.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Rachel Barnette announces retirement
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

System.__ComObject Forum Moderator
3/31/2015 1:53:51 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post   

Rachel Barnette has decided to retire from judging after judging the December 2015 Pyrenean Shepherd Nationals on 12/22/2015
 Kovert
Basic User

Basic User
3/31/2015 2:35:30 AM reply with quote send message to Kovert Object to Post

We will miss you Rachel!
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
3/31/2015 8:56:05 AM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

I guess she finally got caught taking all those bribes from Saluki handlers and decided to retire early. wink ;)

Will
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/31/2015 10:03:44 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

nooooooo i liked her i hate assigning handlers happy :)
 Wicked Kisses
Basic User

Basic User
3/31/2015 1:01:02 PM reply with quote send message to Wicked Kisses Object to Post

Retiring on my birthday wink ;) Will miss her...loved being able to skip assigning a handler...

Taylor
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/1/2015 11:27:26 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

And there was no new owner-judge to replace her.

Not happy. I don't think every show show should be non-handler but they are far too scarce these days.
 Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
4/1/2015 12:06:48 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

April Fool's ?
 Crystal Cove Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/1/2015 12:23:41 PM reply with quote send message to Crystal Cove Kennels Object to Post

Aprils fools... She was a very popular judge
 Cloudpointe Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/1/2015 4:37:35 PM reply with quote send message to Cloudpointe Kennels Object to Post

Nooo I loved what she did with both by Chessies and Buhunds...
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/1/2015 11:16:08 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Yet another handler free judge bites the dust.
Bummer!
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
4/2/2015 4:53:14 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

Next time folks put stuff to a vote... think long and hard before you vote for change...

We voted to get rid of the one way to get No handler shows without having to wait for the randomized judge to be generate one.

Will
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/2/2015 5:00:42 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

That feature was being terribly abused. It had to go.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/2/2015 10:48:52 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Yes it was being over-used but it was obviously very popular with users.

Folks also complain, bitterly sometimes, when someone happens to enter early on a regular basis and snags all the best handlers. It produces bad vibes in the game.

One solution would be to increase, not decrease, the total number of owner-judges so that they appear more often with the random selection. Four owner-judge shows per week would not be out of line in my opinion.
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
4/3/2015 3:06:49 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Personally I think that too many judges with owner handler preferences cheapens part of the actually game play aspect of showing dogs in this game.

I don't think the solution is to add more owner handlers (though having a couple more would be nice) or to bring back the ability to assign judges (as this was being abused in other more detrimental ways aside from filling the schedule with owner judges).

A better solution would be to add more judges that have a wider range of skilled handlers that they favor; that way more people could enter under each judge comfortably with handlers that will get their dogs looked at (doesn't have to be the highest ranked handlers as even handlers that rate 15-27 can net you wins). It has the potential to be the best middle ground.
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/3/2015 1:17:30 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Well, people in my breed have gotten accustomed to entering handler shows with no handlers. Obviously these OH handlers have been influential but that personally puts me in a weird spot. Do I forgo handlers (and give up show/group placements possibly) to maintain harmony so people will continue to enter or be the 'bad guy' and snag points? I generally opt for the former. The excessive handler fee probably doesn't help either.

I agree with Drake - if we can get past having Ellen, Maret, Robert, etc., winning all the time and actually using all of the handlers the website has within the scope of the judge's preference, there will be less of a handler rush and more of a focus on entering.
I've been in more popular breeds so I get it. But these OH judges do have their preference and put up the same dogs over and over again so it's not a totally unbiased system, either. Welcome to dog shows, I guess!

eta I have no problem with OH judges at all. Bruce Bass is my favorite judge on here and I'll be sad to see him go.

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 4/3/2015 1:21:50 PM
 Quileute Legends
Basic User

Basic User
4/4/2015 10:48:53 PM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post

posted by Drake Creek Meadows
A better solution would be to add more judges that have a wider range of skilled handlers that they favor; that way more people could enter under each judge comfortably with handlers that will get their dogs looked at (doesn't have to be the highest ranked handlers as even handlers that rate 15-27 can net you wins). It has the potential to be the best middle ground.
I completely agree with Drake on this suggestion. I have been playing the game for nearly 9 years and I've always wondered why some judges only have 'three' decent handlers that they favour that are likely to win your dog a placement.

I think we need more judges that like at least 6-8 decent handlers.

There are some judges like Sarah Brush, Scott Jackson, Maria Mohr, and Linda Gross who only like 3 decent handlers. Yet there are other Judges such as Alexander Crossland, Daniel Hall, Ester Arriaga and Patrick Tatum who like 6 decent handlers.

The more 'decent' handlers a judge prefers the more players can assign dogs to them.

On a side note - there has been mention of people not wanting to be the 'bad guy' who enters their dogs in shows and takes the best handlers. I personally don't understand why this is considered to be 'bad' - this is a game of strategy however it is also played by thousands of people all over the world who are all in different time zones - so I think everyone has a pretty fair chance of entering their dogs and getting good handlers. I never look at the SD time when I enter shows and I always enter shows at different times of the day.
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/4/2015 10:59:50 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Quileute Legends
On a side note - there has been mention of people not wanting to be the 'bad guy' who enters their dogs in shows and takes the best handlers. I personally don't understand why this is considered to be 'bad' - this is a game of strategy however it is also played by thousands of people all over the world who are all in different time zones - so I think everyone has a pretty fair chance of entering their dogs and getting good handlers. I never look at the SD time when I enter shows and I always enter shows at different times of the day.
Like I said, I have no qualms about it aside from the fact that breed entries for my breed are a hit and miss as it is. I finish dogs however I can. However, putting on a handler over OH dogs feels like a cheap win anyway, like stacking entries for majors. The issue here is not handler hogging but lack of them... that's my breed, anyway.

Eta lack of them probably for that reason, only the top few place over and over again

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 4/4/2015 11:04:03 PM
 SL Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
4/5/2015 12:00:10 AM reply with quote send message to SL Whippets Object to Post

I agree with adding more 'skilled' preferred handlers...

In some breeds, if the top three handlers are chosen, it is a waste of money to enter.. Especially if you are campaigning a dog. I think this is why some of the more popular breed entries are so spread out...

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.