon:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14616651

96.85%/20ss, red and white, 12.05 supreme, unproven stud $50

fairly well balanced, bred for balance boasts balanced linage, will most likely pass along a mid curve

Drakes Make it Loud:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14616645

95.85%/96.95% adjusted SOP 17.8ss, red and white, 12.25 supreme, unproven stud $50

Exceptionally well balanced, full brother to the boy above, boasts same strengths exhibits no weaknesses. Only available for a limited time.
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
3/12/2016 7:10:12 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Where is everyone? It's been so quiet here lately. sad :( CS and Serenity have been gone for quite some time now; they never said they were quitting so I'm a bit concerned, hope they are just busy with RL. I miss reading updates here. Though it's very understandable to get too busy to play. I've stayed very busy myself, don't get on or check the forums as much as I'd like. I'm behind again on updating the averages for the month also, but I get the feeling there's no one left that even cares for that update. Guess I'll do it anyway when I can find the time, just because I think it's important to keep everyone up to speed.

Anyway, getting to actual breed chat... I have noticed that we have hit a SOP wall in this breed or at least that seems to be the case as no one has updated the SOP in ages. That would mean that HWKs Zumba is still #1 for SOP at 97.3%. This breed had been improving at an unusually quick pace before so I'm a bit surprised to see that no one has bested that number in so long, well at least not that I know of. Since I don't check the kennels of others it's possible a higher SOP one could exist. But then... why not brag about it? That would be an exciting development in light of the sort of stagnation that's been lingering as of late.

Although, the average SOP has definitely increased as dogs 97% or more are getting more common all the time, but then it's just everyone starting to catch that wall. I'd need to take the averages for the month to be sure of how much it's increased, but there is no doubt it's increased by quite a bit at the very least.

So yeah, lets stir some life back into this thread with a discussion: what's everyone's current best mals?

Here are mine:

Top campaigner:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14498940
Drakes Light it up 96.95(97.15 19.6ss 11,830 dogs beaten so far

Top Sop:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14702568
Drakes Take it Higher 97.2% 20ss (still behind in SOP, but catching up happy :) )

Top prospects: (there's a tie)
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14702568
Drakes Take it Higher 97.2% 20ss 12.45 Supreme
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14743970
Drakes Leading Edge 96.95%/20ss 12.45 Supreme
^can't wait to get these two out in the ring, especially the male since hes the first real campaign prospect male I'v had in ages. They have the highest rating I've seen.

Nothing too exciting has happened in my kennel lately that I feel the need to report, so I'll just leave this post of with my newest stud listings:

GCH CH Drakes Party Rock Anthem :

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14619841

97.05%/20ss, gray and white, 12.25 Supreme, Proven stud $100

Best Traits: 9.8 head, 9.5fq, 10.3 gait, 9.4tnb high, 9.7 coat high, 9.8 size, 9.6 temp,9.7 feet high

CH Drakes Lìght up the Night:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14648840

96.8%/20ss, gray and white, 12.05 supreme, unproven stud $50

Best Traits: 10.2 head uncommon high range, 9.6fq high, 10.7hq uncommon high range, 9.3tnb, 9.6 coat, 9.8 size, 9.6 temp, 9.6 feet

CH Drakes Starry Horizon:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14635458

96.8%/20ss, sable and white, 12.1 supreme, proven stud $100

Best traits: 10.2 head uncommon high range, 9.6fq high, 9.4hq high,9.4tnb high, 9.8 size, 9.6 temp,9.6 feet

CH Drakes State-of-the-Art:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14648819

96.75%/96.9% adjusted SOP 19.7ss, red and white, 12.15 supreme, proven*** stud $100
***sired two 12.45% pups, which is the highest rating I know of***

Best Traits: 9.8 head, 10.2fq very high rare high range, 10.9hq uncommon high range, 9.3tnb 9.6 coat, 9.8 size, 9.7 temp high, 9.7 feet high

GCH CH Drakes Blast from the Past:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14626946

96.85%/20ss, gray and white, 12.05 Supreme, unproven stud $50

Best traits: 9.8 head, 9.5fq, 9.3hq, 10.3 gait, 9.3tnb, 9.7 coat high, 9.6 temp, 9.7 feet high

Drakes Dancing Lìghts:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14648843

97%/20ss, red and white, 12.15 supreme, unproven stud $100

Best Traits: 9.8 head, 9.3hq, 10.3 gait, 9.5tnb very high, 9.6 coat, 9.8 size, 9.6 temp, 9.7 feet high
 Feeesh
Basic User

Basic User
3/14/2016 8:44:04 AM reply with quote send message to Feeesh Object to Post

I'm still pretty new to malamutes so I don't have much to share, but I'm super happy about this boy who arrived today:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14755074

SOP 97.25 with 9.5s for both HQ and TNB and all around just pretty consistent across the board--if only I didn't have to wait a month to use him as a stud!
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2016 5:53:50 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Hey Feeesh, official welcome to the breed! happy :) Hope you are having fun, I've seen you in the ring. ^^ Would have replied sooner if I'd seen this, but it's been crazy busy this month; guess I am part of the problem with the quietness of this thread :P.

Awesome, awesome boy you have there o.o, love him! I do believe you are the first person to get a mal to all darker blue traits on the same dog, congrats! I know there are others that were trying, but I don't think they are playing anymore. -.-'

Hope you will put him up for stud when he's old enough, I'd definitely send some girls his way! happy :)

In other news I'd like to announce that my star campaigner Light it up has officially finished her campaign, and she had a very nice run. ^^

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14498940

Her accomplishments are as follows:

5x Best in Show winner
2x NBISS
5x BISS
2x specialty placer
24 show placements
56 BIB
918 malamutes beaten
13,312 dogs beaten
310 GCH points

January 2016 SDWC - Best of Oppiste
February 2016 SDWC- Best in breed

#2 mal, #4 all breeds, #2 working January 2016
#1 mal, #2 all breeds, #1 working February 2016
#2 mal, #9 all breeds, #6 working March 2016

Career earnings of 4,288

Silver GCH
#2 malamute GCH points
#71 all-time GCH points

I will miss showing her, but at least I can breed her now. happy :) The best part is that even after a 120 day campaign her SOP, stats and ranking are all still top notch for the breed! Speaks to how amazing she is, especially to accomplish so much with 19.6 showshine. ^^ Can't wait to breed her and see what she can produce! laugh :D Will hold off until after the world cup though.
 Feeesh
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2016 10:28:31 PM reply with quote send message to Feeesh Object to Post

Hi Drake Creek, thank you for the warm welcome! Your girl was fantastic in the ring, even if I only caught the tail end of her career. Hope she gives you some great pups!

It's fun being in a competitive breed again. I'll try to be more active on the thread!

My current show campaigner is Secret Starfire (96.9), who just took a 5 point major with a Best in Breed last night.
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14693552

And my current show prospect is Hiawatha (97.05)--he's actually out of two of your dogs, Drake Creek, so fingers crossed that he performs as well as his background suggests.
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14729502

I'm playing around with colour a bit (mainly interested in darks), but that's about all I have for now. I'm looking forward to getting to know the community more!
 Howling Wolves Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/7/2016 2:10:53 PM reply with quote send message to Howling Wolves Kennels Object to Post

Jenmar
Basic User

Basic User
4/18/2016 4:02:43 PM reply with quote send message to Jenmar Object to Post

Not new to the breed, but what a great first litter in my new kennel!!

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14828208

Jennifer
 Feeesh
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2016 12:28:33 PM reply with quote send message to Feeesh Object to Post

Does anyone know if this girl is the new high SOP for the breed?

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14947116
 Howling Wolves Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2016 6:43:40 AM reply with quote send message to Howling Wolves Kennels Object to Post

Could be. My highest is 97.4.
 WindSwept Valley
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2016 10:07:07 AM reply with quote send message to WindSwept Valley Object to Post

Hello! I just found this thread, and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Lily, and I just revived this kennel. While I am working on getting a line of show competitive mals going, I am finish dogs for other people.

Right now, I am working on (besides size) heads and gaits, trying to tighten those by mixing 10.x and 9.x dogs together. Otherwise, I do enjoy colors, but color breeding specifically is not my forte. I enjoy putting dogs into shows and watching how they go from there.

My other newly revived kennel is Windsong Hills, and there I am working on German Shorthaired Pointers.

I played this game on and off for the past 10+ years. Due to health and family reasons, I had to leave, but now I'm back and am excited about the breed!

My first litter came last night, and I have one dog with 9.9 size (but lamentable SS).

Otherwise, I don't have too many exciting pups at the moment.

Thanks,
Lily

Alaskan Woods
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2016 10:00:19 PM reply with quote send message to Alaskan Woods Object to Post

Hi everyone! I am fairly new to Mals so I thought I'd come on here and just quickly introduce myself. My name is Charlotte, I played the game for about four years and very briefly bred Mals and really enjoyed it, so when I came back I decided to give them another try.
I've been starting up both lines of show dogs and color breeding, but I don't have any particularly note-worthy pups at the moment.
 Arctic Lights Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2016 1:03:21 PM reply with quote send message to Arctic Lights Kennels Object to Post

Welcome back, and good luck with your dogs. I'm sure you will be getting some great pups soon.

HWK
 WindSwept Valley
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2016 2:12:25 AM reply with quote send message to WindSwept Valley Object to Post

Hey you color breeders! I have two sable pups out of my line. They are high 96 SOPs. If anyone wants them for their color-to-show SOP projects, feel free to buy them before I FH them.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15065438
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15065439

Thanks you guys, and good luck with pups!
Lily

Replies in this thread : 460
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.