Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 19

Author Topic : any weight pullers ?
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
3/6/2015 5:05:48 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post   

any body around here have dogs that compete in weight pulling. i have been looking into it and have some questions.
 chucks dogs
Basic User

Basic User
3/19/2015 11:36:16 AM reply with quote send message to chucks dogs Object to Post

My wife has done a bit of weight pulling with two dobermans... Her SD kennel name is emrose kennels. I'm sure she'll gladly answer any questions you may have.
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
3/20/2015 11:52:09 PM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

Kellie does it with her basenji if liking into smaller breed.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/21/2015 1:33:35 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Yes I compete regularly in weight pull with my Basenjis. I also work with Mini Schnauzer and many Shepherds.
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/21/2015 7:16:37 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

Hi Kelli, Thx for checking in, hope th op asking looks here
 EmRose Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/28/2015 6:35:06 AM reply with quote send message to EmRose Kennel Object to Post

Hi, not currently weight pulling but was in the sport about 10 years ago with two Doberman Pinschers. Currently looking to get back into the sport with a much smaller dog! any questions please feel free to ask
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/28/2015 10:09:10 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

when you got their harnesses did you just measure them and get it off line or did you go somewhere and have them measure and make the harness all at once? i would rather go somewhere than do it on the internet just to make sure it is correct, but i don't have any local places that do this kind of thing.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/20/2015 1:38:11 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

You typically won't be able to find anywhere local to make one for you. They need to be made by experienced pullers that understand how the harness will affect the dog's movement and weight distribution. You need to order them online, each harness maker will have their own system for what and how they want you to measure. I love my harnesses from Missy Villines at BrownDog Designs.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/20/2015 3:57:39 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

thank you very much that is definitely the person i will be using.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2015 5:03:40 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

i have read a lot of different things stresssing the importance and difference of caring for a weight pulling dogs nails but i still fail to understand what is done differently. can anyone shed some light on this ?
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2015 4:00:13 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I personally don't do anything different other than allow them to grow a bit longer than I would for just showing. But I also do coursing/racing/agility etc. I see lots of dedicated pullers "sharpen" the nails right before a pull by dremeling the underside of the nail so it's thinner and sharper for gripping the carpet. I would assume it would then be a good idea to file off the tip and basically dull it again afterwards so that the dog doesn't break a nail during day to day activities. It probably would help to use a biotin/gellatin supplement to help strengthen the nail.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2015 4:42:17 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

thanks
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/23/2015 12:08:18 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Here are my pullers...

King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/23/2015 6:18:49 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

what organization do you go through the most. i have been looking into IWPA i think its called because they didn't seem to have anything in their rules about unregistered dogs.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/23/2015 6:20:16 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

happy :) that top one has one of the color schemes i was contemplating
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/23/2015 4:46:28 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I pull with about 7 different organizations that are open to all breeds. I think the only one that has to be "registered" is UKC. I have pulled with IWPA for 4 years. Been pulling for about 8 years in various organizations including UKC, APA, NWDA, IRONDOG, W3PO, and UPF. I used to do mostly UKC but they are not as prevalent in this area anymore and do more NWDA and W3PO which is a newer org that my friend started. I have to travel several hours for IWPA but still try to hit at least a couple of those each winter. I don't like how short their season is. Have never pulled with ADBA but hear they have opened up to all breeds now.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/23/2015 6:07:34 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

wait so what your saying is i can pull in any of those even though my dog isn't registered ?
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/24/2015 3:34:21 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

That is correct. As far as I know they accept all breeds and mixes. IWPA does require a $40 yearly membership fee though.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/24/2015 12:50:48 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

awesome I'm from missouri. it seems like a lot of them have stuff around me.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/24/2015 5:51:06 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

That's great!

Replies in this thread : 19

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.