Search

.com Forum · Off Topic Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Organic Raw Food?
 gregorbernese
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/11/2015 6:41:21 AM reply with quote send message to gregorbernese Object to Post   

I've been pretty much hit pretty hard by a lot of health hazards with regards to my furry friends. Problems related to illnesses because of synthetically processed foods have been observed. However, to suggest to switch them immediately to an organic diet with raw food is a huge risk - as they're all very picky eaters and won't eat anything else other than what I've been feeding them. I am all for tips how to gradually "wean" them from the processed dog foods and treats. I'm at my wits' end. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Gregor
behrenskennel.se
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/11/2015 7:20:14 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Most dogs take readily to a BARF diet, even toy breeds. Obviously its easier if you can start them off as pups on raw and veg, but try giving each of them a raw chicken wing or turkey neck as a treat to 'play' with after their normal food (given when they aren't really hungry so they don't gulp it down). Try buying turkey mince and substituting half their processed food with raw, grate veg on top, try getting them to take natural yoghurt off a spoon or your fingers. Switch, it'll be the best thing you ever do - oh and poo picking is so much easier too!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2015 3:14:15 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

You don't have to do it raw. Will they eat a a bit of chicken from your hand? Try shedding it into their regular kibble.

I don't feed raw, I'm not comfortable with it. I do cook for my dogs and have done so for several years. They seem to do well on it and never refuse a meal.

Will they eat a a bit of chicken from your hand? Try shedding it into their regular kibble.

Do do it gradually and see how it goes.

Here's my recipe:
All ingredients come off the same grocery shelves as my own food - that's the important part I think.

I have a big stew pot and I start with all the veggie water I have saved frozen over the previous week or so. I add 'no salt added' beef/chicken broth if needed. I add hamburger, chicken (de-boned and de-skinned), sliced frozen carrots, green beans, broccoli, a can of no salt tomato, and a can of yellow wax beans. Toward the end I add 6 eggs, brown rice and oatmeal (porridge). Every other batch I'll add a package of liver (I pre-boil then slice it cause I can't handle it raw at all - icky.) I usually cut off the soft knuckle ends of the long bones and add that back to the pot. If I'm feeling energetic I'll split the long bones and put the marrow in the pot.

When it's cooled sufficiently I spoon it into those plastic storage boxes, two days to a box and freeze it.

Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 4:08:17 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I found it was best to switch the dogs cold turkey.

First off you need to decide what type you are going to feed, BARF, cooked, prey model raw, or whole prey. After you decide that, I suggest joining a few forums that feed the way you would like to, so you do not get conflicting info.

My researching led me to prey model raw and a wonderful website that helped me through transition and with any questions I may have, even now. www.preymodelraw.com

If you decide to feed veggies and fruits, make sure to purée them, as dogs' bodies are not able to break down fruits and veggies.

Best of luck in your search! happy :)
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/17/2015 4:28:08 AM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

Dehydrated feed bridges the gap between people who want to get away from kibble but don't want to jump into raw. It is the next best thing to raw. It isn't cooked, just dried/dehydrated.

My cat eats Honest Kitchen but there are multiple others that are more affordable. I can attest to the quality of Honest Kitchen though. It smells good, and my cat loves it, strangely enough. She now eats Honest Kitchen and raw after 8 years of eating kibble, and is doing very well.

Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/28/2015 3:02:46 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

posted by Dreisaiah Hundehutte
My cat eats Honest Kitchen but there are multiple others that are more affordable. I can attest to the quality of Honest Kitchen though. It smells good, and my cat loves it, strangely enough. She now eats Honest Kitchen and raw after 8 years of eating kibble, and is doing very well.
Do you rehydrate it for your cat? My almost 9 year old picky, overweight cat has refused to switch to raw. I guess if she won't eat it, the dogs can. I would just love to get her off of kibble and onto a more species appropriate diet!
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/29/2015 7:02:45 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

Yes, you add warm water and mix it in. She loves it. It's human grade. While it may seem expensive for the size of the box, you gotta remember it's dehydrated; therefore, a little goes a longer way than kibble. There's no filler at all.
 SmokeJumper Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/30/2015 3:16:00 PM reply with quote send message to SmokeJumper Kennel Object to Post

Thank you, I'll have my husband pick some up on his way home from work!
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/4/2015 3:42:13 AM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

How is it going?
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
4/15/2015 1:01:30 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

She is stubborn and refuses it. I guess I'll just keep her on kibble and try raw with the next cat. I've been trying to get her to eat anything but kibble for 2 and a half years. She hates canned food with a passion.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.