.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Jagger dies after being poisoned at Crufts 2015
 Lazhar
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/8/2015 12:51:42 PM reply with quote send message to Lazhar Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

AN Irish Setter has died after being poisoned at Crufts, his co-owner believes. Three-year-old Thendara Satisfaction (Jagger), bred by Dee Milligan-Bott and co-owned by her and Alexandra Lauwers, collapsed after returning to Belgium the following day.

https://breedingbusiness.com/irish-setter-dies-after-being-poisoned-at-crufts-owners-say/

It is a shame to see the lengths people are willing go to, simply for a ribbon.

Hope the owners find all the support they need and that the guilty people get convicted asap.

Sad.

-----
Last edited by Lazhar on 3/8/2015 12:52:08 PM
 Stephval Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/8/2015 3:06:29 PM reply with quote send message to Stephval Kennels Object to Post

I doubt this was perpetrated by a fellow competitor... more like an extremist.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/8/2015 4:21:57 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I think it's very easy to jump to conclusions - I really do doubt the dog was poisoned at Crufts. Owners are generally paranoid about leaving dogs unattended so it's pretty unlikely the dog was given food or water that had been 'spiked'.
If in fact the dog ingested a poison its more likely to have been something it found whilst being exercised, maybe rat poison at the ferry port (even in a minute amount) or a puddle with anti-freeze.
It's terribly sad but every year something like this makes the press, because it's great to condemn Crufts and the world of dog showing.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/8/2015 4:25:06 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I must say I wonder who/why this was posted on SD. The poster is a basic who just joined today and appears to have taken the time to post but hasn't yet picked any dogs to play the game with.....
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2015 11:53:14 AM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

posted by mournebrake
I must say I wonder who/why this was posted on SD. The poster is a basic who just joined today and appears to have taken the time to post but hasn't yet picked any dogs to play the game with.....
It does sound very sketchy....
 Magyar Kutya
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2015 5:06:22 PM reply with quote send message to Magyar Kutya Object to Post

The press have grabbed this and run with it, giving it a massive amount of coverage, with the breeders and owners holding press conferences here and in Belgium. I hate to say it but it reminds me of those held when a child goes missing and is found murdered.
To lose a pet is devastating, to have one killed is incomprehensible for most of us but I wonder why the coverage is so extensive in this instance. I heard one report today valuing the dog at £50,000 - how/why/who put this price on this dog's head?
I must admit I am now fascinated to know what the toxicology report contains.

Don't get me wrong my heart goes out to these people, who all seem genuinely heartbroken over this dog's death, but I also remember other dogs in past years who have been unwell, or died after attending shows all over the World. They never had more than a passing mention in the dog weeklies.
 Mirage.
Basic User

Basic User
3/12/2015 7:31:25 AM reply with quote send message to Mirage. Object to Post

It has since been said that the dog was most likely to have been poisoned the day following competition when it was in Holland...
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/16/2015 6:41:51 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

This up to date report says the poisons were fast acting and the stomach contents were undigested which leads the experts to believe the dog WAS NOT poisoned in the UK

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31913792
 RobinWhiskers
Basic User

Basic User
3/16/2015 7:43:53 PM reply with quote send message to RobinWhiskers Object to Post

I can't imagine how sad Jagger's human parents must be. I don't know how anybody is cruel enough to leave out dog poison. Jagger will be remembered forever.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/18/2015 10:09:37 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

Really confused at to why this was pushed into the public eye as much as it was, especially as the accusation against Crufts Show was later proved to be false - the whole affair seems very odd indeed.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/18/2015 5:19:23 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I think it stinks of the anti-dogshow fraternity press pushing it, HOWEVER I do think the 'specially prepared statements' that the breeders and the owners both here and in Belgium read out to the tv crews were a bit 'over the top'.

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.