Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : Dog Shampoo
 Champions-true-kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/12/2015 12:32:03 AM reply with quote send message to Champions-true-kennel Object to Post   

So iv been looking into ordering some new shampoo for my border collies, rather then trusting online reviews who better to ask then the show dog community themselves wink ;)

So what kinds of dog shampoos do you guys use and what would you suggest for me to try.

Thanks all!
 Cornus
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2015 8:45:14 AM reply with quote send message to Cornus Object to Post

Are you looking for a general cleaning shampoo? A conditioning shampoo? A whitening shampoo? A texturizing shampoo?
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2015 10:42:13 AM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

Depends what you are using it for: general, everyday cleaning or show and coat enhancement
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2015 1:38:36 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

Depends on what you are looking for.

We use Isle of Dogs for our show dogs, the product depends on the breed.

For just at home stay clean we rotate between 2 prodcuts. The first is Head and Shoulders on our BRTs and IWs, it works well for them, doesn't give them dander and doesn't dry out their coat. We use the 2 in 1 but have used shampoo straight and then the conditioner.

The other is Mane 'n Tail, which is wonderful! We have used the deep moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, the detangle spray (with BRTs tangles are a common found thing) and the color protect just to help the girls' coats stay nice and dark.

We have used the leave in conditioner on the Wolfhounds, and have used the 2 in 1 on them, but not on the Russians yet.

Hope this helps.

Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2015 4:17:18 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Silly me how could i forget the most important part! haha

Id like something to maintain volume, but wont fade out their nice bright black. And obviously keeps their coats soft. My pups now are all retired from the breed ring but my pup I'm getting in march will be going into the ring so id like some suggestions for him! iv clearly been out of the ring for a few years and I'm racking my brain trying to remember all of the things we used to use.

Thanks so much guys!
 Champions-true-kennel
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2015 4:20:55 PM reply with quote send message to Champions-true-kennel Object to Post

whoops i took so long typing it logged me out. haha that was me above!
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2015 4:51:43 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

We use Isle of Dog black coat on our BRTs, gives them a nice look.

For show our bathing routine is this ~

Soak
Lather with Royal Jelly No. 20 ~ let sit 5 minutes
Rinse
Lather with Black Coat Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo No. 18 ~ Let sit 5 minutes
Rinse
Apply Conditioner (depends on the coat texture of the dog) we use Light Management No. 50 ~ Let sit 5 minutes
Rinse

Then the blow dry

This works well for us, we use the same stuff for our IW's only trade the black coat out for white coat. Each product depends on your dog's coat texture and condition.
 Grayvuren
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2015 5:16:37 PM reply with quote send message to Grayvuren Object to Post

For everyday cleaning I use Coat Handler Shampoo. I also have an oatmeal/tea tree oil shampoo if they get "itchy" rolling around in the muck on the farm.

For my Border Collie in the show ring I use CC Black on Black for the black parts and Winners Circle whitening on the white parts. The last step is CC After U Bath. Very important to close the hair follicles after using a whitening/blackening shampoo.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/12/2015 10:21:14 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I have no idea what a BRT is (lol)!

Man, I sure wish you guys wouldn't use abbreviations - at least use a fuller breed name once in the topic!

Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
2/12/2015 11:35:52 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

Sorry! Black Russian Terrier laugh :D Will try to not use so many abbreviations, guess I am just so use to it.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
2/15/2015 6:59:36 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio

Man, I sure wish you guys wouldn't use abbreviations - at least use a fuller breed name once in the topic!

And I'm confused by IW - thought it was Irish Water (spaniel) but couldn't figure out why you would be using shampoo for white coats on one?
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
2/15/2015 7:01:06 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Ahh - Irish Wolfhound - but still I'm not sure why you would use white coat shampoo on one.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2015 12:00:08 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

Ours are grey and the white coat shampoo makes their lighter brindling stand out. I will try to find a before and after photo, it really works wonders!
 Charisma
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2015 8:04:54 PM reply with quote send message to Charisma Object to Post

I like the Chris Christensen Day To Day shampoo for basic use. It rinses easily and works well.

Zacarati
Basic User

Basic User
2/22/2015 12:31:29 PM reply with quote send message to Zacarati Object to Post

For my Dalmatians I use Christ Christinsen White on White. I do not typically leave it on for the 10 mins because it does such a good job, and i bathe them weekly for shows. it does an amazing job removing stains if there are some. you can use white on white with other coat colors too, it intensifies the other colors.

For the Manchesters and The Skyes I use the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil Shampoo/Conditioner but I dilute it. its great for sensitive skin and is amazing for the Skyes coat. It does really depend on your coat type though. I love the conditioner mixed with water for the daily coat brushings too. happy :)

I dont use this anymore becuase I dont have goldens or anything like that But i LOVED pumb Silky, I cant remember the brand but it came in a big jug and you had to dilute it. was wonderful on the double coated breeds happy :)

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.