Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : First Weekend Out with a BANG!!!
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/23/2015 5:01:00 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

Jammer. Ch Trumpets We Will Rock You.

We had our first show weekend in Raleigh NC over the past 5 days. I have been showing my Standard Poodle for half a year and switched over to my new boy. Entered in Juniors, BOB and Ownerhandler....

The first time walking in the ring with him, after only having him for 2 weeks. He had not been shown in a year and we blew everyone away!

*It was only me and his half brother and full sister in breed. His Halfbrother is in the top 5 for the breed so we had no chance of beating him.*

Day 1: Select Dog / Owner Handler BOB / Owner Handler Group 1 / 2nd In Juniors in a class of 3

Day 2: Select Dog / Owner Handler BOB / Owner Handler Group 1 / 4th in Juniors in a class of 4

Day 3: Select Dog / Owner Handler BOB / Owner Handler Group 2 / No placement in Juniors ( 7 Juniors )

Day 4: Select Dog / Owner Handler BOB / Made an unofficial 5th in a class of 11 in juniors

Day 5: Select Dog / Owner Handler BOB / Owner Handler Group 2 / 4th in Class out of 10 juniors

Before this point I had also never placed in my juniors class. The first day I beat a junior who won Best junior 2 days there and the last day I beat 3 other juniors with multiple Best Junior awards. In the Owner Handler groups I beat a Boston and Bulldog who both had multiple regular and owner handler groups placements.

Here are some pictures!

mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/23/2015 7:05:24 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Well Done!!
 Kovert
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 10:37:13 AM reply with quote send message to Kovert Object to Post

Congrats! He is a gorgeous boy!

Is Coal happier now that he's not showing? I thought I remembered you had said he wasn't too keen on showing?
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 11:15:15 AM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

First of all, congratulations on your lovely dog's accomplishments but I hope you are doing some Rally, Obedience &/or Agility with Coal! Poodles are very smart and very competitive in performance events and it will make you a better handler by learning focus and cue-ing techniques as a novice in the sport of dogs. Learning with a "made" dog is a rewarding and sound basis but you also need to work on your new skills with more challenges which Coal can provide for you while having tons of fun for both of you. In our Jr Kennel Club we were not allowed to do only Conformation since "dressing up and posing" doesn't make you a great handler happy :).
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 11:26:52 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Coal was shaved down. Since then he is exactly the same but way more goofy. He will be 2years old in less than 3 days but he is very puppy like. He just likes to run around and play with toys all day. I'm teaching him to water retrieve. As far as or
Erofrmance events he can not do them because he is not in an apporoved haircut. He is also too immature to learn the commands needed for performance. I'd love to do agility or flyball or even dock diving but it's too expensive for classes.

Also since I aspire to become a professional handler. At the moment being I need to focus more on my conditions, terminology understatement and ring handling with my dogs.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 11:28:39 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Jammer is no push button dog. He gives me a run for my money. Very distracted and likes to sit in the ring. I constantly have to work to get expression and animation from him. Luckily he is of great quality.
 Briarmoore
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 12:18:39 PM reply with quote send message to Briarmoore Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I'm not sure who told you Poodles have to be in an approved clip to compete in performance events, but that's not correct. They can compete in a pet clip.

On the point of becoming a professional handler, I actually think doing some performance events gives you invaluable training knowledge that can be applied to handling. I used to do performance events, breed and Juniors at shows. All of my Juniors dogs at least passed the CGC while I was handling them, two were also therapy dogs and another has obedience/rally titles as well. Performance events help you learn to read and communicate with dogs in ways that will help you better handle your show clients. Because I have a background in obedience, I have been able to take on some really nice but difficult dogs and not only teach them to show and love the ring, but win with them too.

Edited to add: HUGE congrats on the placements and wins!! I still remember the first time I placed in my Open class in Juniors. Got a 2nd place with my little pet Scottie in a big class, all of the other kids who placed were Westminster qualified and showing champions. I burst into tears as soon as i got out of the ring because my parents had spent the night before telling me to quit because I'd never get anywhere. Keep working and learning, and enjoy your time with your new boy but don't give up on your Poodle either. You will learn so much about showing through teaching a dog that doesn't like showing much to love the ring. It took me 10 years to get it right with my Golden... we only ever did one show where she loved every minute of it. I'm not saying that you need to put your boy back in a show cut, but if you can keep trying new things and get to the point where one day you can get through a handling class or Juniors at a match show where he is loving the showing thing, the reward at the end is indescribable.

-----
Last edited by Briarmoore on 3/24/2015 12:27:17 PM
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 6:30:07 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

A poodle has to be in sporting clip and he is not in one.
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 6:39:42 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

Beach Dunes, Poodles do NOT require any special cut to participate in ANY performance event in AKC!! Whoever told you that does not know what they are talking about. Also, even puppies of a few months old are capable of learning ... we have a 9 mon old Golden in our club who just earned his RN with all scores in the 90"s!! You have a LOT to learn and Coal can be a wonderful teacher if you let him happy :)
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 7:26:27 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I've gone to AKC reps and asked this question.

I'm just not very interested in doing performance events over conformation. I don't have the time, money or resources.
 Sombra Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2015 7:59:13 PM reply with quote send message to Sombra Kennels Object to Post

Congrats on the wins with Jammer!
I will second that competing and training in various performance events has made me significantly better as a handler.
It may also qualify you for certain wins/awards if you belong to your breed club.
Training also significantly bonds you to the dog.
Are you keeping Jammer after you age out?
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2015 2:41:01 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Dogs definitely do not have to be in any particular cut to show in performance events. The dog is being judged on his performance only. I imagine there are obedience judges out there that have never set foot in a poodle ring and would therefore not necessarily recognize the different clips acceptable in the breed ring.

From the Obedience Regulations:
"An obedience judge is not required to be familiar with the breed standards or to scrutinize each dog as in dog show judging..."

Congrats to your recent successes and best of luck in your future showing endeavors! laugh :D
 Boodie Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/29/2015 10:01:12 PM reply with quote send message to Boodie Kennels Object to Post

Congrats on your wins.. and such a gorgous boy!

-Gio

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.