Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 19

Author Topic : beginner breeding
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
3/2/2015 7:14:31 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post   

So i would like to get into showing american bullies in real life. something i have learned from this game though is that what most kennels are selling is obviously not what they would put in the ring. So do you purchase a dog you think will breed well and raise it as a brood until it pops out something showable? maybe get a sister or cousin of a dog currently doing well in the ring and hope they pass on some of the other dogs traits. i guess my basic question is how do you go about starting to get into showing and breeding? and does it go showing then breeding or breeding then showing.
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
3/2/2015 7:24:23 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

Show then breed!!! Without experience, no RESPONSIBLE breeder is going to sell you an open bitch, especially one with quality. From the questions you are asking, you have no experience.
 Stephval Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/2/2015 7:32:26 PM reply with quote send message to Stephval Kennels Object to Post

"until it pops out something showable?"

Uhh..
 Noveria
Basic User

Basic User
3/2/2015 7:54:08 PM reply with quote send message to Noveria Object to Post

You want to start with showing. happy :) I started by finding a breeder. We visited them at their home, talked the whole evening, went over dogs, etc. They knew we were interested in a show puppy. We ended up getting one of their adult CHs instead though (co-owned it with them).

We met them at local shows and they taught us how to show. We learned a lot just by showing and hanging out with them, talking about dogs.

Find a mentor, hopefully your breeder, who can help you get started. Don't worry about breeding yet.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/2/2015 9:13:51 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

no i admittedly have no idea how any thing in dog world works.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/2/2015 9:16:14 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

thanks noveira.
 ambertal
Basic User

Basic User
3/3/2015 1:44:55 AM reply with quote send message to ambertal Object to Post

Read the breed standard (aka blueprint) for your chosen breed. Learn the traits that would disqualify the breed from the ring. This will help you when it's time to go the breeders.
By knowing the DQ faults, you will be able to recognize which breeders could possibly be mentors to you and which just want your money.
Next you need to learn how the shows work. Which ones get the points for their championship. Granted I'm more familiar with AKC showing, but for the sake of an example, let's go for it. Earning a dog's championship (CH) takes earning 15 points. You will receive 1 point for every dog you defeat in the ring on that day. Okay, now you need to earn 2 majors (a major is where you win 3,4, or 5 points) under two different judges. Say you earn a 4 pt major and a 5 point major at two different shows. Ok, you now need 6 points to complete the CH title. You can do this as two other majors ( pts each) or as singles.
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
3/3/2015 3:07:12 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

The difference between here and real life is that in real life, few people can keep 30-35 dogs at a time- so they HAVE to sell some of the show quality ones. They likely won't be pick of the litter, but you can get a very nice, finishable dog with strong points from the right breeder.

Your first step should be going to shows- learn how they work, sit outside your breed ring and make notes, develop an eye for which dogs win, which dogs you feel meet the breed standard. eventually, you will get a feel for which breeders lines you like. Last time I looked for a dog I went to several shows. One particular show, I marked every dog in the breed I saw that I thought was well built, how they placed etc. And at the end, studied my notes, and realized nearly all the dogs I'd picked were from one kennel, and that told me I wanted to learn more about that breeder, their lines, and what breeders they work closely with etc.

Knowing this stuff will REALLY help. I bought a dog when I was younger that I thought I would show- but went about it all wrong. Found an ad in the paper, and called the person up, who assured us that while they didn't show, some of the pups were show quality- didn't ask for health clearances or pedigrees, none of that. She was a nice dog- but she wasn't going to win us much either and ended up having inherited health conditions later in life. I say this as a warning- you need to do a LOT of research in how to choose a breeder- lots of breeders with stock that isn't good quality have a champion or two in the line somewhere, will swear the pup they sell you is "show quality" etc- YOU need to know how to make sure you're getting what you want.

And I agree with the others- you shouldn't be thinking about breeding at all right now. And no breeder worth their salt will sell you a breeding prospect with no show experience to show for it. Many people keep their chosen breed for years before doing their first breeding- your first dog may never be bred- maybe not even your 2nd or 3rd. But they will help you learn, so that one day, you'll have enough knowledge to get a great foundation dog, and have a go.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/3/2015 4:23:12 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

awesome input thanks everyone.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/3/2015 4:52:17 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

so far i have learned that about 98% of american bully breeders are actually illiterate. i question how professional anyone could be with "wich" not which ,"or with a american bully" on the home page of their "kennels" website. I'm also fairly certain that a lot of these people did exactly what everyone said not to do and just grabbed a dog and started breeding it. might have to do some traveling Missouri is not the spot for bullies
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
3/3/2015 2:11:24 PM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

Are you breed experienced with the breed you would like to become involved in? I suggest you go online and find some dog shows in your area (these would not be AKC or CKC since APB's are not recognized by these clubs but American Staffordshire Terriers are) When you find the shows you would be able to attend, look at the schedule to find out what time your desired breed will be shown since dog shows tend to last all day. Watch the breed and see what "type" of dogs are winning (but remember that every judge's opinion will vary somewhat) and what type you are personally attracted to before introducing yourself to some of the breeders. Wait until Best of Breed is awarded and remember that these people will be very busy and if they are a bit "short" with you be a little understanding that this is a high stakes situation for them. Have a pen and paper available to take contact information if they don't have business cards on them at ringside. It is very important to establish a relationship with your chosen breeder over time so they know you are commited to your future dog and conversely, responsible breeders will be involved with their puppy throughout it's entire life so you need to know that you are ready to have a long term relationship with the breeder. This is just a starting point.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
3/3/2015 5:07:55 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

from my limited research into American bullies (i like the breed but cant have them here in uk)There are MANY people breeding them for money not health or good conformation. Most of the sites I came across had dogs with terrible conformation and high levels of inbreeding to these dogs and no mention of health testing just talking about extreme features and price tags. so you need to be VERY careful where you go to get one.

so you need to as advised lurn about what the breed is meant to be, how its meant to look, how its meant to act, what health testing they should have.

Then go to shows/sporting events and meet people and speak to them about their dogs, maybe even find a mentor. A good breeder will want to know all about you before letting you have one of their pups and can become a friend.

Once your known in the breed a bit get on a list for a puppy with show potential (as no one can say a pup is show quality as they change so much when maturing).

Once you have you first bully and have been doing well in shows/sports get any health testing needed then research into dog breeding and puppy raising and as its so much more than just putting the dogs together, things can and do go wrong, females and whole litters can die. so you need to know what to expect, what can go wrong, how to spot when it has gone wrong and know what to do, and how to raise well adjusted, strong healthy puppies.
Then you will need to lurn about breeding the bully, things like are there any mating/whelping problems in the breed?

it will likely be years before your ready to take on breeding as there is so much to lurn if you want to do it responsibly.

once you know all about breeding, if your girl has passed her health testing and has proven herself a good example of the breed you can speak with her breeder to lurn what lines are behind her, what lines will go with her. You will know from showing what her weak points are and will need to find a stud who is strong in those points, health tested and is a good example.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
3/3/2015 5:18:38 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

personally I like some of the photos of the bullys at 'the bully market'. there site was advised to me by someone when I said I liked the smaller sized bullys. but I know nothing of how good a breeder they are.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 3/3/2015 5:19:27 PM
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/3/2015 7:57:19 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

The one thing I can say is do not rush into breeding.

Use this time to research, research, research!

- Visit as many breeders' websites as you can. Compare. Take notes.

- Read and familiarize yourself with the breed standard. Compare breeders' dogs with the standard and note how they do or do not fit the standard.

- Go to shows, even if you are not participating, and even if there aren't any ABs entered. Get to know the show ring and how it works. I've found that, even though I have a chosen breed, watching and studying other breeds helps me a lot!

- Start collecting books, online articles, and DVDs about showing, working, dog training, genetics (color and everything else physical).

Learn about health and familiarize yourself with the breed's health problems.

A responsible, reputable breeder is a professional within the breed.

You may have a way's to go, but don't see it as a bad thing. Your breeding program will be better the more research and learning you do, so that you can then apply your learning.

Find a mentor: a professional in your chosen breed. A non-breed mentor (a professional in another breed) is also very valuable.

There's so much to learn before becoming a breeder. Midwifery, nutrition, training, heredity and genetics, and more. It is a science and an art.

Also... it's one thing to get a dog to show, but it is a whole 'nother thing to get a dog that is exceptional. ANY dog can be shown, and if you show it enough, ANY dog can finish to its championship. However, exceptional American Bullies are not common. This is why it is imperative that you do as much research as you can.

All the best to you!

Join educational forums! Even if you have nothing to add, some popular breed forums have tons of free information about breeding and showing on them.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/4/2015 12:15:35 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

ya I've been looking into the bully market a lot they've got Beastro tearing up the ring right now. been waiting to see how the golden boy does. I actually have been following them for a while now .
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
3/4/2015 1:17:26 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

First thing I would do is go to some shows and get the experience. Study the breed, the breed standard, the health, temperament, health tests, pedigrees, etc.

Find a breeder who breeds for good health, temperament and type. Learn from them. Ask them how they pick a puppy, what they feed, how they train, how they match up a male and a female for breeding. All questions that come to mind, ask.

Talk to multiple breeders. Get mentors! They are a lifeline in the dog world.

Do not rush into breeding. It's a labor of love, and it's not for the faint of heart. You can do everything by the book and still suffer tragedy. It takes years of studying and preparing to really raise a litter that is healthy and sound, in my opinion.
 Shelador
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/5/2015 11:43:20 PM reply with quote send message to Shelador Object to Post

posted by Reflections Of
Are you breed experienced with the breed you would like to become involved in? I suggest you go online and find some dog shows in your area (these would not be AKC or CKC since APB's are not recognized by these clubs but American Staffordshire Terriers are) When you find the shows you would be able to attend, look at the schedule to find out what time your desired breed will be shown since dog shows tend to last all day. Watch the breed and see what "type" of dogs are winning (but remember that every judge's opinion will vary somewhat) and what type you are personally attracted to before introducing yourself to some of the breeders. Wait until Best of Breed is awarded and remember that these people will be very busy and if they are a bit "short" with you be a little understanding that this is a high stakes situation for them. Have a pen and paper available to take contact information if they don't have business cards on them at ringside. It is very important to establish a relationship with your chosen breeder over time so they know you are commited to your future dog and conversely, responsible breeders will be involved with their puppy throughout it's entire life so you need to know that you are ready to have a long term relationship with the breeder. This is just a starting point.
I'm feeling offended and sad sad :( the OP NEVER said APB he said American Bullies. I don't know how long you have been in show dogs in RL but in 2005 RUFUS the gorgeous Coloured Bully won the National and then followed it with BiS at Westminster in 2006. American Bulls are both AKC and CKC registered!!!
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/6/2015 12:01:46 AM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

posted by Shelador
I'm feeling offended and sad sad :( the OP NEVER said APB he said American Bullies. I don't know how long you have been in show dogs in RL but in 2005 RUFUS the gorgeous Coloured Bully won the National and then followed it with BiS at Westminster in 2006. American Bulls are both AKC and CKC registered!!!

I'm pretty sure this is what they meant by American Bully...

theabkcdogs.org/home/breeds/american-bully/standard/

I can't speak for them to know for certain, but this is the commonplace breed that comes to mind when one says "American Bully"
 Shelador
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/6/2015 12:11:53 AM reply with quote send message to Shelador Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by CountryStrong Kennels
posted by Shelador

I'm pretty sure this is what they meant by American Bully...

theabkcdogs.org/home/breeds/american-bully/standard/

I can't speak for them to know for certain, but this is the commonplace breed that comes to mind when one says "American Bully"

Yes you are right, king blazzo mentioned a dog named Beastro that he likes in an earlier post, and when I googled for that dog it looks similar to the one in the link you posted.

when I hear american bullies I always remember Rufus but technically the breed is just Bull Terrier not American Bull Terrier, 2 totally different breeds.

edited for spelling

-----
Last edited by Shelador on 3/6/2015 12:28:55 AM
 CelebrationHounds
Basic User

Basic User
3/6/2015 3:42:30 AM reply with quote send message to CelebrationHounds Object to Post

In the UK American Bullies are American Bulldogs, not Bull Terriers. They are very popular with the not so well thought of 'gangsta' generation. I know that they are generally nice natured dogs and I've met a few.

Replies in this thread : 19

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.