Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : HELP - which to keep?
 CelebrationHounds
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/5/2015 2:57:04 AM reply with quote send message to CelebrationHounds Object to Post   

I just read the SOP calculator post and now I'm really confused.
Which pup should I keep from a starter dog first gen litter? the 20.05 sop with 20ss or the 18.4 sop with 15.5ss? If I read the SOP calculator post right the 18.4 sop dog should have an adjustment of 2.25 thus giving it an adjusted sop of 20.65. Does that mean the second pup should in theory be the better one to show? Help please.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
3/5/2015 7:03:38 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Do u have links to which pups your talking about?
 Sombra Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/5/2015 8:22:19 PM reply with quote send message to Sombra Kennels Object to Post

When I was breeding source dogs in another kennel, I kept the higher ss pups. Ss can be unpredictable and I found it better to breed the 20s when I could, that way when they were up to show standards I didn't have a lot of dogs with low ss.
 Sombra Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/5/2015 8:23:18 PM reply with quote send message to Sombra Kennels Object to Post

Also, I tended to keep the dogs with fewer extreme traits. For example is pup A had a higher sop but had a lot of red traits, I kept the slightly lower sop pup with more moderate traits.
 CelebrationHounds
Basic User

Basic User
3/6/2015 3:38:41 AM reply with quote send message to CelebrationHounds Object to Post

Thanks for your input. Treestand pm'd me and I'm very grateful for their help. I'd pretty much already made up my mind that basically all my pups are not worth keeping in my kennel as they aren't as good as their dams so back to the drawing board, mores the pity.

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.