Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Just Curious
 Manhattan Spirit
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/19/2015 11:16:32 AM reply with quote send message to Manhattan Spirit Object to Post   

Hi I just wondered if owners with dogs that have GCH Continue to show them?

TIA

Maxine
 Kistmi Quick Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/19/2015 11:46:32 AM reply with quote send message to Kistmi Quick Kennels Object to Post

I usually show them until they aren't bringing in anymore $$. That generally happens long after the GCH title.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
2/19/2015 11:49:27 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

For me it depends on how well the dog did while working towards the GCH and how well they do after the title. I tend to finish then sell/FH dogs, because I have better dogs to replace the current ones. But I have a Malamute who I showed until he was 120 days because he was doing well and I was trying to get him to the #1 Mal spot (which he attained!). Usually the girls get their ch then are bred and then we work on the GCH - unless they are doing well showing, then it's ch, GCH, show for a while, then breed them.

Clear as mud? laugh :D
 Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
2/19/2015 7:34:35 PM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

Mostly once I finish a dog's CH I either breed them or FH them, since my stock is finishable but not totally amazing.
 terryterrier
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/20/2015 4:45:23 AM reply with quote send message to terryterrier Object to Post

I've definitely shown my GCH less since the award was introduced, unless it's a good special then I'll continue until a better one beats it. In another kennel I bought a dog on spec from a breed I'd never had before. I've shown him every day for the fun of it and he's just clocking up GCH points, as opposed to this kennel where I've a line of dogs waiting for the 25 points.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
2/20/2015 9:48:50 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I show them until they no longer do well. I have had dogs do very well all the way to 120 days and others who don't place after 70-80 days. So in reality it just depends on the dog. My current Irish Wolfhound bitch has her GCH but is well past the age she earned it. She is still doing well, just hit 70 days and took a break for a litter. It worked out well.

My Keeshond bitch finished her CH easily and is partly done with her GCH so we are taking a break and breeding, then will worry about the rest of the GCH since I feel she will have no trouble earning the title, if she continues to do well after that we will keep showing if she doesn't, then she will be a brood.
 Manhattan Spirit
Basic User

Basic User
2/20/2015 2:33:01 PM reply with quote send message to Manhattan Spirit Object to Post

thanks everyone for taking the time to reply

I think I will see how my GCH does for a while.

Maxine

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.