Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Looking for a rare breed to get into? Here's a few that need help!
 Cuon
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/18/2015 7:37:39 PM reply with quote send message to Cuon Object to Post   

this post has been edited 8 time(s)

I figured I'd help out people looking to help rare breeds since I have too much time on my hands LOL. These may not be 100% accurate and will change as time goes on. I'm marking the breeds I'm in, so you can contact me if you would like to get in to the breed happy :).
So, here's a list of breeds in need in a couple categories:

Breeds with 2 or less breeders (excluding basic accounts and accounts with less than 3 dogs of the breed):
Puli (1 breeder)
German Spitz (1 breeder)
Maltese (1 breeder)
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (2 breeders, one of my breeds)
Silky Terrier (2 breeders)
Komondor (2 breeders)
Spanish Water Dog (2 breeders)
Kuvasz (2 breeders, one of my breeds)
Toy Fox Terrier (2 breeders)
Black Russian Terrier (2 breeders)
Lakeland Terrier (2 breeders)
Clumber Spaniel (2 breeders
Polish Lowland Sheepdog (2 breeders)
Welsh Terrier (2 breeders, one of my breeds)
Lagotto Romagnolo (2 breeders)
American Foxhound (2 breeders)
Standard Schnauzer (2 breeders)
Miniature Poodle (2 breeders)
Estrela Mountain Dog (2 breeders)
Sussex Spaniel (2 breeders)
Yorkshire Terrier (2 breeders)

Breeds with 60 or less dogs:
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (15 dogs, one of my breeds)
Puli (17 dogs)
Silky Terrier (19 dogs)
Toy Fox Terrier (30 dogs)
Komondor (34 dogs)
Black Russian Terrier (36 dogs)
Welsh Terrier (37 dogs, one of my breeds)
Maltese (40 dogs)
Spanish Water Dog (42 dogs)
Kuvasz (45 dogs, one of my breeds)
Finnish Spitz (46 dogs)
German Spitz (51 dogs)
Welsh Springer Spaniel (52 dogs)
Redbone Coonhound (52 dogs)
Otterhound (55 dogs)
Kooikerhondje (57 dogs)
Portuguese Water Dog (59 dogs)
Lakeland Terrier (60 dogs)

-----
Last edited by Cuon on 3/18/2015 8:36:01 PM
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/18/2015 7:55:59 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

But do we need breeders or do we need exhibitors?
 Cuon
Basic User

Basic User
3/18/2015 8:11:01 PM reply with quote send message to Cuon Object to Post

All of the breeds that need more exhibition are already listed on the "Information - Breeds" page. All of the breeds on the bottom of the list need more people showing.

I made this list so people can have a more in-depth info of what breeds need help, not just the breeds needing more dogs in shows. Many of the breeds need all three categories, exhibitors, breeders and more dogs.
 speedy2
Basic User

Basic User
3/19/2015 4:46:30 AM reply with quote send message to speedy2 Object to Post

Wow - what do you do when there is only 1 dog and 2 bitches in the breed? Go to source dogs?
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/19/2015 5:16:10 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

The bigger picture is that in certain breeds (not naming names) 1 or 2 kennels dominate. Maybe it becomes apparent why these breeds are 'closed' when you search for stud dogs. If basics are encouraged to join these breeds because these breeds need help, and then they find out that they can't breed to anything other than a source bred dog (that they have to create) it's no wonder they switch to a more popular breed where they can at least find a high SOP stud. Once basics pass their 30 day breeding window they can do nothing to get anywhere in any breed except upgrade.

My feeling is that in any breed that doesn't have at least two studs from 2 kennels available should have an Admin-generated and owned stud available in that breed and that dog should have a comparable SOP with the highest percentile of current dogs in kennels in that breed.
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
3/19/2015 6:50:34 AM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

I started in a couple of "rare" breeds when I came back to the game a couple of months ago. I emailed all the kennels listed that had dogs in their kennel, to introduce myself and let them know that I'd be interested in puppies or breeding stock, if they had any available. I got responses from some and not from others. I also trolled through pedigrees to locate kennels that had been active previously, and was able to find a couple of dogs for sale or at stud that weren't listed because they were in inactive kennels-but was able to buy them and breed or use for stud. I also started a couple of source lines in each in anticipation of running into a genetic bottleneck, and kept the pups that had traits the breed needs. With the log in bonus, I can afford to enter a bunch of dogs for majors, and if I'm the only one showing I don't worry about handlers. if someone else start showing, I may put a handler on one or two. I put dogs up for sale and for stud and hope that someone will come in. Canaans has gone from 3rd last to in the 90s since I started. There are a couple of other people with a dog or two showing now, and one kennel that doesn't show or list studs-but that's their choice and I don't worry about it. Kooikerhundje just lost one of the biggest breeders-so if anyone wants to start up with them I will be happy to help! I'm pretty much the only one showing right now but just had some really nice litters. If anyone is interested in either of those breeds feel free to contact me-CS Animalia for Canaans and CirclingSky for Kooikers.
 Go Direct Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 3:17:58 PM reply with quote send message to Go Direct Kennels Object to Post

Anyone interested in Black Russian Terriers. I can help. I have some in my Blue Water kennel. We recently lost another breeder and studs.
 xo6serena9ox
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 3:19:14 PM reply with quote send message to xo6serena9ox Object to Post

Anyone interested in a Clumber Spaniel, I currently have 2 that will be up for sale when they are finished. Both are competitive SOPs, and would make great breeding/showing stock.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 8:02:42 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I have Bergamasco pups, 1st gen from source, will breed up quickly.

Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 9:11:05 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I will have Silkie Terriers early next if anyone is interested.

I've not been showing because it's no fun being the only one.
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/24/2015 11:48:30 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

I timed out on my post above.
 Blue Water
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2015 8:51:29 AM reply with quote send message to Blue Water Object to Post

I am interested in possibly picking up a couple of WPG if they are available. I see that only one dog is for stud and that is 9% SOP.

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.